wireless headphone use and Radio Frequency Radiation

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i may be old and dumb but who wants to be on the road with driver less tractor trailers, sit somewhere while your car ,charges, find your home electric bill sky rocket after you spend a grand or so for a house charger, how about a driverless ambulance with you and 2 emts in the back.how about robots ending up smarter than we are and we end up scared stiff of them.I got a e-series mxt with grey ghost head phones, I gotta worry about some nit wit hackin my pacemakerHH JIM

You had me at "I might be old and dumb", didn't see what the rest had to do with the topic at hand but it was funny nonsense.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Felix --

The new Miccus headphones WILL "talk to the 800;" I've verified it...

Steve

That makes sense since the bluetooth head phones have nothing to transmit since they really don't talk much back to the 800.

just wish the minelab headphones sounded better but to me they don't. So I will stick with the Miccus SR-71 plugged into the wm-08 module clipped to my belt. New Miccus headphones don't talk to the 800.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felix --

Steve

I think wat PTF was saying is that any BT headphones work primarily as radio receivers vice transmitters ("talking" back to the detector) when paired with the Equinox which means that very little electomagnetic radiation is being transmitted by the headphones themselves in that case since it only transmits when initially handshaking with the detector to establish the link and only intermittently after that. In contrast to them being in full duplex mode when they are paired with a phone and transmitting your voice via the mic back to the phone during a phone call.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grey ghosts sound great and silver sticks out alot

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I question the radiation.
You may have to throw your equinox away because it is what transmits the Bluetooth to the WM-08 and the headphones.
The WM-O8 and the headphones are only receivers and do not transmit a Bluetooth signal.

Doug

You know I completely missed that point. Why would the wireless headphones have anything to send back to the metal detector except maybe a brief paring signal.

But I still will use the wm-08 with the SR-71 since I don't like the Equinox sound quality, it sounds like there is too much bass and produce a muffled sound on what should be clearer high tones. Of course that could be just my hearing and probably is since I have lost some of my high frequency hearing ability.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I completely missed that point. Why would the wireless headphones have anything to send back to the metal detector except maybe a brief paring signal.

But I still will use the wm-08 with the SR-71 since I don't like the Equinox sound quality, it sounds like there is too much bass and produce a muffled sound on what should be clearer high tones. Of course that could be just my hearing and probably is since I have lost some of my high frequency hearing ability.

You keep referencing the "equinox headphones" and the SR-71s.... They are identical except for logo. I can see there might be a tonal difference between using BT or wm-08 or hardwire, but the phones are no different.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I question the radiation.
You may have to throw your equinox away because it is what transmits the Bluetooth to the WM-08 and the headphones.
The WM-O8 and the headphones are only receivers and do not transmit a Bluetooth signal.

Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep referencing the "equinox headphones" and the SR-71s.... They are identical except for logo. I can see there might be a tonal difference between using BT or wm-08 or hardwire, but the phones are no different.

Actually, I have both the SR-71's and the Minelab Phones and have experienced the same audio quality difference between them as PTF. They are clones, but the tonal quality of the SR-71's is superior with better mid range and high tones vs. the ML phones which definitely sound muddy in comparison. I didn't realize this until I heard people complaining about the ML BT phone audio quality and decided to test it out for myself (I kept the ML phones in the box as backup as I had obtained the Miccus SR-71's a few months before I actually got the Equinox and had been using them with my GPX, so I have been using the Miccus phones from day 1 with my Equinox). Doesn't make sense, I know, but I can hear the difference. I don't know if ML spec'd inferior speaker drivers for cost, subcontracted to the lowest bidder, or what, but they definitely do not sound as good as the Miccus phones.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This discussion is a little primitive considering that Kershaw (CEO of Google) already announced to the world that by 2030, AI will be (not hope to) but will be fused with the human brain.
There will be no more devices and gadgets as your brain will be connected to the internet of all things indefinitely.
People react when I tell them this like they will never allow such a thing. Really? Y'all willingly have your phone stuck to your heads 24/7.

Everything is smart now....Homes, cars, devices....you name it. Except humans. They're not very smart at all. Quite dumb and getting dumber by the minute!

Oh, we won't allow it to get that bad.....Wrong! The head dude of the WI-fi industry announced a year or so ago that they will not be testing 5G.
They want to be the first to roll it out on the market as they (America) stand to make billions and places like Europe will require testing.
No testing in N.A. and the dead bees pile up in California as we speak.

I got wireless right here....When I hit the woods, I disconnect the head phone wire and go free and easy.

Just curious, if the grid goes down, do your fancy blue tooth detectors still work or do they need to be connected to the internet?

As long as there's batteries, my old detector will still be swinging.... :headbang:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This discussion is a little primitive considering that Kershaw (CEO of Google) already announced to the world that by 2030, AI will be (not hope to) but will be fused with the human brain.
There will be no more devices and gadgets as your brain will be connected to the internet of all things indefinitely.
People react when I tell them this like they will never allow such a thing. Really? Y'all willingly have your phone stuck to your heads 24/7.

Everything is smart now....Homes, cars, devices....you name it. Except humans. They're not very smart at all. Quite dumb and getting dumber by the minute!

Oh, we won't allow it to get that bad.....Wrong! The head dude of the WI-fi industry announced a year or so ago that they will not be testing 5G.
They want to be the first to roll it out on the market as they (America) stand to make billions and places like Europe will require testing.
No testing in N.A. and the dead bees pile up in California as we speak.

I got wireless right here....When I hit the woods, I disconnect the head phone wire and go free and easy.

Just curious, if the grid goes down, do your fancy blue tooth detectors still work or do they need to be connected to the internet?

As long as there's batteries, my old detector will still be swinging.... :headbang:

You make some valid points about some of the potential dangers with tech but be careful about conflating those legitimate concerns into a "all new tech is bad" stance.

The "grid" has nothing to do with BT headphone functionality. People are naturally afraid of what they don't understand about technology and some of your comments, like your "grid" comment betray that lack of understanding. Wireless headphones are a "nice to have" but definitely not a "must have" and I don't begrudge anyone from making the decision to stick with tried and true wired cans. But touting conspiracy theories of implanted chips and big brother as the excuse for not embracing aspects of technology that simply bring convenience to the detecting experience, smacks of "tin foil hat" paranoia and a naive technological outlook and undermines your credible arguments. There are legitimate issues with technology regarding the assault on personal privacy and health due to the proliferation of big data gathering devices and lack of internet security protections for individuals because of the corporate thirst for personal information.

All I am saying is that it is dangerous to not do the due diligence to educate oneself on the division between harmless and harmful technology. Simply lumping all new tech into the bad category is not wise. Maintaining a healthy skepticism regarding tech is appropriate, but doing enough of the homework so that one can tell the difference rather than being dismissive of all tech is important too.

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
vferrari your correct.
muddy hands. Bluetooth has nothing to do with the internet and when your looking for batteries I’ll be detect because my detect charges off usb 12 volt battery that can be solar charged.
Doug

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I have both the SR-71's and the Minelab Phones and have experienced the same audio quality difference between them as PTF. They are clones, but the tonal quality of the SR-71's is superior with better mid range and high tones vs. the ML phones which definitely sound muddy in comparison. .....

Well thats strange. I never would have guessed theyd be different.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know. But it was definitely a noticeable difference. Weird.

Yep. NOTICEABLE difference. Much clearer, tonally; less bass, less "muddy;" I agree with vferrari. Strange, I agree, Jason, as both are a BT80 headpone, but obviously something was spec'd slightly different, by Miccus, when having their BT80s produced, as compared to Minelab's specs.

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Felix --

Steve

Felix -- SORRY! I misunderstood! When you said "won't talk to the 800," I thought you were saying "won't work with the 800." I was simply saying that the new Miccus SR-71 5.0 Bluetooth version will pair/work properly with the 800. But you were talking about something different, entirely! My bad, for not reading more carefully!

Steve

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Felix -- SORRY! I misunderstood! When you said "won't talk to the 800," I thought you were saying "won't work with the 800." I was simply saying that the new Miccus SR-71 5.0 Bluetooth version will pair/work properly with the 800. But you were talking about something different, entirely! My bad, for not reading more carefully!

Steve

Steve,
A quick question, the ad at Amazon, for the Miccus SR-71 5.0 mentions it will not work with metal detectors. It was the previous BT version of 4.2 that did.
Although you’re saying the 5.0 will work with the Equinox.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty -- I tested a pair of Miccus SR-71 5.0 Bluetooth phones, and they paired with my Equinox with no issues. There was a lot of stuff floating around the forums about 5.0 Bluetooth not working with the Equinox, so I did a ton of research and testing. In the case of the Miccus phones, I got my hands on a new 5.0 set, and paired them myself, to verify...

I am GUESSING that the note on Amazon was due to some folks who were confused by some stuff being posted on the forums, had pairing issues, and then called Amazon/Miccus (which is why I wanted to go through and research it myself -- which I tried to document thoroughly, hoping to dispel some of the ideas as to which headphones would pair, and which ones wouldn't). Perhaps, for grins, I might call Miccus, and chat with someone there...they may not know that their 5.0 phones WILL pair (at least with MY Equinox! ;) )

Steve

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Steve! I ordered a pair from Metaldetectingstuff last night as they were advertised as the 4.2 version and Wayne cancelled my order today saying they were the 5.0 and would not work with the Equinox. So now I’m really confused on what will work and what version will not.
Thanks again for your input.
Rusty

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty,

I'd ask Wayne to send them to you, with the option to return them if they won't work. Tell him I tested a pair of the 5.0s with my Equinox, and they paired with zero issues. I really think that a lot of the "my headphones won't pair" issues stem from honest mistakes made in the pairing process, by EQX users...NOT the phones themselves.

Let me know, if you try a pair of 5.0s -- and what your results are. If you have any issues pairing, call me, and I'll step through with you the process I used to pair mine quickly and easily...

Steve

Thanks Steve! I ordered a pair from Metaldetectingstuff last night as they were advertised as the 4.2 version and Wayne cancelled my order today saying they were the 5.0 and would not work with the Equinox. So now I’m really confused on what will work and what version will not.
Thanks again for your input.
Rusty

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mid 90's I used a cell phone for hours at a time... there were times when I could actually feel the phone effecting my head.

Sounds funny but don't laugh... I could elaborate on this in depth.

I never hold a phone to my head unless I have to.... always speaker. and away from my head.

As far as headphones... ehhh not sure about this... mine are wired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread