Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mpls here... woke to 2F this morning. I think we're done.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
uh, that’s funny. I think you got your season wrong. Or when we just had the time change you turned the season back instead of the time. PAINTING? Lol

your Friend; Doug

Wasn't my choice to be painting, the homeowners insurance pimp said I had to do it or they wouldn't renew the policy.

I told him it was my version of home security, and if I painted The Casa del Keister, it would inevitably lead to the place getting robbed. He didn't seem to agree.

I asked him if he realized he was telling me this in October, and the rain was gonna wash it off faster than I could put it on. He didn't seem to care.

I said "oh well, it ain't nothin a gallon of gas and a bic can't solve"....he said "now that would be insurance fraud sir".....I said "no that would be arson dude....I ain't lying to you"

People just ain't got no sense of humor anymore.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
A#1 I was just kidding with you about painting that late in the fall.

Doug

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Deepseaker.
Yep I agree but at 71 and on Society Security I cant afford to go south so I just have to wail and just read about everyone else having fun detecting, I just dream on.

Your Friend
Doug
Do not feel bad we had our first snow here this week end any were from 5inches to one foot + depends were lake effect hits.And i am 79 and i always like to see the snow come..And then i like to see it go.. Change of seasons i love it.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see where you are located, beautiful sunsets but also lake effect snows.

I grew up in Michigan around the Detroit area and suburbs.
Years of cold weather finally did me in, and people had a different attitude back then about the cold.
Nowadays, if it gets below the 20's they delay or cancel schools, can't have the little ones walk or stand in the line for a bus too long in temps like that.
In the 60's we often got down to negative numbers on school days, that was just the temp, not the wind chill which was more like the negative teens or 20's.
I had a mile to walk to my Jr. High school and I don't remember one day when any school was ever closed because of even that kind of cold.
Snow sure, but never cold weather.
I don't recall anyone making a big stink about it either, I am sure if some parent complained they were told to just dress their kid warmer.

In the the late 70's I remember one February where the temp didn't rise above 5 degrees at any time all month.
That was it for me, I plotted and planned and waited for my shot to get out and a few years later I made my escape to the Tampa Bay area.

Also the potholes.
Pothole season is 12 months a year in that state.

Now I live in Birmingham Al. where it is sometimes way to hot and hard to dig in the summer, we go into the water or just wait for fall and winter because it never really gets to cold to hunt and the ground never freezes.
I'm going hunting now, you can live vicariously though us southerners until your weather warms up and the snow melts.
Hopefully by the end of March but you never know.
I remember we got a 12" blizzard once in the third week of April, so...

pretty much the same in Atlanta. sometimes too hot and ground is rock solid with our red clay content. So move to hunting in the lakes which are nice and warm about 80+ degrees. Or move to the forests where the ground is not as hard. or hit volley ball courts with sand. but I just put on some really good lightweight cold weather jackets with long underwear and wool socks and good gloves and hunt all winter. ground rarely freezes and if it does thaws out in a few days.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I lucked out and had a chance to hit the Lake Michigan beach one time before winter.
cold hands freezing and cold wind. Walked out on the sand and was thinking this is looking good and hit on a
something %-=&$-&& what the heck scoop went down into the sand and hit something hard. Well three inches down solid ice perms frost. So I had to just detect along the shore edge from about 15 to 20 foot where it for some reason wasn’t frozen. But I got out one time before winter and that felt good. Only got 42=cents of clad but it didn’t matter because I was swinging.
Doug

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
IN Maryland around the Bay I love the winter. NO one else hunting so I have the places to myself. It gets cold here but you have to dress for it.

As long as the water is not frozen I'm in it. I do feel for the guys up far North around the great lakes, bad there.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I envy you , it’s hard look at my detector and can’t use it . I just looked around the corner and I saw spring coming. I asked my google home how Long to spring and it said back to me with no sympathy. It said spring will be in 69 Days. ☹️

Doug

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground is still digable in the The Thumb, looking like I'll be detecting till end of January, dont even need a shovel in the woods just a trowel... Dont give up yet!!

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
II wasn’t expect to have 45-50* wether this time of year so I got out. Nothing much. I found $1.10 in change in clad and haven’t clean it yet so I don’t know the dates yet.
12 penny’s and I think 2 are Wheaties
2 quarters one clad and other older
4 Rosie dimes Not sure on them yet
2 nickels
and a aluminum Ring I think , junk. TDI. At 25
I found a park I think has had very little detecting and I was just jumping around without any pattern and was having a lot of hits and most everything was 6” deep so they have been their for a while.
So next year I’m gonna hit that park a lot more.
a hint for everyone. If you have a local fenced in dog area for the public hit it. Very little trash (tabs, bottle caps) and more good stuff. Purses get set down and bumped by dog , playing with dog wit rings on. I found one cheap ring that way and I’m betting there are many more. Also area between parking to dog walk.
Every warm day I have this time of year makes for a shorter winter.
Boy did that feel good our detecting.
Your Friend
Doug

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I am always envious about you yankees having those old neighborhoods with lots of silver. But on the flip side we can hunt year round in Georgia so I guess it all evens out and I should stop being that envious. Best of all worlds living up north and being a snow bird living in the winter near a Florida ocean beach near some expensive hotels and condos.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Well I lucked out today and the temperature was about 45 so I said what the heck and went hunting.
Copied and past.
I had a chance to get out Thursday I got one cheap rung. TDI was at 25.

Today I went to a torn down house location and got 6 dimes and five were older Rosevelt. And also 5 wheaties and the funny thing about them is they all were 1958 and then I got another Ring TDI at a solid 18 , I think that’s 6 or 7 since about August.
Doug

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Well I lucked out today and the temperature was about 45 so I said what the heck and went hunting.
Copied and past.
I had a chance to get out Thursday I got one cheap rung. TDI was at 25.

Today I went to a torn down house location and got 6 dimes and five were older Rosevelt. And also 5 wheaties and the funny thing about them is they all were 1958 and then I got another Ring TDI at a solid 18 , I think that’s 6 or 7 since about August.
I don’t think I could have done this with my old detector.

Doug

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Hay everyone it looks like we’re getting closer to spring. I’ve noticed a couple days ahead I’m seeing the 50* but I’m guess the frost line is still there. I know if going out and start checking the ground with a screwdriver to see if it’s still their. I’m getting the itch to get my detector out and yes I’ve seen a foot of snow on the 1st of April. In my 71 years I have never seen a winter here in lower Michigan in the Lk Michigan snow belt so mild , actually it’s redicolus how mild the winter has been here.
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread