5th and 6th time out with the Knox

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 5th time out with the Knox was a bust nothing old or unique but the machine worked well. Being honest it happens. The next day went out to another hunted park took the 15" coil and went to an iron infested patch. Just trying to work out how the Knox reacts. First target was a 1917 S Merc 8" down in with a nail, only got a signal from 3 directions. Second good target was a 1903 IHP 9" plus also buried with a nail. Managed to pull a 1912 V and 1917 D wheat from the same area. I dug a lot of deep square nails and some bottle caps. So now I've got to work on the Iron F2 settings. Think I'll start at 4 since it's recommended by a lot of people. Let me know what you think, use or have tried

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you are working out the Nox pretty fast. Nice results!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I am thinking I am missing some targets.

I have been in the habit of waiting for a target to be within 1 or 2 number on the TID swinging from all points on the compass. So is swinging on a target and it gives at least a solid 1-2 range say like on 31-32 in only one direction it means that there is silver down there somewhere. Been hunting at a major river crossing with 2 old stores and one old house from the late 1890's to 1900 in a very small area.

Maybe my threshold for digging is too strict. What type of iffy signals would one dig in a proven historic area such as this. I have already found one civil war relic in this area a cast piece of lead use by the soldiers as a pencil.

Need some help here. using the nox 800.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds good.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I am thinking I am missing some targets.

I have been in the habit of waiting for a target to be within 1 or 2 number on the TID swinging from all points on the compass. So is swinging on a target and it gives at least a solid 1-2 range say like on 31-32 in only one direction it means that there is silver down there somewhere. Been hunting at a major river crossing with 2 old stores and one old house from the late 1890's to 1900 in a very small area.

Maybe my threshold for digging is too strict. What type of iffy signals would one dig in a proven historic area such as this. I have already found one civil war relic in this area a cast piece of lead use by the soldiers as a pencil.

Need some help here. using the nox 800.

Right now I dig all signals from 9-40 minus 15-16. The more trash you dig the more treasure you'll find

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I dig all signals from 9-40 minus 15-16. The more trash you dig the more treasure you'll find

And it is all in context, too. Those 15-16 signals that you don't dig are just as likely civil war uniform buttons, knapsack parts, bayonet scabbard tips, or fired minie balls as they are pull tabs, can slaw, or bent and burned square nails at many of the sites I dig. Unlikely, though at the local soccer field or park (though those numbers could be a chunky white gold ring, too, so you just never really know unless you have the time, patience and discipline to truly dig it all.)

Very few folks, myself included, actually do dig it all even when they say they are doing it. If you are digging it all, you really need to dig it all because ground conditions, depth, target orientation, target condition (bent or corroded targets) and the presence of other nearby targets in the same hole all can distort and alter target visual and audio ID (the audio ID nuances give you more info about the target and highlight these possible factors). Know your site and who frequents it and who did go there in the past. After digging 15 pull tabs in a row, who really wants to dig another 12 or 14 signal just on the outside chance it is a toasty V nickel or gold ring knowing only 10 year olds go there to kick the ball around (no parents) and the field was recently covered in fill dirt. Detecting is as much about detective work, understanding people's habiits, history research, and playing hunches.

6mmslayer

Aug 17, 2019
Va
Detector(s) used
Excalibur detech coil. Tesoro tiger shark, Xp deus 2, Nokta Anfibio muli, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know unless you dig it.

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree completely , there is a certain amount of logic that must be used in treasure hunting as with any other endeavor . The process of elimination must come in to play on many possibilities , and while digging every single signal you hear may sound like the only right thing to do there stlii must be some logic used in your decision to dig .
Good luck all ...

That being said ,
Some of those non logical signals I've dug in very very ols sites have turned out to be quite rewarding .

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just never know unless you dig it.
Absolutely true, but at some point it becomes a matter of time vs productivity. No matter how much free time you may have, it is still limited. It takes time to dig those probable pull tabs that might be rings or bullets. Its all a matter of trade-offs and gambling.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And it is all in context, too. Those 15-16 signals that you don't dig are just as likely civil war uniform buttons, knapsack parts, bayonet scabbard tips, or fired minie balls as they are pull tabs, can slaw, or bent and burned square nails at many of the sites I dig. Unlikely, though at the local soccer field or park (though those numbers could be a chunky white gold ring, too, so you just never really know unless you have the time, patience and discipline to truly dig it all.)

Very few folks, myself included, actually do dig it all even when they say they are doing it. If you are digging it all, you really need to dig it all because ground conditions, depth, target orientation, target condition (bent or corroded targets) and the presence of other nearby targets in the same hole all can distort and alter target visual and audio ID (the audio ID nuances give you more info about the target and highlight these possible factors). Know your site and who frequents it and who did go there in the past. After digging 15 pull tabs in a row, who really wants to dig another 12 or 14 signal just on the outside chance it is a toasty V nickel or gold ring knowing only 10 year olds go there to kick the ball around (no parents) and the field was recently covered in fill dirt. Detecting is as much about detective work, understanding people's habiits, history research, and playing hunches.
So I I mainly detect parks that are flooded with pull tabs. The majority of them come up 15-16 so I have notched them out. I still dig a few but not as many. As far as 13-14 I dig them because we do find a lot of V, shield and Buffalo nickels in the areas we hunt. Old nickels have been hard to find and less hunted in the past so they seem to be plentiful

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely true, but at some point it becomes a matter of time vs productivity. No matter how much free time you may have, it is still limited. It takes time to dig those probable pull tabs that might be rings or bullets. Its all a matter of trade-offs and gambling.
The more times we hit a site the fewer targets we get. But we get deeper and better targets by digging all the trash out of it.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more times we hit a site the fewer targets we get. But we get deeper and better targets by digging all the trash out of it.

*IF* there actually are deeper targets in that spot. That's part of the gamble. There may be, or there may not be.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*IF* there actually are deeper targets in that spot. That's part of the gamble. There may be, or there may not be.

Theres a part we go to that coins are more than pin pointer deep. I was an old swimming area or mud beach. We've found coins at almost 12". The only way you can find out if there's deeper targets is to detected the area. The Knox has opened up previously hunted areas to deeper targets. Rarely do we find shallow coins we missed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread