Not open for further replies.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So after reading posts here about Equinox flooding problems today I decided to dunk my nox…..it flooded. I have just got off the phone to my dealer, he tells me I have just been unlucky(!) He then says they are not covered under warranty if used with wired headphones if submerged!?? I luckily had already told him I used it with bluetooth ones so he will exchange it. This is the second faulty Nox I have had, as good a machine as it is my confidence is rock bottom right now.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dealer is grossly uninformed, lacks fundamental detecting knowledge, or is potentially dishonest. Since Bluetooth cannot be used with the control head continuously submerged (a physical impossibility for low power, high frequency radio based technology), the only way you SHOULD and CAN use the Equinox submerged is with a wired set of preferably waterproof headphones. Mine lab actually sells this accessory specifically for Equinox users. The headphone connection jack is DESIGNED EXPLICITLY for submerged use. It is right in the manual. ML should be informed immediately of the nonsense this dealer is spewing to the users of their product. It is bad enough that ML quality control is letting a small number of defective units to get into the hands of their customers, but this guy is just compounding the situation by adding insult to injury with this idiocy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did actually drop it in a rockpool yesterday, I rinsed it off under a tap when I got home, maybe water got in then and I didn't notice it, who knows. Either way it shouldn't have happened. As I have posted, this is the second faulty Nox I've had now. What do I do when I get a replacement, risk it happening again? It's starting to get embarrassing keeping ringing my dealer if nothing else. Like I said my confidence in these machines is rock bottom right now.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to speculate here, for what it's worth.

I am certain that Minelab engineered the EQX design, to meet the standard of the waterproof rating that it carries. And, I am sure that they then tested their design, to confirm that it indeed performs "up to spec," and that they did not release it until the testing confirmed the design spec. And then, I think the fact that the design is sound, with respect to its waterproof rating, has been further confirmed, by the large number of folks using their Equinoxes underwater, WITHOUT leakage problems. In other words, when everything "happens properly," in terms of the production/assembly process, the machine IS waterproof to the degree Minelab states that it should be.

However, it seems clear that somewhere along the line, the "spec" that Minelab's engineering design calls for, has failed to have been met, at times. In other words, it sees pretty certain to me that the design itself is not the issue, but instead that a problem has crept in, during the production/assembly process. The issues could be many -- slight deviation from spec in terms of the size of the plastic control-box components -- resulting in a slightly improper mating of the housing parts; a bad batch of epoxy (that is not sealing the unit as it should); a lax process or procedure on the assembly line (i.e. a lack of "attention to detail" during assembly of the control-box housing); insufficiently thorough quality-control processes after assembly...the possibilities are many, but the bottom line seems to be that somewhere, something has not been done properly at times, during one or more of the production runs.

HOWEVER, I think the "good" news, for us, is that every one of these failures costs Minelab money -- both to repair/replace units, and ALSO in that some customers are being "scared off" from the Equinox as a result, just as you are stating personally, sandmartin. Thus -- I expect that there is substantial financial incentive there, to drive Minelab to have this corrected. I presume that Minelab is examining, and having discussions with everyone involved in the assembly process...parts and supplies manufacturers they contract with, the company running the assembly line, etc. etc. etc. I have to believe that Minelab would be diligently digging into why their design spec has failed to have been upheld at times -- thus resulting in these failures that are being observed.

The "moral of the story" here, is that I am sure Minelab will get this issue corrected; I think most would agree that the design itself is not the issue -- again, there are large numbers of units clearly being submerged, that are performing as Minelab has intended/specified. Instead, it seems that something is happening during the production/assembly process, somewhere along the "supply chain," where the spec is NOT being met, and I fully expect they will correct this -- if they haven't already. I would think that the observed "failure rate" is probably higher than they intend, and I am confident they will get to the bottom of it, find out where the "ball is being dropped," and take corrective action.

This is such a nice machine, and is SO popular amongst users, that I am sure Minelab will get to the root of the issue, and resolve it...and that will ultimately be good news for those of us who use the machines. Hopefully the resolution occurs sooner, rather than later (if it hasn't already). I guess my point is -- with no pun intended -- I know that I personally am not ready to "throw the baby out with the bath water," LOL; I have faith that Minelab will take care of this. And, in fact, where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, the ARE -- by replacing the units quickly and efficiently, when they DO fail. I expect that this is the "visible" aspect of their strategy for mitigating the problem -- i.e. the part that we as customers can "see;" meanwhile, behind the scenes, what we DON'T see is that I am sure they are taking the necessary steps to prevent the failures from happening in the first place, going forward.

Just my two cents.

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on hunting in the water, dunk it again.......and continue to dunk new ones until you find one that is sealed properly. It's not your fault if the machine is faulty, so, don't worry about what your local ignorant dealer thinks. You have a right to expect a detector to work as advertised, and a dealer who will help you when it doesn't.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealer is wrong. Bluetooth doesnt work underwater. If you used waterproof headphones with the screw on connector for equinox it shouldnt have leaked.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after reading posts here about Equinox flooding problems today I decided to dunk my nox…..it flooded. I have just got off the phone to my dealer, he tells me I have just been unlucky(!) He then says they are not covered under warranty if used with wired headphones if submerged!?? I luckily had already told him I used it with bluetooth ones so he will exchange it. This is the second faulty Nox I have had, as good a machine as it is my confidence is rock bottom right now.

You should be cool,.......

I received a stern warning about criticizing a forum sponsors product.

Maybe,...... just get it straightened out, and post some positive content after the problem is fixed.

Does anyone know if a rain cover is available for the Equinox?

Better safe than sorry.

I use one when old man winter comes around.

Rain - Tesoro.JPG

Rain - Garrett.JPG

Rain - Teknetics.JPG

I am going to make one for my IDX.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dropped it on rocks? That could very likely have broken the housing seal.

I agree with the others, give your new one a good dunking to make sure it not going to leak.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am thinking of buying an Equinox 600, and this flood problem is worrying me. Should it?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgoss66, you really think the manufacturer has it under control? I have no idea. This type of publicity doesn't help, especially when I don't hear these type of reports coming from White's, Garretts, XP, Fisher or Teknetics owners. Dropping a machine in a rock pool - in the water -is what the heck they are designed for - use in rough surf, with things like jelllyfish, reefs, rocks, etc. I assume most of the machines are problem free, that is a big assumption.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of buying one but not now. I'll go for the old faithfull Excalibur and if I can find a 1000 better still. That flooding scares the crap out of me. Happening to much lately, not worth the chance.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealer is wrong. Bluetooth doesnt work underwater. If you used waterproof headphones with the screw on connector for equinox it shouldnt have leaked.
I think that is the real question here. Was it a screw in connector or just a standard push in plug?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did actually drop it in a rockpool yesterday, I rinsed it off under a tap when I got home, maybe water got in then and I didn't notice it, who knows. Either way it shouldn't have happened. As I have posted, this is the second faulty Nox I've had now. What do I do when I get a replacement, risk it happening again? It's starting to get embarrassing keeping ringing my dealer if nothing else. Like I said my confidence in these machines is rock bottom right now.
Skip the dealer and go directly to ML. Obviously the dealer is not correct on the warranty at any rate.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of buying an Equinox 600, and this flood problem is worrying me. Should it?

Rusty, I personally would NOT be worried about it, but that's a call only you can make. The reason is, Minelab's customer service has been excellent, since the release of the EQX, and the warranty is very good. IF your EQX floods, you WILL have a brand-new one, in short order. Someday, this risk will likely have an effect in the USED market, when there are a large number of Equinoxes available that are out of warranty. There should be some GOOD deals, on used ones, at that point, because of this risk. But for a new one, with 3 years of warranty and a customer service department that is very good/proactive at honoring this warranty? I would not worry about it in the least.

Sgoss66, you really think the manufacturer has it under control? I have no idea. This type of publicity doesn't help, especially when I don't hear these type of reports coming from White's, Garretts, XP, Fisher or Teknetics owners. Dropping a machine in a rock pool - in the water -is what the heck they are designed for - use in rough surf, with things like jelllyfish, reefs, rocks, etc. I assume most of the machines are problem free, that is a big assumption.

smokey, I can't say they "have it under control," as I have no idea if they have traced the cause to its roots. BUT, I can say I am confident that IF they don't yet have it under control, they WILL. I am confident of that; the EQX is too big of a money maker for them, for them to allow bad publicity to sink that ship.

Also, I don't think you can compare the EQX to most other machines, in the context of this thread, as most of the ones you mentioned are NOT waterproof, and it is "leakage" or "flooding" that we are talking about. So, it's a bit of an "apples to oranges" comparison to say that, for instance, a Fisher F75 is not having an issue, but the EQX is -- when the F75 is not waterproof, and thus not being used in the water.

I would expect that the failure rate of Equinox units, SPECIFICALLY as it relates to flooding, is higher than acceptable to Minelab. I have no idea FOR SURE, as of course we have no idea of the actual PERCENTAGE of machines that are flooding, but I suspect that it's a much higher failure rate than Minelab expected, and is willing to tolerate. I am confident they either have, or WILL, get to the bottom of the issue, and fix it...and like I say, I don't think it's in the design itself. It is instead, I think, in something occurring within the production/assembly process that is not up to the original design spec...

Just my speculation, of course...

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is the real question here. Was it a screw in connector or just a standard push in plug?

Until it is sent in and repaired no way to know why it leaked, if you don't tighten the connector tight enough the o-ring want be engaged and that can cause leak, if you dont use screw in connector it will leak.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of buying one but not now. I'll go for the old faithfull Excalibur and if I can find a 1000 better still. That flooding scares the crap out of me. Happening to much lately, not worth the chance.

Why all the worry and fear? You are completely covered by a 3 year warranty and Minelab is not refusing to honor that warranty so far for any flooded unit. Many people are regularly using their in units in the water with NO issues and for the few that have failed, the replacement units do not appear to be failing repeatedly. I can see not wanting to have to deal with a warranty return and replacement on the off chance you buy a defectively sealed unit. But fear? Nope.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V is correct. A 3 year warranty is a good deal. If I wanted a water machine I'd get the Excalibur over about anything else, but with the arthritis, it's not going to happen in this lifetime. I find my digging trips getting shorter and shorter anymore. I have dropped all of my machines, lots of times on rocks. Nothing bad ever happened. V and I were out and he kept tossing his metal handled digging shovel on the ground and each time it went "TWANG" very loudly on a rock! I said, wanna make MORE noise so ALL the neighbors can hear us? Nice to keep nosy folks off my best sites. I think it "twanged" about 5 times that day! Funny! I have scratches and dents on them, but never a failure in several decades of digging.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People here are acting like no other detector has ever flooded. I gauruntee you that plenty of excals have flooded, straight from the box. Some people have very short memories for failure reports.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesnt matter one bit. The audio plug receiver is waterproof on its own.

There is an o-ring built into the waterproof connector of waterproof headphones for the nox a standard audio connector does not have the o-ring and is not water proof when it is put under pressure from being put under water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread