Equinox identifying trash issue
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: Equinox identifying trash issue

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    856 times
    Relic Hunting

Equinox identifying trash issue

I think most of the Equinox users agree pull tabs, pop tops, bottle caps, can slaw, and especially round aluminum wine bottle caps are a bane to us.

So if you have leaned some good techniques that help ID these pesky items on your 600 or 800 please share them here.

I did't like the narrow 40 segment ID range but just have to deal with it since my 800 has so many other good qualities.

lets us know it your technique works on the 600 or 800 or both.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    13104 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    sometimes the tones reveal more info than just the numbers and that is why I like the 50 tones. I am getting better at knowing that I am about to dig trash but I still get surprised here and there. I had dug two nickels in a row the other day and had another signal that had the number 12 and the good sounding tone like the others that turned out to be a pull tab so it still happens. cans can turn into silver dollars from what I hear.
    A2coins, nuggetdog, Czkidd and 2 others like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7877 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Since I upgraded the iron bias with the F2 setting, I don't dig near the bottle caps I used to. I run the setting all the way up to 9. At that setting, it seems to help with the aluminum "nuggets" too. I also run 50 tones and all metal almost all of the time.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

fr
    Oct 2019
    Alsace
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    369 times
    I wish i could help..... but am at a loss to see how anything on this machine is 'dealing' with the problems that have been bugging detectorists from the start.
    I opened a few threads discussing this, in reality the equinox should be called the DTF, deep trash finder... It really has no clue.
    In the last two days i have dug a good handful of nails in different soils all reading different but exciting tones... Running field 2, with sensititvity at 16/17..balanced and noise cancelled properly... the Nox is clueless.
    Where are the advancements ?? just marginally deeper rubbish is my opinion,, about 50 hours used so far..
    I know it is hard for folks to hear such things, or to admit it, but the new tech is nothing new at all.
    A2coins, Czkidd, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.'

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    27044 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You have to dig it all to get the gold...it's that way with most machines out there.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    34097 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I agree with Smokey, I have noticed the 800 hits solid on bottle tops you can change some settings to help a little but gotta say my At Max I could tell a pull tab alot easier. This isnt a whos machine is better statement but you do have to dig it all to find it all

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    4090 times
    Metal Detecting
    One thing that seems easy to call with an Equinox after some hours logged is bottle caps. IMO they sound off 100% different than any coin will. Now, sometimes the pinpointer deep caps can sound more like a deep coin but those are far and few between for where I hunt.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3603 times
    It's that way with all machines. You pass up marginal targets, you pass up keepers. IMO of course..

HH ALL

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    34097 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    One thing to consider is alot of the parks here in Mi which the pop top is our State flower if you dug every signal you wouldnt move more than 10 ft per day and would need a dumpster to haul all of them away thats a fact.

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Some where out there
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX / Simplex+
    8166 times
    Too funny A2!
    I thought the pull tab was California’s State flower!
    A2coins, smokeythecat and Hawks88 like this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    34097 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    They are poppin up everywhere pun intended
    smokeythecat and RustyGold like this.

(Free Shipping)

fr
    Oct 2019
    Alsace
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    369 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    One thing that seems easy to call with an Equinox after some hours logged is bottle caps. IMO they sound off 100% different than any coin will. Now, sometimes the pinpointer deep caps can sound more like a deep coin but those are far and few between for where I hunt.
    This is true enough, the pinpoint on the caps and alu is like a dentists drill hitting your throbbing nerve..
    I am at the stage of thinking about dicriminating from 14-20.... i really had higher expectations , that the newer machines could tell a nail and not bother us with it..!!
    Alas, i must get used to digging noisy bits of crap...
    A2coins, Czkidd, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.
    'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.'

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7877 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralDruid View Post
    This is true enough, the pinpoint on the caps and alu is like a dentists drill hitting your throbbing nerve..
    I am at the stage of thinking about dicriminating from 14-20.... i really had higher expectations , that the newer machines could tell a nail and not bother us with it..!!
    Alas, i must get used to digging noisy bits of crap...
    Are you using the higher settings on the iron bias and still finding nails? I don't seem to have that problem with mine set at F2 @9. Same with bottle caps, those have virtually disappeared with that setting. Aluminum, yeah that's still a problem with every machine out there, so far. As for finding deeper junk......at least you can detect it now. Some of my previous machines wouldn't pick up what the Nox can. In hunting many old sites, I use the depth meter just as much as the I.D. numbers and sounds. I have some spots where ANY sound down deep is usually good, regardless of what the machine thinks it is. At least the Nox gives me the option to dig or not, and isn't just ignoring the sound, or ignorant of it's presence, like other machines I've used. If you want better target I.D. get a CTX. There is a reason that it's more expensive. As for discriminating out 14-20, that might get rid of some of the aluminum and other low conducting non-ferrous trash, but, you will lose some gold jewelry and coins, and won't help you much, if any, on iron falses. In most places with deep rusty iron, you can get a mid 30's chirp along with an iron null. Sometimes those can be good (as in two targets, one good, one bad) or it's deep and rusty junk. Usually, if you get a high signal sweeping one direction, and the iron null (or low sound in all metal), the other way, it's iron. Try sweeping again at 90 degrees before rejecting it completely. No machine (currently) is going to be 100% accurate, if in doubt, dig it out! The more junk you dig, the more you will know what junk sounds like.
    Last edited by cudamark; Dec 07, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

Jan 2019
    Equinox 800 Excalibur II Garrett ATX
    14 times
    Yea, after using the Nox for over a year on the beach, I thought I knew what I was doing. But, put me on a early 20th century or late 19th century site and I don't even know what a good target sounds like anymore. Shotgun shells, aluminum wine/liquor bottle twist offs and copper nails are killing me into total confusion and frustration. Maybe testing this trash by lifting the coil a foot or so is the key. IDK. I am going back to the beach to keep the love of the hobby and where I have confidence in my machine.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    7877 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuiu View Post
    Yea, after using the Nox for over a year on the beach, I thought I knew what I was doing. But, put me on a early 20th century or late 19th century site and I don't even know what a good target sounds like anymore. Shotgun shells, aluminum wine/liquor bottle twist offs and copper nails are killing me into total confusion and frustration. Maybe testing this trash by lifting the coil a foot or so is the key. IDK. I am going back to the beach to keep the love of the hobby and where I have confidence in my machine.
    I don't know of any machine that will disc out those items and still ring out good on other keeper targets in that range. You can always hit the reject button on a particular I.D. number that pollutes the site, but, other targets that read the same will also be killed off.
    Avitech Associate

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links