Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=&quot]Aeds151:[/FONT]

Steve's after market shafts add a small amount of weight to the end of the shaft creating a lever effect using your handle as the fulcrum point eliminating the nose-weight. Here's a quote from his site explaining how this works:

The "science" behind counterbalancing...
To illustrate the issue as it pertains to the "nose-heaviness" of the Equinox, we need to think back to the ideas of levers and fulcrums and leverage that were taught in high-school physics class, or even just picture the grade-school playground's see-saw/teeter-totter. As we know from science class, the situation with a metal detector is that we are placing a relatively large amount of "mass" (the coil) at the end of a long "lever" (the shaft). Therefore, the coil is essentially "using leverage to its advantage," so to speak -- with gravity acting on the coil so as to exert a multiplied downward force at the end of the shaft. And therein lies the issue. In order to keep the detector from resting in a fully vertical position (coil down, butt-end of the shaft up), due to the "downward" force applied by gravity to the coil, an equal but opposite force must be applied. So, how is that "counter-force" applied? Well, in terms of the Equinox -- a machine with virtually ZERO weight at the "butt-end" of the shaft, the detectorist must supply ALL of that "counter-force" needed, in order to keep the detector swinging in proper "detecting position." In other words, the detectorist must exert enough counter-force, with their wrist/arm/shoulder muscles, to counteract the "leverage" of the coil's downward force being exerted out at the end of the shaft. THIS is why the Equinox feels so "nose-heavy", and why counteracting that nose-heaviness causes discomfort for many users. And, again, thinking about the "fulcrum" and "lever" concepts, applying a counter-force AT THE HANDLE of the machine (i.e. at the "fulcrum,") means that the detectorist is not able to take advantage of the "leverage" idea, when applying this "counteracting" force. The ONLY way leverage could be utilized, would be if there were some force (i.e. weight) BEYOND the handle, near the butt-end of the shaft, acting to oppose the downward force of the coil. It is HERE, that the idea of "counterweighting" therefore enters the picture, to solve this dilemma.

Source: Steve's Detector Rods

Talk to Steve to learn more; He's a swell dude!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I am also interested in changing the shaft on my Equinox. I have mid back pain after a few hours of swinging. How come no one offers an S shaped shaft yet? Should I just get the counterweight shaft? I would hate to add more weight and really cause injury to back.
The counter weight threads into the end of the carbon fiber shaft. It’s a really nice looking setup.
Think of a brick on the end of a stuck and Thats what you have now. I’ve older detectors the head unit helped counterweigh the coil.
yes it dose add a little weight but it is offsets and helps balance the detector.
the counterweight works so well that I have to remove mine when I go into the water in LK Michigan because it’s hard to keep the coil on the bottom in the waves. As far as an S shaft I don’t think carbon fiber can be bent. I’m 71 and it helped me a lot. I actually place two or three fingers under the shaft and let the shaft float in my hand and don’t hold the hand grip tight. I have increased my detecting time by hours.
other brands do not have the counterweight available.
The carbon fiber really looks nice compared to the drab looking cheap stock shaft.
You go to a two part system rather than the three and it comes with a cam lock infinity lock system rather than the the push pin system with the twist lock system and without those holes sand doesn’t get into the shaft.
I’m 71 years old.
Steve worked with me and helped me set mine up for what was best for me and is a really nice guy.
Doug

Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, everyone -- thank you all for the kind words!

botics, I know we've been talking via email, thank you very much! I look forward to helping you out with your shaft needs.

Aeds151, I received a couple of emails from you as well, and have sent you a reply. I hope to be able to help you out as well.

Thanks, everyone!

Steve

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the email. I sent some info back. Im looking forward to using your products.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, sir! :)

Steve

ericgor

Dec 28, 2012
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583556484.103082.jpg

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just set up to have the Steves Detector Rod with counter weight sent. What a great guy. Awesome customer service. He took time to answer my questions and was quick to do so. I cant wait to eliminate shaft wobble, reduce the nose weight and do it all in style with the silver rod set up.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Just set up to have the Steves Detector Rod with counter weight sent. What a great guy. Awesome customer service. He took time to answer my questions and was quick to do so. I cant wait to eliminate shaft wobble, reduce the nose weight and do it all in style with the silver rod set up.
Steve is a really nice guy. You’ll really like the quality and the cam locks are so much better.
Remember that if you do any water hunting unscrew and remove the counterweight because with it on the coil is hard to control and keep on the bottom.
Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS for the kind words, sir! I really appreciate it, and I am happy to be fixing you up with a new shaft! It's going in the mail, in the morning, so you should have it in a few days!

Thank you!

Steve

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my sweet new silver counter balanced shaft yesterday. I am loving it. I have been using it with all 24oz in back. I will be experimenting with what weights work best for me. Thanks again!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aeds151 -- you are quite welcome! I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying it; I'll be interested to hear what weight you end up settling at, that works best for you.

THANKS!!

Steve

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, do you do a red shaft without counter weight?

Can you send to UK?

cheers
Matt

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Get the counter weight when you order the shaft because they really help and you can remove it by unscrewing it off the back one of the shaft. Also the counterweight is color match to the shaft.
i would not make the mistake of not getting it in a complete package.
Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with steves. Good quality and you can still touch the buttons with 1 hand.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are differences between these and Detect ED shafts?

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread