Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
McKinney -- have you updated your machine to V2.0 Equinox firmware? If so, and if your Tronds continue to work with the V2.0 firmware, then that would seem to confirm that the issue is NOT on Minelab's end (i.e. something that changed with the update from V1.75 to V2.0), but instead is a change in the Miccus phones between the V4.2 Bluetooth version, and the V5.0 Bluetooth version...

Thanks!

Steve

I upgraded to both 1.75 and 2.0 but hardly gave those versions a week, or two tops, and went back to V1.50. I would have logically found a problem with one of the upgrades and the Trond HPs, but it was a short test cycle, so it's possible there were difficulties. I didn't go back to V1.50 for HP issues. I'd remember that.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told by Trond that the update from 4.2 to 5.0 happened faster than the packaging change. So it is possible to have 5.0 in 4.2 packaging.

tabman

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tabman -- that is excellent information. Thank you for that -- a very important piece of info, for my upcoming testing. IF it turns out, in the end, that it is a case where Bluetooth 4.2 works on the Equinox and Bluetooth 5.0 does not, then that is going to make it REALLY difficult for those of us who are hoping to purchase "BT80" type headphones for our Equinoxes. If the paperwork says Bluetooth 4.2, but the phones are actually 5.0, then it sounds like we are going to have some REAL difficulty securing the proper sets of headphones.

tabman -- can you tell me how you got in touch with someone at Trond? I may have to give them a call, and see what I might be able to figure out. Right now, I'm wondering if there isn't some way I might be able to look into getting the 4.2 Bluetooth phones "back in production," for us Equinox users (assuming it does indeed turn out to be a Bluetooth 4.2 vs. 5.0 issue). Hmm...

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, all!

I have been thinking about, and working on, this issue today.

First, of course I want to test both sets of Ziggy-Grimm's headphones with my Equinox (thanks, Ziggy). But I am suspecting that it is indeed the version Bluetooth 5.0 upgrade, that is the issue. Tabman, your piece of information has been essential (that you found out from Trond that they are selling their newest phones with the 5.0 upgrade, but still with the old 4.2 paperwork). I will confirm this, both by testing Ziggy's headphones, and by speaking with Trond directly, to confirm.

If my suspicion turns out to be correct, then I think I may look into carrying this very same style of headphones through Steve's Detector Rods, but built to the proper specs (i.e. the way they used to be, prior to the Bluetooth 5.0 upgrade). In other words, I would look to have these phones produced once again with the prior generation specifications -- so that they pair correctly with the Equinox (just as both the Trond and the Miccus ones used to, up until recently). I'm laying some groundwork for this possibility as we speak...

Thoughts, anyone?

Steve

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's my understanding that the Nox Bluetooth transmitter is BT 4.1 with LL, so if the Nox can't be updated, any headphones rated higher than BT 4.1 with LL aren't going to perform any better with the Nox. So, there would be no need to spend extra money on 4.2 or 5.0. I'm I missing something?

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, BT 5 does nothing as far as tge Nox is concerned, but I don't really see BT 5 driving up the price of BT Headphones, either. The important thing is to ensure they are APTX LL.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As to the sound quality, comfort and fit, etc., which is better, the Miccus SR-71 or the Trond TD-BH01?

tabman

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Comfort and fit should be essentially identical; they are both BT-80 headphones, build from the same "shell."

Steve

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have OneAudio low latency Bluetooth headphones from amazon. They are $49 but have given instant coupons I paid $22.
They really are excellent. As good as the minelab-same features exactly. Others have caught on and they are selling a lot

I just picked up OneAudio low latency Bluetooth headphones for $24.95. They work great! The Ausdom AH3 low latency Bluetooth headphones are still my favorites. I like them better than the Miccus SR-71 and Minelab's ML-80 headphones.

tabman

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread