Short Video On Coin / Relic Preservation

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have additional information on your electrolysis electronic setup? You focused on the cooks but not how to set up the cooks, anode used, etc. How you would set it up differently for different metals?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any particular reason you use a 9V battery instead of using a 110VAC to 9VDC battery charger? How many hours do you get out of the battery?

OP
OP
M

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have additional information on your electrolysis electronic setup? You focused on the cooks but not how to set up the cooks, anode used, etc. How you would set it up differently for different metals?

The Anode I use is a piece of carbon but you can use any steel. Carbon just lasts longer and the still will get ate up pretty fast. I've only used it for Silver and Coppers. Silvers clean up faster maybe 10-15 minutes 1 cook. Coppers just take allot longer for some reason. Which this unit there really is no setup. I'll cover the rest in the next guys question. Thanks for looking... Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any particular reason you use a 9V battery instead of using a 110VAC to 9VDC battery charger? How many hours do you get out of the battery?

Well I made a homemade unit probably 15-20 years ago and it was plugged into the wall and it worked but fried some Indians as well. From what I've learn since then its all about low and slow. Low voltage/amps. I didn't design the unit so I don't know all the particulars but I just know it does a great job. This unit comes with a place to hook up an external power source and I'm sure it regulates the voltage/amps as well.... Hope this helps...

Mike

Forgot to answer your one question: I can get about 5-6 hours or cleanings out of a battery. I use Li-Ion rechargeable.

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Mike.
I noticed you said “ comes with “. Available ?

Doug

OP
OP
M

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike.
I noticed you said “ comes with “. Available ?

Doug

Hey Doug thanks for checking it out. I've listened twice for Available and can't figure out where I said that. But maybe this will help before I purchased a product someone else built. I had a home made unit that worked so so. Then I came across this guy named Frank which was making these units and seen some of his before and afters and decided to try it. When I purchased it, it comes with the Carbon Anode and a small packet of Brine mix all cables needed. I just needed to buy a 9v battery. I've tired it and have had allot of success with it. After posting pictures in instagram and other places I started getting a allot questions about the product and how I used it. So I decided to grab and large penny I found years ago and through I would make a video. Everyone in here detects and I figured I would share it here as well. If it helps 1 or 2 people then making the video wasn't a bad thing. Hopes this helps...

Mike

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Doug thanks for checking it out. I've listened twice for Available and can't figure out where I said that. But maybe this will help before I purchased a product someone else built. I had a home made unit that worked so so. Then I came across this guy named Frank which was making these units and seen some of his before and afters and decided to try it. When I purchased it, it comes with the Carbon Anode and a small packet of Brine mix all cables needed. I just needed to buy a 9v battery. I've tired it and have had allot of success with it. After posting pictures in instagram and other places I started getting a allot questions about the product and how I used it. So I decided to grab and large penny I found years ago and through I would make a video. Everyone in here detects and I figured I would share it here as well. If it helps 1 or 2 people then making the video wasn't a bad thing. Hopes this helps...

Mike

The quotes were around "comes with" not "available". He was referring to your post above that stated the unit "comes with" a place to hook up an external power supply, so he was basically asking if the unit was available for sale somewhere. Sounds like based on tour response Frank doesn't make them anymore. I think most people here know about electrolysis and are more interested in how to get their hands on the unit in the video or how to build one than how to use it.

OP
OP
M

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The quotes were around "comes with" not "available". He was referring to your post above that stated the unit "comes with" a place to hook up an external power supply, so he was basically asking if the unit was available for sale somewhere. Sounds like based on tour response Frank doesn't make them anymore. I think most people here know about electrolysis and are more interested in how to get their hands on the unit in the video or how to build one than how to use it.

Well It can be purchased at the link below and by no means I do have any affiliation with this guy. It's recommended to use 9v battery or rechargeable battery that would save people money. The external hook ups are for bigger items like bells, horse shoes etc etc. & I just talked to Ronnie and he said they are building an external 12v battery pack for larger items that will be available at a later date.

https://thegolddigger.com/products/ugly-box-coin-and-relic-cleaner-stabilizer?variant=30977437728883

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike - Thanks for the link and the video walkthrough on cleaning the copper.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own out of an old power converter and regulate the speed of cleaning by adjusting how far apart the "treasure" is from the anode. Far apart....slow, close together........fast. Get too close......get another power converter! :laughing7:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looked pretty good, I wasted a couple of coins by letting them cook too long or too hot or E, all of the above. The slow low cook sounds like the better set up for coins and such. The farther away from the anode makes sense too. The added key is knowing when to stop.

OP
OP
M

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looked pretty good, I wasted a couple of coins by letting them cook too long or too hot or E, all of the above. The slow low cook sounds like the better set up for coins and such. The farther away from the anode makes sense too. The added key is knowing when to stop.

You would be correct I would say! I usually check them every 30 minutes and go no longer than 1 hour before taking it out and rinsing it off before starting a new session. Depending how bad they are it usually takes me around 4-6 cooks to get them the way I like them. But I usually check them about every 15 minutes or so in the later cooks. I have a question for those who do this also, do you do anything special before putting them into a sleeve or holder afterwards?

Mike

goldiger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why wont the videos play when I click on it I get logged out of the app?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the video!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a fair number of people from many different pages ask for one so I thought I would share it here as well...

Mike K "Ohio"

Note: Toothpaste IS a polish. It is a very fine polish, but it is. That's fine if you really want to polish your coins but know that you are probably reducing any resale value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions