Nox 600 for Pounded Sites?

OP
OP
K

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having owned a 600 in the past I can strongly advised if you want an Equinox to get the 800 instead. The lack of extra features on the 600 will have you forever guessing what you are missing. While I no longer own an Equinox surely if I were to do it all over again, the 800 would have been purchased instead. I also had the small coil and was not particularly impressed with it. Again, if you are intent on getting an Equinox get the 800.

Thanks, Rob. That's basically what I'm worried about -- lingering regret about not getting the more advanced model. Also interesting to hear that the 6" coil didn't impress you that much. What about it didn't you like?

-Ken

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
LOL, thanks for the info. When I owned a CTX, I was very impressed with its ability to handle EMI, and was hoping the Nox would be similar. But as Donut pointed out, the Nox might be more prone to it due to increased sensitivity... I've also heard that the Nox can still go deep even if sensitivity is reduced to 16 or so, so I guess that's what I'd try in a tough EMI situation.

-Ken
Hay Ken when you have trouble with EMI try this. First go to single frequency of 10khz and lower the sensitivity. I sometimes go below 10 or even 8. It work for me sometimes.
Depth there have been timed I have gone as deep as my elbow on the beach on a quarter TID and it ended up being a hot wheel. Sometimes I keep digging wondering what the heck I’m doing digging so deep. But sometimes it pays off.
Thats why I think the 800 is so hot with the multi freq, but I’m not an engineer so I’m just guessing.
Doug

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both and when I do happen to use the 600 it feels like a hand is tied behind my back as far as settings adjustments goes. People go on about the 800 and wireless make it worth the extra money but IMO the real value is in the tones and zone adjustments and other fine tuning of the 800. I always recommend if it is possible to spring for the 800 model.

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was an early purchaser of the 600 as there weren't any 800s to be had. I hunt almost everyday and logged 1000s of hours. The first 18 months or so I was thrilled and busy learning the machine. I'm still happy and feel fortunate to have the 600 but when I get my 2nd machine it'll be an 800...if only for the expanded recovery speeds alone. Two speeds (I don't seem to ever be able to use recovery1) is just not enough...and never having used 40mHz I'd like to see if it would unlock some of my highly mineralized fields.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember about pounded sites. I have hunted one site on and off for 10 years. I have used at least 6 machines there. Any time you switch machines, and it really doesn't matter, you will find more items. I have never seen a machine that was so much better than another one for a pounded site. Once upon a time ago, there was a site that only White's machines had hit. When I went in there with a Tesoro big box, I forget which one, but a 1988 model, I pulled over 100 buttons and all kinds of other stuff out of the little camp. Years later went back with an AT Pro and pulled out more stuff. My friends used a Fisher and did well, then someone brought in a Minelab and did well. Then the freezes and thaw came and we repeated the above and always got something else out of the camp. There are hundreds of factors that go into digging missed targets. I found out a long time ago near freezing temps helped my Tesoros a lot. I'd find stuff that was just plain missed before.

The 600 should be sufficient for your needs. As would be the 800, or whatever comes out soon from the manufacturers. I'd like to see what one of the Makros would do to that old site, but its now off limits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread