Broken coil ears

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I just ordered lazer made ear protector stiffeners that can also repair broken ears so I’ll have to wIt a couple days. So when I get them I’ll give my thought here. I’m not sure when I’ll get them because I’ve never done anything like this before (From Russia). I don’t want to give a link until I see them.
Right now they only come in red and I’m not to happy with that and would rather have ordered black. They are $15 each plus shipping $4.
So hopefully everything will be ok.
Doug

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. FYI, you can't post links to non supporting vendors selling detector supplies.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
That's fine I’ll check the supporters list to see if he is listed.
I’ll be more careful next time.
If he is not a supporter I’ll try to get him to be a supporter here.
I didn’t realize that when I posted it. Sorry.
Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still mention them, just not add a link to their site.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine I’ll check the supporters list to see if he is listed.
I’ll be more careful next time.
If he is not a supporter I’ll try to get him to be a supporter here.
I didn’t realize that when I posted it. Sorry.
Doug

No apologies needed, I was just giving you a heads up was all.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any update on how the ear repair went?
Thanks,
D

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I had a set of these and was very excited about the prospect of a simple way to protect the EQX ears. However, the first time I used it on my EQX at the beach my coil fell off after about 15 mins of detecting. Upon inspection, both ears had broken in half! I was able to continue detecting only by zip tying my coil onto the lower shaft.

When I got home, I started a close inspection of the device. I noticed two things: 1) the device goes on easily at first but as it is pushed down to its proper position, it becomes much more difficult to push. The reason seems to be that the coil ears are somewhat thicker at the bottom than the top. As the device is pushed down so the bottom of it can rest on the coil as intended, an increasing amount of pressure is placed on the ears as a result. 2) I also noticed that when pressure is placed on the sides of the device, as when the coil bolt is tightened, the device’s sides bend inward placing added pressure on the ears.
It’s my belief that because of those two factors, the coil ears broke. Now this was a relatively brand new replacement coil from Minelab.
I emailed my findings along with a video to the maker but never heard back from him.
I think this is a great concept but I would recommend two adjustments be made to the device. The slots on the device should take into account the bottom thickness of the ears and secondly, a stiffer material be used that resists bending inward when pressure is applied.

Please don’t read this as sour grapes. I honestly want this device to work until Minelab strengthens the coil ears so that users don’t need a preventative device like this.

My purpose in posting this is informational only; not critical of the designer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Any update on how the ear repair went?
Thanks,
D
Mine was not broke.The brackets in got and installed were for more support to help them. just an added safety measure.

Doug

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I had a set of these and was very excited about the prospect of a simple way to protect the EQX ears. However, the first time I used it on my EQX at the beach my coil fell off after about 15 mins of detecting. Upon inspection, both ears had broken in half! I was able to continue detecting only by zip tying my coil onto the lower shaft.

When I got home, I started a close inspection of the device. I noticed two things: 1) the device goes on easily at first but as it is pushed down to its proper position, it becomes much more difficult to push. The reason seems to be that the coil ears are somewhat thicker at the bottom than the top. As the device is pushed down so the bottom of it can rest on the coil as intended, an increasing amount of pressure is placed on the ears as a result. 2) I also noticed that when pressure is placed on the sides of the device, as when the coil bolt is tightened, the device’s sides bend inward placing added pressure on the ears.
It’s my belief that because of those two factors, the coil ears broke. Now this was a relatively brand new replacement coil from Minelab.
I emailed my findings along with a video to the maker but never heard back from him.
I think this is a great concept but I would recommend two adjustments be made to the device. The slots on the device should take into account the bottom thickness of the ears and secondly, a stiffer material be used that resists bending inward when pressure is applied.

Please don’t read this as sour grapes. I honestly want this device to work until Minelab strengthens the coil ears so that users don’t need a preventative device like this.

My purpose in posting this is informational only; not critical of the designer.
Dan not saying what went wrong here.
mine went on very easily with no pressure.
When the nut is tightened on the stock coil as with all coils and brands the all have to bend to snug up.
both the protect and the stock ears have to bend.
So I’m wondering if the rubber washer was to thin from minelab, I don’t know.
when I snug mine I just do it just enough to put pressure so the coil is lightly snug and I do adjust my coil just by pressing it on the ground carefully. One of the venders dose sell a package of washers for the equinox with different thickness of washers in the package. (Detector ED)
Doug

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Dan not saying what went wrong here.
mine went on very easily with no pressure.
When the nut is tightened on the stock coil as with all coils and brands the all have to bend to snug up.
both the protect and the stock ears have to bend.
So I’m wondering if the rubber washer was to thin from minelab, I don’t know.
when I snug mine I just do it just enough to put pressure so the coil is lightly snug and I do adjust my coil just by pressing it on the ground carefully. One of the venders dose sell a package of washers for the equinox with different thickness of washers in the package. Big E
Doug

I’m happy to hear it’s working for you. I made sure I didn’t over tighten the bolt so I don’t believe that was the problem. I’ve simply decided not to use it on mine again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I’ll keep a close eye on mine. Keep an eye on yours because the ear dose bend in during snugging up on the stock coil and you can see them bending.
Everyone, Everyone, Everyone. do NOT over tighten your coil or ever youse your detector to balance yourself when getting up.
Doug

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It cracks me up they are charging $15 bucks for these. Once I get to my new job I'll 3D print them out for everyone that wants them for free.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$15 sounds a lot cheaper than buying a 3D printer....

joop1987

Nov 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cracks me up they are charging $15 bucks for these. Once I get to my new job I'll 3D print them out for everyone that wants them for free.

There's a lot of people just looking to make money in this hobby. I have been told my coil ear protector and cuff designs on thingiverse are junk but the 3D printed ones they sell are better.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If youse guys make any for the Vanquish coils, I'd be interested, once my pre-order is fulfilled from Kellyco (maybe before I die -- wink). Tanks! ;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anything on the market now that works good on the 12X15" coils? I see a few on Ebay and various detecting websites, but, there's bound to be some better than others. Some of the ones listed are for the 11" coil only. Anyone have personal experience with a good quality coil ear saver/stiffener/repair kit for the big coil? ColonelDan, I see you didn't have a good experience with one month's ago. Have you found a better one? Ziggy-Grimm, you printing out a good one these days?

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
The 11” fits the 15” but the one for the 6” doesn’t fit the 11/15”.
but they only help just a little because at the point the coil Bolt is to the snug point the ears are very close to the breaking point and they are bending. I have the ear supporters but I also made spacers to go ‘behind’ the teardrop rubber washers and that stoped the ears from bending so darn much and took the wobble out of it.
If you make the spacers out of the side of a milk jug it is the perfect thickness. They are hidden behind the rubber washer in the cavity of the shaft. One behind each rubber washer.
If you look carefully right now I’ll bet your coil ears are bending inward to the breaking point.
Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't tighten them to the point the ears bend. I just keep replacing the rubber washers or keep shimming them. I just figured that someone may have come up with a better solution.

OP
OP
D

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
If you add the spacer like I recommend the ears don’t get to the point of breaking. If you are at the point of replacing the rubber washers you are already at the breaking point.
I have never had to replace the rubber washers.
IMO minelab got the rubber washers to thin and should have been thicker or should have made the cavity not as deep on the shaft. The spacers I suggested spaces the washers out closers to the shaft.
With the bolt LOOSE and if you can wiggle the coil like a clock then I believe you are at the point of breaking the ears if snugged up.
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread