Will Vanquish coills work on the Nox??

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I'm usually able to run Park 1 in the wet salt water sand without it falsing.

If you are doing that at default sensitivity, that's pretty good and also quite unusual. Salinity levels vary greatly so as always, YMMV. Plus single frequency machines (e.g., the AT Pro, MX Sport, and the Deus) can also get by in salt if properly tweaked but it usually comes at the expense of sensitivity and depth. There are no absolutes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are doing that at default sensitivity, that's pretty good and also quite unusual. Salinity levels vary greatly so as always, YMMV. Plus single frequency machines (e.g., the AT Pro, MX Sport, and the Deus) can also get by in salt if properly tweaked but it usually comes at the expense of sensitivity and depth. There are no absolutes.

Sensitivity is usually set at 20, sometimes I can bump it up to 22. In the Beach modes, that's usually what I run too. I sometimes toggle back and forth on a deep signal to see if there is any difference between Beach and Park, and if anything, Park 1 seems to pick up signals a little better....especially in the dry sand. If the sand is really sopping with water, and/or there is a bunch of black sand, Park 1 is out and Beach 2 is the better choice. If you use Park 1 in the wet, you probably will have to use a higher recovery speed to make it stable. I find 6 or higher cuts the chatter to a minimum.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensitivity is usually set at 20, sometimes I can bump it up to 22. In the Beach modes, that's usually what I run too. I sometimes toggle back and forth on a deep signal to see if there is any difference between Beach and Park, and if anything, Park 1 seems to pick up signals a little better....especially in the dry sand. If the sand is really sopping with water, and/or there is a bunch of black sand, Park 1 is out and Beach 2 is the better choice. If you use Park 1 in the wet, you probably will have to use a higher recovery speed to make it stable. I find 6 or higher cuts the chatter to a minimum.

Yep, I can run any Equinox mode, including Gold mode, in dry sand on a salt beach. On DAMP sand Park 1 or Field 1 will work but i have to either lower sense, up recovery speed or both which affects depth, so I usually just run Beach 1. In truly WET sand, Beach 1 is marginal, Beach 2 works, and to make anything else stable, you might as well walk around with the machine off and dig random holes. That's been my experience on east coast beaches at least.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that anyone really cares, but with the new upgrade (software) on the XP Deus it works IN the salt water, I tried it a few times and got targets to 8-10", most were 5-6". I STILL don't know how the machines really work, but I have learned to play mine!

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Raising my hand and asking a dumb question.. If you have a Minelab Equinox, with the stock coil and the optional 6" coil, why would you want or need a Minelab Vanquish?:skullflag:

1. You like the color red.
2. You like the Vanquish's coil.
3. You prefer a machine that uses AA batteries.
4. You prefer the s-shaft design.
5. You want the Vanquish's ability to collapse to a smaller package than the Equinox.
6. You want a backup or secondary detector with hopefully interchangeable coils with the Equinox.

Last edited:

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So.... are you just making up something to say, or do you have actual hands-on knowledge?

"As posted on another forum, Debbie Smikoski a USA rep for Minelab, has responded via email to an Equinox user inquiring about V8 Equinox compatibility, that the V8 will definitely not be compatible with Equinox (he only asked about the V8). She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future. Soo, there you have it and I guess we'll see what happens."

I can link to the forum post (it's not treasurenet), but I'm not sure if it's against forums rules.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"As posted on another forum, Debbie Smikoski a USA rep for Minelab, has responded via email to an Equinox user inquiring about V8 Equinox compatibility, that the V8 will definitely not be compatible with Equinox (he only asked about the V8). She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future. Soo, there you have it and I guess we'll see what happens."

I can link to the forum post (it's not treasurenet), but I'm not sure if it's against forums rules.

Links violate our rules so please dont.

I personally know Debbie, if she says no plans to build an 8" you can trust she is being up front.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I can run any Equinox mode, including Gold mode, in dry sand on a salt beach. On DAMP sand Park 1 or Field 1 will work but i have to either lower sense, up recovery speed or both which affects depth, so I usually just run Beach 1. In truly WET sand, Beach 1 is marginal, Beach 2 works, and to make anything else stable, you might as well walk around with the machine off and dig random holes. That's been my experience on east coast beaches at least.

I seem to lose some depth using the Beach modes, that's why I like using Park 1 when I can. The Gold modes are really interesting in the dry sand. If the area is pretty clean, they work great. Those modes will sure pick up the tiniest pieces imaginable, so, areas with lots of foil can be a challenge! I find stuff my pin pointer won't detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread