gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is making me nuts again as usual. They don't seem to want to make an 8" coil for the Nox yet they make one for the Vanquish. Is there a remote possibility that a Vanquish Multi IQ coil will work on a Nox, or is it just wishful thinking? I have e-mailed Minelab several times requesting they make an 8" Nox coil but they said they have no plans for one yet their newest model does. Even if the Vanquish 8" coil wasn't waterproof on the Nox I would get one if it worked.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several people "in the know" have been asked but they either truly dont know or they just wont say. Its hard to believe that another M-IQ detector wouldnt be interchangeable but who knows. Maybe the interchange chip in the coil was made to be specific for just the V.

I know Id love to know the final answer as well!

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just e-mailed Minelab customer service and asked them. Hopefully they will respond. Heck, they could just have different connectors and not work. Hopefully the multi IQ machines will have interchangeable coils like the FBS machines. But I may be overly optimistic.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked that while getting my 800 fixed and they never responded.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only da Shadow knows!

Right. And right now they are just as useful as a shadow until they are released.

It would be nice if they were compatible with Equinox and it would seem to make sense that they would be but I am not optimistic because I would have thought ML would be touting that as a selling point to Nox users plus tge open question as to whether Nox coils are compatible with Vanquish. So we'll know when we know, I suppose, and not a minute sooner.

Last edited:

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the same coil connector to start with...

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Connector is different, Enough said.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need pics or documentation otherwise hearsay. ML generally uses the same standard connector across its VLF detector line. For example, CTX and eTrac coils will connect to Equinox but you will get an error code. Thanks in advance for showing proof of your claims.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) I wish Minelab would just answer the dang question, so we can stop wondering/speculating about it.

2) If the coils are NOT interchangeable, then they NEED to make an 8" coil for the Equinox series.

3) What's taking them so long to do this?

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) I wish Minelab would just answer the dang question, so we can stop wondering/speculating about it.

2) If the coils are NOT interchangeable, then they NEED to make an 8" coil for the Equinox series.

3) What's taking them so long to do this?
Just trying to upset you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pester them with requests!! Go right to their contact page. I have e-mailed them three times so far requesting an 8" coil, maybe if they get hundreds of requests they might listen. I e-mailed Andy S last summer asking him to ask Minelab to make one since he is a dealer and may have more sway with Minelab but I never heard back from him. Maybe we should all ask every dealer we know to ask Minelab for one. Maybe if they get dealers rather than users asking they will comply. They began with the three coils only for the CTX but at least Coiltec makes optional ones. I did also e-mailed Coiltec, Nokta, and Sunray, never heard back from Nokta, Coiltec and Sunray said they have no immediate plans to make Nox coils.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is the big company. We are the tiny consumers. They will do whatever they want.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odds are they will not be compatible, Minelab makes more money with them not being compatible. All Minelab coils have a micro chip in them that talks to the motherboard, if they do not have the same chip they will not work even if connectors are the same and both are Multi-IQ

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter is probably correct. And remember the Vanquish ain't no Equinox or 3030, but it's apparently designed more as a first machine, to compete with Garrett's Ace series.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a dumb question, but how would the 8" coil be more useful than the 11"? To picture a 8" coil, just take some 1" or 3/4 " masking tape and put it around the edge of your 11"(double up to remove 2 inches), personally I do not see any advantage for tight areas, for those I would use the 6"

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a dumb question, but how would the 8" coil be more useful than the 11"? To picture a 8" coil, just take some 1" or 3/4 " masking tape and put it around the edge of your 11"(double up to remove 2 inches), personally I do not see any advantage for tight areas, for those I would use the 6"

To illustrate the advantage of the 8" (actually 8"x5" coil) vs. the 6" round vs. 11", need to go over some DD coil fundamentals, elliptical vs. round coils, and the three or four characteristics of DD coils that are important - namely, depth, swing width, swing coverage, and weight and how round vs. elliptical coils trade of these characteristics. Concentric and coaxial coils are a different animal and a the coil size comparison is completely different because the detection field is a conical rather than a vertical slice into the ground like DD's, but since there are no concentric coils available for Vanquish or Equinox, I am not going to talk about those at all.

A DD coil (think of two D shaped coils placed back-to-back with the vertical part of the D's overlapping slightly). Where the D's overlap is in the center spine area of the coil and is where the sensitive area of the coil is. While there is a small amount of edge sensitivity, your target is primarily detected when the center spine runs across the target (side-to-side). The target is detected with approximate equal strength along the entire length of the center spine and then the signal drops off at either end. That is how you can pinpoint by edging the target off either the toe (front) or heel (back) edge of the coil. Since primarily only the center spine of the coil is sensitive to targets, the diameter size of the coil doesn't necessarily determine side-to-side separation since all DD's have roughly the same active width of about 1/2 to 1.5 inches. But a smaller coil will have less targets that can show up under the center spine at any point and a smaller coil can be swung side-to-side in tight situations such as around playground equipment, near vegetation, and around structures. Of course, the trade-off for a smaller diameter round coil, is depth as explained below.

For a round DD coil, the coil diameter roughly determines its depth capability. So the 11" Equinox coil has a nominal target depth capability for a coin-sized, high conductive target of around 11" at a nominal operating frequency of about 10 khz. It can be either more or less depending a number of other factors including soil conductivity, moisture, mineralization, actual operating frequency, target profile (footprint), target mass, and target metallic composition.

For elliptical coils, such as the 8"x5" Vanquish (V8) coil, the depth is determined roughly by the width dimension, so in this case, it would perform similar to a 5-inch round coil. Or perhaps slightly less depth than the 6" round Equinox coil. However, the advantage of the 8"x5" elliptical coil vs. a 5" round or 6" round coil is that you gain the advantage of being able to swing side-to-side in tight spots like either the 5" or 6" round coils but you get the vertical swing coverage of an 8" coil. This means you don't have to tiptoe around a site making sure you get overlapping swing coverage. On the 6" round coil, you probably want to take about 5" forward steps to make sure you get overlapping swing coverage as you move forward. With the 8x5" coil, you can take 7" steps. It makes a BIG difference in how fast you can cover the area but also allows you to have the light weight similar to the 6" round coil (because it is not an 8" round coil) and the ability to get into tight spots where your side-to-side swing width is limited. So it is really not about separation but ability to swing in tight spots, light weight, and decent swing coverage. Separation is not really a function of the coil (other than smaller coils will have fewer targets under them in high target density situations), but more a function of the recovery speed of the detector.

For me, the Vanquish 10x7 (V10) coil seems to be ideal. With 10" of swing coverage and 7" of depth. I like the 12x9 (V12) stock coil of the 540 too.

Those are ideal coin and relic coil dimensions in my opinion. 7 to 9" of nominal depth and 10 to 12" of swing coverage so that you can take normal steps while guaranteeing swing coverage with both of those coils weighing less than the 11" round coil and not giving up much depth.

I am also starting to get some "in the know" folks hinting at the fact that the Vanquish coils will LIKELY be compatible with Equinox, so now my money is on Equinox compatibility.

If I'm wrong, no biggie. I can and will live with the existing Equinox coil options. But the Vanquish coils, if compatible with Equinox, really fill in an Equinox accessory coil gap that has existed ever since the Equinox accessory coils were released last year. Especially, since it appears no third parties are involved in making coils for Equinox, for whatever reason.

HTH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions