My response to Simplex os better than Equinox

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi-frequency has more going for it in the overall.

It's never a fair comparison to compare a single frequency machine to a multi-frequency machine.

Multi frequency has been the greatest innovation in detecting since ground balance.

Multifrequency is the last great innovation in VLF induction balance detecting that provides great performance in challenging soil and salt conditions and it may save you multiple passes through a site with machines at different frequencies, but it is really no deeper than single frequency undet ideal soil conditions on any given target. That is why people are falsely claiming the Simplex is as good or better than the Equinox, because under ideal condirions they will perform in a similar manner.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd laugh if someone tried hunting with the Simplex in the "ultra deep" field mode in the trashy parks near me. Sure, looks like a killer machine for the money in a farm field but it won't get that separation at depth in park mode. Let them find out the hard way.....that depth isn't everything....especially in a 2 tone mode!

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multifrequency is the last great innovation in VLF induction balance detecting that provides great performance in challenging soil and salt conditions and it may save you multiple passes through a site with machines at different frequencies.

Exactly correct!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd laugh if someone tried hunting with the Simplex in the "ultra deep" field mode in the trashy parks near me. Sure, looks like a killer machine for the money in a farm field but it won't get that separation at depth in park mode. Let them find out the hard way.....that depth isn't everything....especially in a 2 tone mode!

True.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am getting a simplex just for a second machine to my 800. And maybe something my wife could use if I could finally convince her to hunt with me. A detector I can keep in the car and not worry about it much since it will be a $250 investment. Now can hunt all those juicy curb sites, or volley ball courts or tot lots that I stumble across when driving, but don't have my 800 with me. I won't leave my 800 in the car. Too expensive to replace due to frequent car break in's that occur in Atlanta plus a broken window. You see a lot of cars in Atlanta with plastic trash bags and duct tape covering a busted window.

I think the Simplex will be perfect for this purpose.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own an Equinox 800 and a Simplex.
Take an novice to med experienced detectorists, they will probably find more good targets with the simplex.
with a experienced detectorists who knows both the 800 and the simplex, this person find more good targets with the 800.

Not a doubt in my mind about this.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just had to make a quick non edited response to people on youtube claiming the Simplex is better than the Equinox.

Wow! I am getting a lot of hate comments...lol.

Well you won't get a hate comment from me. But what is that video supposed to prove? swinging a nox inches over air targets? You can get the same good results with an entry level Bounty Hunter or Ace 150.

Maybe I missed a previous hate thread.

Comparing the Simplex with the Nox is natural, but I think it is more important to compare the Simplex with the Ace line or other sub $254 or $339 entry level detector.

I have owned a Nox 800 and used it since March 2018. My only detector and replacement for my AT pro.

I recently received my Simplex+ with no expectations that it was going to beat my Nox 800. I bought it as a travel and backup detector and fun detector. Sometimes the nox is not the most fun detector to use. It is complex, it is chatty because it does accurately report everything. But interpreting those results clearly is sometimes difficult. Why?

The Nox 800 can be set up in a large combinations of settings that can affect the limited (0-39) TID and certainly the audio pitch and volume. If you don't used some discipline and stick with some constant settings, learning the nox can be difficult.

Some times I want a good simple detector that has all the basics and is a very good detector. That describes the Nokta Makro Simplex. Just a fun that makes it easier to ID target type with the more standard 0-99 range like the AT Pro. I chose the Simplex rather than wait for the Vanquish because the Vanquish has the compressed 0-39 TID range and I personally don't like lumping so many different target responses into such a compressed area.

I will keep my 800 for the following reasons. The multi freq technologies and new F2 iron balance give it some abilities that most detectors do not have. I feel that with the 800 and simplex I have the best of both worlds and use each for different types of hunt sites and always have a good backup detector.

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that you're comparing a $250 machine and a $900 machine says all we need to know. Yes, the Equinox may be a better machine, but is it worth $650 more? What makes it worth that much more? The two detectors are very comparable, but when you check all the stats and price, I have to say that the Simplex is the better choice overall.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that you're comparing a $250 machine and a $900 machine says all we need to know. Yes, the Equinox may be a better machine, but is it worth $650 more? What makes it worth that much more? The two detectors are very comparable, but when you check all the stats and price, I have to say that the Simplex is the better choice overall.

If you truly did believe that, why didn't you just stick with your Bounty Hunter? Take your Simplex down to the ocean and give it a try in the salt water. Then actually try an Equinox for comparison. I think you'll be changing your mind at that point, not to mention other difficult venues.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
same old story , the latest and greatest is the best ever .you better toss your old machine and buy this one because they are junk now . detectors are regulated by the government same as as radio's transmitters and receivers they only allow so much power and it hasn't changed , only thing that different is configuration and filters and the design of coils .Use your head and learn what you already have and save your money , don't be lead down the buy the newest or your gonna miss all those coins and the other guy is going to get them ....

Once again, vferrari gets right to the heart of the matter! Above all, I appreciate your comment that depth is not everything.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Depends on where you're hunting, what you're looking for, and how often you hunt. What is the better choice for you is just that... the better choice for you.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather compare it to the AT pro.... Apples and oranges -multi vs single.... in the price range bracket the simplex probably is good value...... but is this an argument about performance or value? The 600 is also good bang for your buck.
All seems a little silly.
Nokta / Makro have had an unfortunate marketing strategy over the past 5 years...

The unfortunate Fors - heavy with that odd box , poor ergonomics( good features though)
The Racer 1 then 2 ( colour change only?)
The long anticipated Impact - also quite heavy and NOT waterproof
Anfibio
Kruzer
simplex
Arent the last 3 all waterproof versions of the Impact software? Or am I wrong?

Why not compare the Impact with the Simplex?

Chub

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Please......That was the Nokta Makro (NOMADS) starting that battle.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original point of this thread was a counterpoint to many folks who were coming out and actually saying the Simplex performed as well as or better than the Equinox. That may be true under certain limited situations where all vlf machines perform similarly (coin hunting in mild relatively trash free soil), but the Simplex is invariably less versatile overall than the Equinox when considering the full spectrum of circumstances such as wet salt beach hunting and high mineralized soil prospecting due to the inherent limitations of a single frequency vlf induction balance detector.

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the best detector to use is the one you take the time with to get the coil over the target....The " mine's bigger than yours" argument, while entertaining for a while, gets comical! I believe that knowing the machine is more important than the brand in most cases. Surely, the latest upgrades in electronic technology have improved the chances in some instances, but you still have to get over a target and know it's a target! You could take a group of people out to a place and hand them a Nox, or Simplex or Pro and get as many different results as there are people in the group. People hunt differently! Some swing a coil like they are in a hurry, some swat flies, but the slow and low come back with full bags.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the Equinox and the Simplex i can say that the Equinox beats the Simplex on depth at the beach on wet sand. On normal soil i also did some tests on normal clad and silver coins and i got the same depth with the Simplex as the Equinox. Some coins the Simplex got a better signal then the Equinox and for some other coins the Equinox got a slight better signal.

An honest answer that is, the simplex is an entry level machine that comes close to flagship machines, that's it really, other than price. I still want to see the at series against it.

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, smallfoot.

Last edited:

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the best detector to use is the one you take the time with to get the coil over the target....The " mine's bigger than yours" argument, while entertaining for a while, gets comical! I believe that knowing the machine is more important than the brand in most cases. Surely, the latest upgrades in electronic technology have improved the chances in some instances, but you still have to get over a target and know it's a target! You could take a group of people out to a place and hand them a Nox, or Simplex or Pro and get as many different results as there are people in the group. People hunt differently! Some swing a coil like they are in a hurry, some swat flies, but the slow and low come back with full bags.

I fully agree , Im a NOX owner and I love my machine - It has performed well for me and " I " believe I have the best technology available . But the key is that I have been and am learning my machine to my best potential . If you don't take the time to get to know your machine you may as well be swinging a baseball bat ..

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I was strongly thinking of getting the Simplex for a water unit and as a backup because of the cost.
but now I’m thinking twice because of having to learn and keep remembering both the simplex and the Nox 800.
but I got to thinking of the advantages and disadvantages. My conclusion is now tilting toward the Nox 600.
Why pretty much the similar program being compared to the Nox 800 and one thing else that is pushing me to the Nox 600 is that charging will be the same and with the getting the 6” as a bonus of being the backup unit available with the opposite coil. Everything is interchangeable.
Just my thoughts.
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions