South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have their 600 or 800 stuck at the PA ML service center? My 600 has been there since December 23rd. They informed me last week then again today that they are waiting on ML to restock them with parts. Once they receive the parts they are going to replace my stock coil again and also my head unit.

Back in March I had the same problem “lost hightones” (suddenly silver quarters would read up a scratchy 12-15 and only at a 2”) and they replaced the coil in less than a week.

Aaargh, getting frustrated.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they are out of parts needed. Parts come from plant in Malaysia so they are waiting on shipment..

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Treasure_Hunter is correct. Maybe most than normal got broken due to the fall digging season, with more folks out digging, or they just plain didn't order enough spares to begin with. Inventory in just the nick of time is normal these days, lots of companies just don't keep much of a stock of anything anymore.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may also be that in some states (or federal?) that they want to reduce inventory for tax reasons, and therefor waited until after the new year to restock.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I forgot the end of year inventory thing!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When repair center was at Kellyco they were always waiting on Minelab parts from Malaysia and when they arrived half were back ordered.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot help but notice since the release of these reading many "repair" stories.

Does this seem to be "more than normal" to anyone else ?

Perhaps they are out of parts is due to the AMOUNT of repairs talking place.

In theory... a solid detector would only warrant anticipated amounts of repairs.

SO... hence,,, the amount of parts needed obviously has exceeded the anticipated stocking amounts.

Seems this detector has been plagued with "issues".

At least it seems that way.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot help but notice since the release of these reading many "repair" stories.

Does this seem to be "more than normal" to anyone else ?

Perhaps they are out of parts is due to the AMOUNT of repairs talking place.

In theory... a solid detector would only warrant anticipated amounts of repairs.

SO... hence,,, the amount of parts needed obviously has exceeded the anticipated stocking amounts.

Seems this detector has been plagued with "issues".

At least it seems that way.

Problem is you eventually run out of parts and when that happens you are stuck waiting on parts to be restocked from Malaysia, the wait can be 6-8 weeks at times and parts may be back ordered or only received half of what was ordered.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is reminiscent of 3 or 4 years ago when Kellyco was doing the repairs for Minelab - and couldn't get replacement parts.

Kellyco took an absolute ton of abuse for Minelab's shortfall - undeserved grief for a good company (Kellyco).

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only need to order 3 parts. Control head, rod, coil - nothing is repaired - all replaced - how hard could it be - unless the failure rate is way beyond what they planned.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting to know the failure rate is like trying to predict the outcome of the 2028 presidential election. For a comparison, I never had this problem with my White's Garrett, or Tesoro machine, may Tesoro RIP. I haven't been able to break the Deus yet. Plus I will probably be retiring it soon anyway, so we'll never know if I could break it or not.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only need to order 3 parts. Control head, rod, coil - nothing is repaired - all replaced - how hard could it be - unless the failure rate is way beyond what they planned.

This is exactly what I am saying.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... possibly...

MineLab made a first down on the field of tech advancements...

But fumbled the ball before reaching the goal line of quality.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, that's probably closer to the truth than anyone wants to admit.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, that's probably closer to the truth than anyone wants to admit.

You know the old saying "they don't make things like they used to".

Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come from them... where profit is goal over quality... riding a "name".

Well... IF they produced a "lemon" it will come back and haunt them with the repairs...

which would... essentially... turn those profits into dust in the wake of repair / replacement / man hours and costs.

Not to mention a mark / scar on the name itself.

The nox came out of the gate like a screaming cheetah wheelie in sales.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And when the warranties start to expire in about a year, no one knows the cost to repair so may be time to get another machine. The warranty goes from date of purchase, and if you've had a repair, the repaired part is considered part of the original purchase. Someone posted that here already. Most things are meant to be thrown away these days, even cars. My truck just turned 200,000 miles and I thought about getting a replacement, but with the throw away mentality, I'm keeping it until it rolls over on it's hood with all 4 wheels in the air and with it's dip stick hanging out.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They dont just order parts for the Nox, orders are made for all models, they are not just shipping Nox parts.

Failure rate iui s not high, they are out of parts and waiting on shipment.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just noticed there seems to be "issues" with this detector... overall.

My point is... that they are being sent in for repair /replacemnets AT ALL.

Sheesh this is supposed to be a "step up" in the overall detector tech.

This detector is a brand new release... To have problems in these amounts in muriple areas oveeall just seems to be out of the norm.

Personally... I don't give two craps about "parts" or the availability thereof...

I NEVER want to have to send a detector IN FOR repair to begin with... let alone less than a year of purchasing it.

That's just lame to begin with... you should NEVER have to send a detector in within a year of owning it...

a FEW lemon problems are expected... but not one after the other.

Who wants a detector that you have to "baby"... or worry about failures.

Who cares if it "hits great"... if it is in the end an overall POS.

Minelab trying to produce a detector on the cheap... to sell for cheap... is in the end only birthing "cheap".

I don't know about any of you... but I have better things to do with my time and money than to invest a grand into something that I have to box up and wait to be repaired to use again at some point.

Things break... this happens... but with this detector I get the overall opinion... that it is not an "if"... but a "when".

I want a REAL tool... not be treated like one.

PS... "quality is long remembered after price is forgotten"

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I find it funny whever I read these "my Equinox broke" threads that they attract non-Equinox users that seem to be the most bent out of shape about Equinox reliability or Minelab in general, and usually go on and on trying to convince themselves and others, with minimal evidence either way of the true reliability of the detector, that Equinox/ML is apparent junk.

About the only thing I can infer from the forums is that the Equinox appears to be a wildly popular detector based on number of posts, so I am not surprised that we are going to see posts about repair service. Anyway, I just find it odd that non-Equinox users tend to be more vocal about Equinox reliabiity and appear to be so committed to expending energy and bandwidth convincing everyone the Equinox is synomous with bad design, manufacturing, performance, or you name it.

Whether or not the premise that the Equinox is unreliable is true, I have no idea. I can only form my own point of view based on other Equinox users I personally know (and that runs close to 50, I reckon) and the anecdotal info I get from the repair center directly from a person I know and trust and who also runs a trusted detector dealership that is a Tnet sponsor, and my own first-hand experience with Equinox (and I have literally abused my machines from salt water to thicket). Anyway, it appears that Equinox is no more or less reliable than any other unit in it's price range.

Regardless, I find the emotional investment by the non-Equinox crowd amusing and always a great read. I hope you all feel better now that you have blown the lid off the Minelab Equinox reliability conspiracy.

Hope PA gets his detector back in his hands soon so he can go grab some more great finds with his Equinox. It does indeed suck on paper straws that he is stuck in spare parts hell, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions