Nox 600 for Pounded Sites?

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd been thinking of getting an 800 next spring... no sense letting the warranty dribble away over the winter when the ground is frozen. What I want to use it for primarily is old sites that have been heavily hunted over the years. In particular:
  • Old inner-city house sites where the trash is typically iron and there may be a lot of EMI due to overhead power lines, lots of WiFi routers in nearby buildings, etc.
  • Old parks and schools where the trash is typically more modern and EMI usually isn't an issue.

I've read enough reports of folks pulling old coins with the Nox from well-hunted sites that I want to see for myself what it can do. I figured I'd get an 800 because of the extra settings available; the included wireless module/headphones aren't a big deal for me because I could use my Z-Lynk system or something similar instead.

However, this recent Christmas promotion where Minelab is including a 6" coil with the 600 at a great price may be an offer I can't refuse :-)

So my question is: Is the 600 a decent choice for the type of hunting I've described above, or is the extra control you get with the 800's expanded settings needed for those situations?

Thanks,

-Ken

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
The module that comes with the 800 you can place in your back pocket ( or to the band on the back of your hat and won’t even know it’s there and plug in earbuds it is Bluetooth. You will not have to take off the cap on the back of the unit.
i have the z link and never use it on the 800.
600-800 , more bells and control. I am glad I went with the 800 even though I don’t hunt gold. I’m thinking in the future of getting the 600 for a backup and as my main water unit.
Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 600 can get it done, but hooking Z-Lynk up to the Equinox is really a kludgy solution because you would have to come up with an adapter to accommodate the Z-lynk transmitter (Equinox uses a funky threaded recessed 1/8" phono jack designed to accommodate waterproof headphones with a proprietary screw in connector) and then you would have something dangling off the control head. If you go the 600 route, I would get a decent set of BT APTX LL headphones/ear buds that can be purchased for between $30 and $60 so you can have a true wireless solution with no dangling dongles. The thing has two built in radios (APTX LL BT and a proprietary ML low latency wireless system called Wi-Stream). Hanging another transmitter off the thing is just kind of ridiculous even if you DO already own the Garrett solution, which in and of itsrlf is decent.

Now regarding 600 vs. 800, suggest you read this thread

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...arily-most-important-thing-missing-600-a.html

which tells you all the differences between the 600 and 800 so you can decide for yourself if you can deal with the missing features, reduced ability to tweak tones, recovery speed, and iron bias. ML recently fixed the 600 backlight issue with the latest firmware update.

Note tha gold mode is not just for gold and I have used it successfully for relic hunting under challenging conditions associated with thick iron or high mineralization.

Performance wise, the 600 can get it done as well as the 800 under most situations and most folks are happy with their 600's, but there are some outliers where it is convenient to have the extra settings and capabilities on the 800, so you don't have to wonder what if I had an 800.

HTH

OP
OP
K

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks vferrari and Donut for the info! I hadn't considered that using a Z-Lynk with the Nox would be such a hassle. I'll read the thread vferrari recommended and think on things a bit, but now I'm leaning toward my original plan of getting an 800 in the spring. The 6" coil would have been nice but oh well.

-Ken

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
With the 800 you get more and don’t have to buy the extras ie; headset, Bluetooth. And just more bells and whistles.
when I got mine the dealer was trying to sell me the 600 but I looked and seen what I would need to do to it and get it right the way I wanted it, the 800 has it all in my opinion. With the extras I would have had to buy almost equaled the cost of the 800. Some don’t like the headphones but I do. I’ve worn them for 8 hrs at a time on a windy beach and they were fine. All is just my thoughts.
Doug

OP
OP
K

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if Minelab is offering this attractive bundle because sales of the 600 are lagging due to everyone wanting an 800.

-Ken

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I seen/heard roomers that a free 6” coil was added as a bonus package. But I’m not sure where it is being done threw/at.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I love my Equinox 800 (which I too recommend over the 600), it's not best machine I've ever used in areas with EMI.....especially WiFi. The CTX and Etrac do a better job of handling that problem in my experience. In heavy iron, The Deus is also an excellent choice, slightly better than the Nox. I just never could get used to the sounds it makes........kinda like stepping on my dogs chew toys!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Could that be because it is just more sensitive and that could be the reason people are finding more stuff on already hit hard by other detectors. So what I do when I am having EMI problems I have to lower the sensitivity down and sometimes a lot. Just my opinion

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if Minelab is offering this attractive bundle because sales of the 600 are lagging due to everyone wanting an 800.

-Ken

Very possible, or that the Vanquish will cause them to lag and they don't want to end up overstocked.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
With the 800 you get more and don’t have to buy the extras ie; headset, Bluetooth. And just more bells and whistles.
when I got mine the dealer was trying to sell me the 600 but I looked and seen what I would need to do to it and get it right the way I wanted it, the 800 has it all in my opinion. With the extras I would have had to buy almost equaled the cost of the 800. Some don’t like the headphones but I do. I’ve worn them for 8 hrs at a time on a windy beach and they were fine. All is just my thoughts.
Doug

You don't have to buy any bluetooth receiver with the 600, it is built in. A set of LL HPs is all needed. You are then at the point of effectively having the same operability as an 800, for way less that $899.

I already own the 6" coil with my 600, but if I was ready for an Equinox purchase added in 6" coil would make deal for me. JMOH

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
You don't have to buy any bluetooth receiver with the 600, it is built in. A set of LL HPs is all needed. You are then at the point of effectively having the same operability as an 800, for way less that $899.

I already own the 6" coil with my 600, but if I was ready for an Equinox purchase added in 6" coil would make deal for me. JMOH
Sorry if I said that incorrectly.
The WM 08 cost. $$
Bluetooth Headphones cost $$
so those expenses could go toward the 800, there is nothing wrong with the 600 either.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 600 is plenty capable. Throw in a $20 pair of low latency Bluetooth earbuds from Amazon and youve basically got an 800. Minus the higher single frequencies. Multi is all you really nead imo. If you’re digging it all like I usually do then no need for all the tone adjustments available on the 800. I run zero discrimination 95% of the time. The 600 at its highest reactivity setting(3) which is all I ever use has pulled some keepers for me from sites already pounded with my Deus and others. Throw in the free 6” coil now offered and its a no brainer

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
If you can find LL on amazon for $20 bucks let me know, I’ve been waiting the ones for over a month that are not available. Think their are being held back because of the tariffs.
As far as tones everyone detects different.
yes the 800 has more bells and whistles and I Do use them on different occasions.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having owned a 600 in the past I can strongly advised if you want an Equinox to get the 800 instead. The lack of extra features on the 600 will have you forever guessing what you are missing. While I no longer own an Equinox surely if I were to do it all over again, the 800 would have been purchased instead. I also had the small coil and was not particularly impressed with it. Again, if you are intent on getting an Equinox get the 800.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can find LL on amazon for $20 bucks let me know, I’ve been waiting the ones for over a month that are not available. Think their are being held back because of the tariffs.
As far as tones everyone detects different.
yes the 800 has more bells and whistles and I Do use them on different occasions.

Yeah I see the ones I purchased recently are currently unavailable but Im perfectly satisfied with my 600 for how I detect and the 800 would add nothing for me

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Yeah I see the ones I purchased recently are currently unavailable but Im perfectly satisfied with my 600 for how I detect and the 800 would add nothing for me
Ok that’s fine. But we can’t decide for others. All we can do is try to help them with information.

Doug

OP
OP
K

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seen/heard roomers that a free 6” coil was added as a bonus package. But I’m not sure where it is being done threw/at.

I don't think it's free, but for about $40-$50 more than the price of the basic 600 you get the 6" coil as well. Quite a deal. As far as I know all dealers should be offering it, since it's a Minelab-sponsored promo.

-Ken

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I don't think it's free, but for about $40-$50 more than the price of the basic 600 you get the 6" coil as well. Quite a deal. As far as I know all dealers should be offering it, since it's a Minelab-sponsored promo.

-Ken
Ok you are probably right and I haven’t heard the details but just only heard rumens. But that is still a good deal.

OP
OP
K

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much as I love my Equinox 800 (which I too recommend over the 600), it's not best machine I've ever used in areas with EMI.....especially WiFi. The CTX and Etrac do a better job of handling that problem in my experience. In heavy iron, The Deus is also an excellent choice, slightly better than the Nox. I just never could get used to the sounds it makes........kinda like stepping on my dogs chew toys!

LOL, thanks for the info. When I owned a CTX, I was very impressed with its ability to handle EMI, and was hoping the Nox would be similar. But as Donut pointed out, the Nox might be more prone to it due to increased sensitivity... I've also heard that the Nox can still go deep even if sensitivity is reduced to 16 or so, so I guess that's what I'd try in a tough EMI situation.

-Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread