Equinox GB Tracking & Silver... does Minelab admit to problems with it?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend just asked me about something she had seen on Faceook about using ground balance tracking causing them to miss silver. Supposedly Minelab has acknowledged the problem and recommends not using it. At this point, I'm very skeptical but said I'd post it here to see if anybody else has heard about this.

This is a screenshot of the guy's claim:

scrap.jpg

(Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video yet, myself)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about this, however any given machine operator can overtweak a machine to miss a Mack truck in the fast lane on the interstate. Someone I knew had a Minelab and was missing huge silver coins because it had been set to ignore signals that high due to the desire to miss aluminum cans. A change to the settings fixed that.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has not been my experience. I use GB tracking extensively and Smokey can back me up that it hasn't hampered my ability to detect silver or other targets when we've detected together.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If I recall Minelab recommended using it for gold even on the older model exterra 70.
auto tracking allows ground balancing on the go when the ground mineral change and try’s to cancel it out so the detector can operate on mineralized soil. Targets are minerals !! If you pass over a target to many times it can cancel that target out even on gold. But when detecting you can detect in varying ground and I think have deeper targets.
if it dose null a target out you had just run the coil over your shovel or scoop and go back over it.
So I don’t think there is any problem.
don’t hold me to all this.
Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I recall Minelab recommended using it for gold even on the older model exterra 70.
auto tracking allows ground balancing on the go when the ground mineral change and try’s to cancel it out so the detector can operate on mineralized soil. Targets are minerals !! If you pass over a target to many times it can cancel that target out even on gold. But when detecting you can detect in varying ground and I think have deeper targets.
if it dose null a target out you had just run the coil over your shovel or scoop and go back over it.
So I don’t think there is any problem.
don’t hold me to all this.
Doug

I've tried to over-sample and get my Nox800 to cancel a non-ferrous target, but, try as I may, I can't get it to do it. It's just not a problem with an Equinox, so, don't worry that you're swinging too many times over a target and losing it. In my area, messing with the ground balance in not necessary. I use the standard 0 setting and don't have any ground noise. I've run manual and auto also, and don't find any difference here.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Noise cancelled, auto gb, reducing sensitivity, slowing swing speed. From my experience anything you can do to help the Nox operate smoother will optimize its magical powers.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Minelab admit to something like that? I don't think so.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And Minelab admit to something like that? I don't think so.

I agree with Smokey. Minelab will admit to a defective machine (like mine had a leaky display). But I have never heard them say anything about some of their features and not working as designed.

Once I thought my 800 was defective. Since I was doing some air test and could not get it to see a dime any deeper than 5 inches. They guide me through my settings and we found I had my sensitivity set way low for some unknown reason. Maybe the cat did it. Cats are curious creatures. But when I set the sensitivity up to 20 and the 800 performed as expected. Needless to say, I felt a little foolish at that discovery. But it taught me a good lesson to carefully run through all my settings and assume nothing before a hunt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cats surely did it.

Yup, gotta be careful with anything that has a touch pad. My sister's cat has many times activated the self cleaning oven or turned on the TV.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine just surf the web, help with my typing or turn the computer off.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how I see this posted here as I was a part of this exact thread on FB.

Encountered a bit of resistance and was affirmed by Jim that he was told by ML that it was repeatable... Which in all my tests wasn't UNLESS I was trying to find a target like his over top of Iron, OR in a hole that was uncovered which every machine tends to struggle with.

Minelab.PNG

Let me know if My reply was inadequate but I've had one since launch and have played with it quite extensively in gold rich areas, dry sand, beaches, high mineralized and red clay like areas and have almost always found a silver if it was there and in fact my coil passed over top.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This has not been my experience. I use GB tracking extensively and Smokey can back me up that it hasn't hampered my ability to detect silver or other targets when we've detected together.

That has been my experience, as well. That said, though... you never know what you may have missed.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Any machine running auto trak ground balance can cancel out good signals if you linger over good targets. I never run auto.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any machine running auto trak ground balance can cancel out good signals if you linger over good targets. I never run auto.

Like I said, try to do it with the Equinox. You can swing over a small non-ferrous target for 10 minutes and it won't cancel out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, try to do it with the Equinox. You can swing over a small non-ferrous target for 10 minutes and it won't cancel out.

So tired of having to repeatedly say this, so I'm glad you are doing it instead, Cuda. Lol.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has been my experience, as well. That said, though... you never know what you may have missed.

Agreed, but I know it had nothing to do with running tracking GB. If anything, it helped in the variable soil I was running.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
205 silver coins in 2019 running tracking. Worked fine for me. I did hear it could be a hit or miss issue with machines but who knows.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto ground balance is recommended by minelab. Auto tracking is recommended for gold modes. I used auto tracking for the last year. I’m going back over some of the areas I previously hit and I’m pulling out a lot more leaving auto tracking off. Also, auto tracking will consider the iron items in the ground as mineralization and your ground balance numbers will climb. I believe this causes more falsing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions