Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi folks , I am still a newb with this machine but enjoying getting to "know" it , I see a few area of improvement and that being the shaft. what are your thoughts and why?

Thanks in advance

Take a look at Steve’s equinox counter balanced carbon fiber shaft with the counter weight. I have it and love it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I second that suggestion. Steve’s Rods are excellent. I have the counter balanced one with the adjustable weight on the back.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another vote for Steve's setup. Heres a video of what they look like. Colors available too.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would definitely recommend a carbon shaft with counter balance. I made my own, very easy to make and has made a huge difference. Before I found the Nox nose heavy but now it is very well balanced and feels much lighter.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’m also a fan of Steve’s a carbon shaft. The video showed unscrewing the end cap Bud didn’t show the bags of shot that goes inside it and when adding the shot you can control the amount of weight to match your coil and also the length of the rod. When I’m on the beach I extend mine and have about a seven foot level swing and using the counter balance it balances it out because of the longer length.
But it counterbalances so good you don’t want to use the counter balance when in the water because you will have trouble keeping the coil down with the waves and yes the counter balance helps that much.
The cam lock works awesome and you don’t have to mess with that stupid pin to push in , it’s infinity adjustment.
It also help extend you detecting time because your arm and shoulder will not get sore.
The quality is above par.

Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS, everyone, for the kind words!

captbo, if I can be of service, just let me know...

Thank you!

Steve

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my buddies with an Equinox, save one, has gotten Steve's product and they love it.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANK you, everyone, for the kind words, endorsements!

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 words: Steve's Detector Rods.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS, v... :)

Steve

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one of Steve's rods and 2 extra lower shafts for the other coils. They are awesome! Btw, if you decide to order the counterbalance inquire about the shorter version. I opted for it and have used other's who have the full length and, at least for me, I chose wisely (Indiana Jones reference there). Steve is a great guy and will take care of you!

-Bill

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS, Bill! I appreciate the kind words!

Yep, different sizes and weights of counterweights are needed, for different folks. No doubt about it. I try to "custom fit" each person, depending upon specifics/needs that I try to glean from chatting with each customer. I'm glad the shorter/lighter tube proved to be the right one for you!

Steve

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve's Detector Rods, home of Equinox and CTX 3030 carbon-fiber shafts and rods

First off, doing business with Steve is an absolute pleasure. I had such a great conversation with him about his products and what I was looking for. Very informative, absolutely no hard sell whatsoever.

Most importantly, Steve’s products are of superior design, workmanship and materials. I purchased the full shaft and counterweight system. I also purchased a Herkle arm cuff also. Delivery was ultra quick and the shaft, counterweight and cuff are more than what I was hoping for.

Steve obviously loves this hobby and knows way more about than I do, it shows in his work!! Pull the trigger, you’ll thank me later.

Semper Fi,
Ed

OP
OP
captbo

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok after I did a good bit of searching I found the rod/ shaft I need is sold by Some fellow by the name of "steve" we had a few email exchanges and a phone call, all is well!,, I think those of you who have posted suggestions might want to look into this guy Steve ! hahahaha,, I have been inducted into the Steve Army !,,, Thanks for all the help

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I went threw Steve also. He helped me out greatly and his carbon fiber rods are amazing on quality and he worked with me so my setup is what I needed. With the lighter rod and adding the counter weight my time aloud me to guessing triple my time out detecting. It took the strain and stress on my wrist, arm and shoulder. I’m 71 and where I was detecting for about three hours went to 6-8 hrs out. with Steve’s carbon fiber shafts you only have two shafts not three to wobble. With the cam lock it’s not affected with sand, you have no pin to mess with and you can adjust the length to any length you want. Also the carbon fiber looks sharp.

Your Friend; Doug

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I overcame the imbalance of the Nox 800 by accident. My arm cuff would not line up for the screw so I zip tied it. But offset the bottom to use as a stand. It was just enough to counter weight the machine.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all so much! I appreciate each one of you, and your comments! I have such terrific customers -- friends! I'm blessed! :)

captbo -- it was a pleasure speaking with you today; you are a fine gentleman! Your new, green shaft will be in the mail tomorrow!

Thank you all!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread