gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, it is about five days since I e-mailed Minelab USA customer service asking if the Vanquish coils will work on the Nox. Today I recieved a reply from Debbie S at Minelab USA and to my dismay and chagrin she stated positively that the Vanquish 8X5 coil will NOT be compatible with the Equinox. She also stated that Minelab's engineers were aware that there was a public demand for an 8" coil for the Nox but there were still no plans to make us one. BUMMER!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can be said? They is them and we is us.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foiled again by the fickle finger of fate, AKA Minelab

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No profit in making Vanquish and Equinox coils compatible.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, it is about five days since I e-mailed Minelab USA customer service asking if the Vanquish coils will work on the Nox. Today I recieved a reply from Debbie S at Minelab USA and to my dismay and chagrin she stated positively that the Vanquish 8X5 coil will NOT be compatible with the Equinox. She also stated that Minelab's engineers were aware that there was a public demand for an 8" coil for the Nox but there were still no plans to make us one. BUMMER!!

Boo! It is especially disappointing when they acknowledge that there is a demand for it. I don't think cost is the issue because once they sunk the cost into developing the Vanquish coil mold, that is like 80 to 90% of the cost of a coil. So even if the Vanquish V8 coil is not compatible, it is basically peanuts to make a compatible coil for Equinox once the 8x5 mold has been established. Interesting and disappointing.

Why did she not explicitly mention compatibility of the V10 or V12 Vanquish coils?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrogance. The old "who cares" syndrome.

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boo! It is especially disappointing when they acknowledge that there is a demand for it. I don't think cost is the issue because once they sunk the cost into developing the Vanquish coil mold, that is like 80 to 90% of the cost of a coil. So even if the Vanquish V8 coil is not compatible, it is basically peanuts to make a compatible coil for Equinox once the 8x5 mold has been established. Interesting and disappointing.

Why did she not explicitly mention compatibility of the V10 or V12 Vanquish coils?

Well I suppose it's my fault she didn't say anything about the V10 or V12 since I asked if the 8" coil would be compatible with the Nox without mentioning the other sizes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, humm. Minelab decided not to make an 8" coil for the Equinox.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No profit in making Vanquish and Equinox coils compatible.

BS! Selling a coil is selling a coil. It doesnt matter if they are selling 10 EQX coils and 10 V coils, or just selling 20 V coils. The ability to cross-employ a bit of equipment just saves on manufacturing costs.

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's Deb's reply verbatum.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Vanquish 5x8 coil will not be compatible with the Equinox units. We do realize that there is a market for a similar coil for Equinox, and those requests have been sent to the Engineering team. At this time, there are no plans for additional coils, but with that said, that doesn't mean that in the future there will be one offered by Minelab or a 3rd party company."

I think she meant " that doesn't mean that in the future there won't one offered by Minelab or a 3rd party company".

Maybe reading between the lines one can infer that they will allow other companies like Coiltec to make EQX coils?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Minelab will let anybody make aftermarket coils, but they are going to pay ML $$$$$ for each one of those signal conversion chips! Thats why nobody besides ML's sister company Coiltek has produced anything since the "smart coil" was introduced with the CTX.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS! Selling a coil is selling a coil. It doesnt matter if they are selling 10 EQX coils and 10 V coils, or just selling 20 V coils. The ability to cross-employ a bit of equipment just saves on manufacturing costs.

It's not BS, if someone buys the Vanquish and they also own a Nox they lose potential coil sales for the Nox if they were compatible. If it was a matter of just saving manufacturing cost then why aren't they compatible?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not BS, if someone buys the Vanquish and they also own a Nox they lose potential coil sales for the Nox if they were compatible. If it was a matter of just saving manufacturing cost then why aren't they compatible?

You cant lose a potential sale for a coil you never manufacture. For the last 7 or 8 years, ML hasnt produced any extra "smart" coils. They are clearly producing the coils sizes people want for the Vanquish, it would only make sense if they made those avail for the EQX too. I dont see a ton of people who currently own an EQX running our to buy an intro-market detector just for the coil. I could see a ton of EQX swingers running out to by V coils as accessories if they were available.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab wants you to buy detectors not just coils. Same reason they dont sell small coils for the gpx7000. They want you to buy a sdc2300 if you need a small coil option. Minelab doesnt exist to save us money unfortunately. They are very calculated business people.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab wants you to buy detectors not just coils. Same reason they dont sell small coils for the gpx7000. They want you to buy a sdc2300 if you need a small coil option. Minelab doesnt exist to save us money unfortunately. They are very calculated business people.

Spot on.

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals ,
Its always about money ...
No one really seems to care about the need for something logical or desirable until it means dollars lining someone's pocket . Thats when they say " we recognize the need for this or that "

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you figure? A coil sale is a coil sale. How many Equinox owners are going to buy a Vanquish simply for the 8" coil?

Because if someone buys a vanquish the same coils could then also be used on the Nox negating customer from possibly buying a Nox coil as a replacement or extra coil. There is a reason Minelab did not make them comatible a dollar to a donut it is financial and I cant really blame them either.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread