Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:laughing7:

So, then, we don't have to worry about the aesthetics...!! :)

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why the shorter counterbalance, Bill?

I didn't want the extra length and after discussing it with Steve, with it and the low weight, the stock coil now feels like the 6", with both weights the 15 feels like the 6" so it was a win for me.

HTH,
-Bill

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! Wow. That guy was.... ...not the best I've seen. :)

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My kit left Steve's shop yesterday. Hoping this minor break in the weather will keep the ground thawed enough that I get a chance to try it out before spring.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arrived today, took 15 minutes to change out, everything was a PERFECT fit......now going to go try it out! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574106718.399662.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574106731.514838.jpg

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My kit left Steve's shop yesterday. Hoping this minor break in the weather will keep the ground thawed enough that I get a chance to try it out before spring.

My anti-gravity machine arrived today and I am totally, completely in love. The coil floats in mid-air! Thanks, Steve.

ww2OHgU.jpg

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from a quick hunt after installing Steve’s replacement shaft. I must say, what a difference! No wobble & less falsing on swing turns. I never used the arm cuff before, just grab & go....with the replacement & counter weight I didn’t even have to “grip” the handle. Just let it rest between finger & thumb & swing away! I also found it much easier to keep the coil low & level. Dig another silver, Indian head, & my first buffalo nickel. I must say great design & craftsmanship! Thanks Steve!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574119263.391333.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574119276.539014.jpg

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Iron Buzz, and MikeRo, I am SO glad that you are both pleased with the shaft/counterweight! As I have said many times, there's nothing I enjoy more than pleasing customers, and hopefully helping to make the detecting experience just a little better/more comfortable/more enjoyable!

NICE digs, by the way, Mike (and I see you do a little taxidermy, as well)!

Thanks, everyone!

Steve

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about getting the shaft/counterweight over the winter, but have just one question. When swinging the detector with the counterweight installed does it hit into your hip? So if I'm right handed and swing to my right does the weight touch my hip or no?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rip,

Thanks for the interest, and the question! No, sir -- I have never had a customer mention that the counterweight bumps the hip, or back, or interferes in any other way. If you are concerned, you could always slip a length of, say, PVC pipe, over the butt-end of your rod, and extending past the butt end by 4-6 inches, and then swing your machine and confirm it, but I have never had such an issue with mine, nor had a customer ever mention such an issue either.

Thanks!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
It stick out at the back and you’ll never even know it’s there.
when you are detecting in the water I have to unscrew it and remove it. It works so good that when you are in the water it’s actually hard to control and keep it close to the bottom. The darn counterweight works that well.
On land , if you were on a teeterotter and the other person got off that’s what it is like without the counterweight.

Doug

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug,

That's a pretty good "word picture" there -- about the other person on the teeter totter getting off...it captures the idea of the counterweight (and the effect it has) very well!

Thanks!

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Iron Buzz, and MikeRo, I am SO glad that you are both pleased with the shaft/counterweight! As I have said many times, there's nothing I enjoy more than pleasing customers, and hopefully helping to make the detecting experience just a little better/more comfortable/more enjoyable!

NICE digs, by the way, Mike (and I see you do a little taxidermy, as well)!

Thanks, everyone!

Steve

You may be getting some more orders soon due to your sale to me. I brought my Equinox to our monthly club meeting tonight to show it off, and had a LOT of people trying it out and asking for your information.

One person did however, have a concern. It seems that he had a carbon shaft for a different detector (from a different company) a few years ago, and the first time he took it out, he supported himself with it as he was bending down (claims he did not put his weight on it) and it snapped in two. Have you heard of any incidents like that with your gear, Steve?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about getting the shaft/counterweight over the winter, but have just one question. When swinging the detector with the counterweight installed does it hit into your hip? So if I'm right handed and swing to my right does the weight touch my hip or no?

That is not a problem at all. Not one bit.

The feeling of the detector with the counterweight is very much like using a tether and harness, if you've ever tried that, except that... you're not tethered.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may be getting some more orders soon due to your sale to me. I brought my Equinox to our monthly club meeting tonight to show it off, and had a LOT of people trying it out and asking for your information.

One person did however, have a concern. It seems that he had a carbon shaft for a different detector (from a different company) a few years ago, and the first time he took it out, he supported himself with it as he was bending down (claims he did not put his weight on it) and it snapped in two. Have you heard of any incidents like that with your gear, Steve?

Iron Buzz --

I am sorry, I missed this message earlier!

I really appreciate you showing off the shaft to others, and I would be happy to have any additional customers that might head my way!

As for the shaft snapping, no -- that is not something that should ever occur (based on the scenario your friend described). Carbon fiber is a very strong material, in general; more specifically, though, the durability and strength of a given tube is in large part determined by the "wall thickness" of the tube (obviously, the greater the "wall thickness," the stronger the tube). It is possible that the manufacturer he purchased from, was using a thinner-walled carbon-fiber tube (trying to minimize the weight of the tube, but at the expense of strength). That, combined with your friend possibly putting more weight on the shaft than he realized, when he was "supporting himself," may have led to the failure. But obviously, I'm speculating here.

In my case, I lean a bit more toward the "heavy duty" design (thicker tube walls) with my shaft design, as compared to some, but at the expense of a very slightly heavier shaft, than some. As such, though, I have not had issues with shaft breakages. Aside from some specific incident/accident -- someone falling while using the shaft and landing on it, or slamming it in a trunk or car door, or something like that causing a crack in the tube -- then there would be no reason to expect any issue with a breakage, with one of my shafts.

Finally, you might mention to your friend that it is a point of focus/emphasis for me to give 100% service and satisfaction to each customer; a completely satisfied customer is always what I strive for. If your friend had purchased that shaft from me, and somehow had that breakage occur (as unlikely as it would be), I would have had a brand-new shaft in the mail for him the next day, at no charge.

Thank you, again, for "spreading the word!"

Steve

Last edited:

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After trying out my buddy MikeRo's counterweight shaft from Steve, I decided it was time to pull the trigger! With the 28 ounces of weight using the EQX 11 coil it's perfectly balanced for me.

Steve's Equinox shaft in silver with 6 7/8", 28 oz. counterweight installed:

thumbnail_0103201414_2.jpg thumbnail_0103201419_2.jpg thumbnail_0103201419a.jpg
thumbnail_0103201419b.jpg thumbnail_0103201420.jpg thumbnail_0103201421_2.jpg

Many thanks to Steve for even throwing in a matching silver lower shaft for helping him out with some headphone testing! Another happy customer. Get one and you will not regret it!

-ZiG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions