Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me start out that I love my Equinox, this was my second year detecting and I found 96 silver coins and 35 Indians with it this year.

I have managed to break the control pod off the handle twice this year, and broke the middle rod in half.

I don`t feel I`m abusing it in any way, maybe 300 plus hours is too much for it in a year?

Minelab was great in getting it fixed quickly, but I am worried it may happen again, I`m beginning to wonder if this is normal for this detector, or if I`m just
having some bad luck?:BangHead:

Dan

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with you, my 600 is 100hrs into it's detecting life, already replaced parts.
The wobbly shaft really freaks me out sometimes, feels like it could bend or break at any minute.
After sales has been great for me too....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's def. no Garrett or Whites or First Texas machine in terms of build quality but what it going on with you seems extreme! I got close to 1k hours on mine by now and haven't had that much trouble. I did get a CF shaft setup through Steve on here and a control pad cover for it.

It's not built the best but it does perform with the best.....IMO. I kind of just take it in stride with the Equinox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to happen, plastic happens. Steve's lower rods are apparently exceptional, as previously stated you may need to get one and you may just have to treat it like a newborn baby!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pry have around 200 hours on mine, no issues to speak of and I am rough on my stuff..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you a WAAAAAY too hard on your detecting gear!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I broke the control pod off on mine, broke the lower shaft, and ripped the wiring out of the coil on mine. Ran it over with my truck, though :BangHead:. I can't see any of that happening through normal use though, unless your'e trying to dig with your detector. It's not a shovel :laughing9:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch! Can you explain what preceded the control unit breaking off 2x and middle rod snapping? I’m guessing you are attempt swing and knock down high grass/crops/brush? Sound like you are finding the goods at 96 silvers FTY, but maybe take another strategy for getting your coil close to the ground. I’ve had success pushing a barrel (plastic, cardboard or wooden) in front of me to crush down overgrown fields and swinging directly behind. I’ve never even had the ears of the coil snap. (I did snap the cuff in the first month from a spill climbing a slope, but have a 3D printed indestructible one now)

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me start out that I love my Equinox, this was my second year detecting and I found 96 silver coins and 35 Indians with it this year.

I have managed to break the control pod off the handle twice this year, and broke the middle rod in half.

I don`t feel I`m abusing it in any way, maybe 300 plus hours is too much for it in a year?

Minelab was great in getting it fixed quickly, but I am worried it may happen again, I`m beginning to wonder if this is normal for this detector, or if I`m just

Dan

You need to read the manual,.......

It says,.... "Do not throw out of a helicopter"

Always follow the factory recommendations.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Wow, I’ve been detecting for over 45 years and have never broke a detector.
Detectors are not Kane’s, Bats, or golf clubs and yes there are accidents. So if it’s just sitting there it’s not breaking.
They are delicate machines and are fragile.
I hope you have better luck in the future.
You may need a new hobby.

your Friend.
Doug

Last edited:

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan

Sorry to hear your having durability issues with your machine, the only thing that’s happened with mine so far is the arm cuff screw fell out, minelab replaced it.
I ordered Detect-Ed’s carbon shaft when I bought my nox, I love it. It’s too bad we feel we need to buy after market parts to avoid potential problems, but no regrets. Thinking about getting another equinox this spring.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my other brand machines to knock down grass and brush and sometimes partially fill holes with the loop...seriously!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Going to be a interest year 2021, when all of those Warranties run out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, yes it will. By then there will be a bigger, or smaller, or brighter, shinier, deeper, TOY available! Maybe a lot of them.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
OBN, yes it will. By then there will be a bigger, or smaller, or brighter, shinier, deeper, TOY available! Maybe a lot of them.
Not sure on that, they will be around for a long time especially with download upgrades. They know they have a winner. The Xterra line they have had for more than 12 or more years with only one new model upgrade and all three models are still being advertised on their site. The Xterra line are very good detectors and I Have had mine for about 12 years and still like it. The Equinox is similar but with many changes that really make them shine.
Doug

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I only have 250 hours on my Minelab...no problems yet....thanks for the post...I will have to keep an eye on it and baby it some. As far as crushing grass/folage down with your coil....Maybe someone will come-along create a weed whacker mode:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donut, there are other manufacturers out there, and I really doubt they are just sitting around drinking expresso all day. In this century, the way technology leaps, it wouldn't be surprising if something better came along. I've always shopped across brand lines. Had a Minelab, White's, Garrett, Tesoro and XP Deus in the house at the same time about a year ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread