Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 99.9% sure these are basically exactly the same as the Minelab headphones....but Just want that extra bit of reassurance that they will work ok with Equinox?

I was bidding on a brand new pair of Minelab branded ones on Ebay, but they are going for STUPID prices....£90+ etc.

Will these be ok for the Nox?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Blue...d=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=aptx,aps,151&sr=8-3

thanks

Matt

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'm 99.9% sure these are basically exactly the same as the Minelab headphones....but Just want that extra bit of reassurance that they will work ok with Equinox?

I was bidding on a brand new pair of Minelab branded ones on Ebay, but they are going for STUPID prices....£90+ etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Blue...d=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=aptx,aps,151&sr=8-3

thanks

Matt

These are what I have, and used, since the beginning after getting the 600. Oh yea, they work.

joop1987

Nov 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks

Matt

The 99% same are the Miccus SR-71.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miccus-Headphones-Bluetooth-headphones-Microphone/dp/B01GGKNYOQ

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
be careful and make sure you can return them if they don't work. I tried the Miccus SR-71 and could never get them to pair up even with Micuss customer support help. He had no answer why some work and some don't pair up.
I just use the SR-71 with the WM08 module. Not the best alternative, but better than Minelabs wireless ear phones. Also use Apple wired ear buds with the WM08 sometimes.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone, I just wanted to chime in here. The Trond, AND the Miccus SR71 headphones BOTH used to work PERFECTLY with the Equinox. However, some folks have recently said that they have bought Miccus SR71 headphones very recently, that WON'T pair, like Felix is saying, above. I THINK (not sure, but THINK) that the issue is that the Miccus SR71 headphones have changed. The SR71s USED to be Bluetooth V4.2, and now, have "upgraded" to Bluetooth V5.0, and this 5.0 version (as far as I can tell) is the one folks are having trouble with. The old V4.2 sets have always worked perfectly. I have yet to hear someone say they couldn't get a V4.2 SR71 to pair properly.

HOWEVER, as far as I know, the Trond phones are still V4.2 Bluetooth, and so -- since nothing has changed with the Trond phones (and since we know that they used to work properly with the Equinox), my guess is that they are the "safer" option than the Miccus SR71 phones at this point (unless you find an older pair of the SR71's that are V4.2).

This information is only what I have pieced together from hearing folks' experiences, from different forums, so I am not certain what the deal is. Some folks speculated that the "change" that has occurred that has led to some incompatibility is with the Minelab firmware update, instead of being due to the change in the Miccus phones from V4.2 to V5.0. However, this seems unlikely to me -- because as far as I know, anyone using V4.2 SR71 headphones with the old Equinox firmware, are having no problem with their SR71's AFTER upgrading the firmware. So, the issue seems to be, as far as I can tell, with the NEW Miccus SR71 headphones.

Finally, I am not sure if it is specifically Bluetooth V5.0 that is incompatible with the Equinox, or if something else was also changed in Miccus's V5.0 phones that has caused the incompatibilty. This would be a good thing to know, because if it is indeed V5.0 Bluetooth that causes the incompatibility, then there may be additional Equinox pairing problems begin to crop up, with other-branded headphones, in the future, as the move to Bluetooth V5.0 continues...

ANY OTHER first-hand experience, from other Equinox users, on this issue, would be appreciated...

Steve

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ANY OTHER first-hand experience, from other Equinox users, on this issue, would be appreciated...

Steve

Yikes!!

I just ordered the Miccus SR71s refurbished from the company and literally got them in the mail yesterday. I haven't tried them yet but I will respond here with my findings after work today. If they don't work with my Equinox 600, they will turn into someone's Christmas present and I'll order the Trond's :laughing7:

*edit:

The new Miccus SR71s DO NOT pair with my Equinox 600.

Last edited:

MidTN

Aug 22, 2018
Mt Pleasant, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Patriot & Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone, I just wanted to chime in here. The Trond, AND the Miccus SR71 headphones BOTH used to work PERFECTLY with the Equinox. However, some folks have recently said that they have bought Miccus SR71 headphones very recently, that WON'T pair, like Felix is saying, above. I THINK (not sure, but THINK) that the issue is that the Miccus SR71 headphones have changed. The SR71s USED to be Bluetooth V4.2, and now, have "upgraded" to Bluetooth V5.0, and this 5.0 version (as far as I can tell) is the one folks are having trouble with. The old V4.2 sets have always worked perfectly. I have yet to hear someone say they couldn't get a V4.2 SR71 to pair properly.

HOWEVER, as far as I know, the Trond phones are still V4.2 Bluetooth, and so -- since nothing has changed with the Trond phones (and since we know that they used to work properly with the Equinox), my guess is that they are the "safer" option than the Miccus SR71 phones at this point (unless you find an older pair of the SR71's that are V4.2).

This information is only what I have pieced together from hearing folks' experiences, from different forums, so I am not certain what the deal is. Some folks speculated that the "change" that has occurred that has led to some incompatibility is with the Minelab firmware update, instead of being due to the change in the Miccus phones from V4.2 to V5.0. However, this seems unlikely to me -- because as far as I know, anyone using V4.2 SR71 headphones with the old Equinox firmware, are having no problem with their SR71's AFTER upgrading the firmware. So, the issue seems to be, as far as I can tell, with the NEW Miccus SR71 headphones.

Finally, I am not sure if it is specifically Bluetooth V5.0 that is incompatible with the Equinox, or if something else was also changed in Miccus's V5.0 phones that has caused the incompatibilty. This would be a good thing to know, because if it is indeed V5.0 Bluetooth that causes the incompatibility, then there may be additional Equinox pairing problems begin to crop up, with other-branded headphones, in the future, as the move to Bluetooth V5.0 continues...

Steve

I purchase each of these and could not get either to pair with my 600. Purchased each from Amazon and return both sets with no problems.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchase each of these and could not get either to pair with my 600. Purchased each from Amazon and return both sets with no problems.

MidTN -- by "each of these," do you mean both the Miccus, and the Trond phones? If so, do you happen to recall if the Trond phones were Bluetooth V4.2?

Thanks!

Steve

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Trond headphones I ordered from Amazon will be here Friday & are labeled Bluetooth v4.2 - I will once again post my findings when they arrive.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Trond headphones I ordered from Amazon will be here Friday & are labeled Bluetooth v4.2 - I will once again post my findings when they arrive.

Ziggy -- I look forward to your report. I really would like to get to the bottom of this...

Thanks!

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Trons work fine. You may need to do a factory preset if you've paired other HPs already.

McKinney -- have you updated your machine to V2.0 Equinox firmware? If so, and if your Tronds continue to work with the V2.0 firmware, then that would seem to confirm that the issue is NOT on Minelab's end (i.e. something that changed with the update from V1.75 to V2.0), but instead is a change in the Miccus phones between the V4.2 Bluetooth version, and the V5.0 Bluetooth version...

Thanks!

Steve

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dan, I think they are water/weather resistant but not waterproof. Pretty sure they would not survive a full on dunking.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve edited my post. Thanks for catching my booboo! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have OneAudio low latency Bluetooth headphones from amazon. They are $49 but have given instant coupons I paid $22.
They really are excellent. As good as the minelab-same features exactly. Others have caught on and they are selling a lot

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re absolutely right. I’ve edited my post. Thanks for catching my booboo! :icon_thumleft:

No problem. They are great phones and the only over the ear type BT APX LL phones I am aware of that are compatible with the Equinox and water resistant. (BTW for those wondering, not a big deal they are not fully waterproof because wireless phones are not compatible with submerged detector operations regardless because BT radio signals can’t propagate more than a few inches through water before fading out).

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ziggy -- I look forward to your report. I really would like to get to the bottom of this...

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

No luck with either the Tronds or Miccus. Also - My cheap bluetooths (Skull Candies) would work pre-firmware update but now nothing but my buddy's Minelab labeled ones will connect right away. I have a feeling they changed something when they released the latest firmware...

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ziggy-Grimm,

THANKS for the report. This is really puzzling/interesting. Reason being, I have been using a pair of "aftermarket" headphones -- clones of the Minelab phones, and of the Miccus and Trond phones -- since nearly Day 1. One day, early on after buying the EQX, I left my Minelab ML80 headphones, in the headphone case, on the bed cover of my truck after detecting, and drove off. Needless to say, they were gone -- so I bought a pair of (no longer available) phones that are essentially identical to the ML80...i.e. the "BT80" headphones. These "BT80" phones are what the Miccus, Trond, etc. are, each one just with a different "label" on them.

ANYWAY, long story short, I started with the 1.5 software on my 800, then upgraded to 1.75, then to 2.0. After each of these updates, my phones continued to pair just fine. There was NO CHANGE to the way I paired the phones, nor the length of time it takes for the pairing process to occur (a few seconds), after any of the software updates.

IF this issue was something that Minelab changed, in one of the software updates, I'm puzzled as to why my phones would continue to pair with no issues, through each of the software updates. I am not saying that it is NOT something that changed, on Minelab's end, but in trying to think this through -- from a "troubleshooting" perspective -- I'm confused. Nothing seems to make sense.

I wish I were vacationing at home in PA right now; I'd see if we could get together, and try various things with different sets of phones, on both of our machines.

Can you tell me if you see anything on the TROND package, that suggests whether they are indeed Bluetooth 4.2, or if possibly they have been upgraded to 5.0 Bluetooth (but perhaps Amazon's ad did not reflect that)?

Also -- another idea, I'd be interested in, if you might be willing. Would it be possible for us to work something out, where you might send both sets to me (the Trond and the Miccus), so I could try them out on my Equinox? I've been wanting to buy a spare set of phones anyway, and perhaps after testing, we could kill a couple of birds with one stone -- 1, we could see if your phones that won't pair with your machine, would pair with mine, and 2, I could buy one of them off of you, if they do pair. Perhaps, this could move us a bit farther "down the road," in terms of figuring out where this problem may lie...

Just a thought.

Steve

Last edited:

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

I would like to get to the bottom of this as well! I'm down for shipping them your way for some testing; Here's the tech specs & details:

KmHz8kN.jpg

s9NxQwS.jpg

EtmUbat.jpg

XzIGjVB.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_1223191811c.jpg
    thumbnail_1223191811c.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread