Equinox 6 inch coil vs 11 inch coil....

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great video and very informative. I had been considering the 6" coil for quite some time but I was not totally convinced the advantages...if there were any, would be worth the cash. Seems I was right to hold off. :icon_thumright:

I didn't realise that this blanking thing was going on. I only search beaches and there is a lot of iron nails, aluminium and lead scattered around. I am just wondering now how many targets I may have missed because of this issue.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors will blank in that situation...some are better than others...The Equinox and Deus both are the best..

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This confirms and explains a suspicion I've had but never tested. I see folks singing the praises of this machine as a relic site beast but have never had that experience with it myself on the sites I hunt.

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
All detectors will blank in that situation...some are better than others...The Equinox and Deus both are the best..

It is something I have never come across before but then again I have only done in air tests and of course things can certainly change for targets in the ground.

For example if I place a nail near a coin and run my Q40 across those targets it is will easily pick out both no matter how close I put them together, it even picks out the coin if I put the nail on top of the coin. Now as I say that is an in air test and I assume it may not be that clear cut with targets that have been buried for a long period of time?

I have seen people here in the UK promoting the 6" coil for the Equinox. Especially for use in and around piers where of course there is a lot of iron. I did try under a pier the other day with the 11" and it was pretty much unusable. I figured a 6" would not be so affected by all the iron but I am rethinking that now.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
How about adding the XP Deus and coils in the mix, just for fun.

g

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve swung over a certain “test” type setups many times where the 11 and 15” coils will see a silver dime from between two elevated crusty 1800’s nails and the 6” will not. Nails above dime 2-3” and about 1-2” apart, ...adjust nails closer so the 6 will miss dime each time, then the larger coils will hit it pretty easy still without falsely hitting off the iron. That was pre-Fe2-update, Hardly ever used the 6” since.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Good video CD. I too have kept the 11” coil on my EQX and have done well with it. My view is that if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it! :thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were your sensitivity, recovery speed, and iron bias settings with this test?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the f2 0, recovery 5, sens 19 or 20 …. I have done these type tests with different settings too in the past. Results were the same...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dislike hockey pucks myself, still wishing the folks at Minelab would give us a nice 8" coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's strange. I've hunted around fire pits where there are TONS of nails and other ferrous junk, and I find all kinds of non-ferrous stuff. More stuff than I've ever been able to find with other detectors in iron riddled areas. I detect in all metal, and usually run the recovery speed up to 7 or 8, and the F2 iron bias to at least 6, and sometimes to 9. Naturally, I work it pretty slow because of all the signals. Some of the signals aren't a good solid one, but, if I get any kind of squeak, I scoop some sand and sweep again. I agree that the 6" isn't much of an advantage except for getting close to big iron, such as posts, rebarred concrete, and playground equipment. In turfed areas, I'm a lot more selective. I rely more on depth than numbers or even sound, than I do at the beach.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started with the stock coil, it worked great. Bought the 15", but there's too much stuff in the ground and it was "confused" (saving it now for FL beaches). Bought the 6" and have been using it 95% of the time, it's fantastic! A lot of this depends on where you hunt. I laughed at the 6" coil when I bought it thinking that it's too small to do any real damage. Boy was I wrong! I'm certainly willing to give the stock coil a fair go again, and even the 15" for that matter. I would love them to be as effective or more. I could certainly cover more ground that's for sure. Nice video and if anything it starts a conversation, that's good. I don't mind being proved wrong in these things. I win either way. Thanks!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Sorry but I’m not totally convinced. My reasoning is the size of the 6” and the 11 or 15” center knife shaped signal of the DD. The 6” only covers 6” so you have to be more precise on the swing over a target and covers a much smaller detecting path. And the 6” can help in heavy trashed areas that items are very close together. In testing the 6” would have to be exactly over a target and because of the size of the 11 or 15” coils are more forgiving and in in trashy areas there could be multiple targets good or trashy under the coil at one time . Could you imagine going into a trashy area with a 10’ coil , that’s an exaggeration of course.

Doug

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY interesting results, Calabash. Good video; this motivates me to hit the test garden with my own (unused thus far) 6" coil...

Steve

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy that people believe that an 11-inch search coil will pick through trash better than a 6-inch search coil will because it just leaves more for me.

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This confirms and explains a suspicion I've had but never tested. I see folks singing the praises of this machine as a relic site beast but have never had that experience with it myself on the sites I hunt.

I don't think this is saying the Equinox is not a relic site beast, it is saying the 6-inch coil has issues. I have killed it in several relic sites with the 11" coil.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless I am in the woods (rare) I run the BIG coil.

Low and slow- it will lock on the target even in the trash.

But soon that won't matter...

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 6" coil for more than just the hopeful possibility of better separation in junk, though. It is perfect for poking around into the brush and briars. I love it when I get into the woods.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dislike hockey pucks myself, still wishing the folks at Minelab would give us a nice 8" coil.

They did but its on the Vanquish in the 540 propack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions