Who here would be interested in solid coil covers for their Equinox?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strongly agree with vferrari about the unenclosed top of the coil being a non issue for land hunting use. And just to let you know, I'm still interested in obtaining those solid covers for all the Minelab factory coils for the Equinox 800. Do you have the factory 15" x 12" coil? Is the aftermarket round Coiltek 15" DD a big improvement over the 15" x 12" factory coil? Price difference if any?

I have both the Minelab 12 X 15 and the Coiltek 15" round. In the short time I've had the Coiltek, I find it's slightly deeper.....maybe an inch or two, but, a bit heavier too. It makes the Equinox nose heavy enough to where I would use a sling for any hunt lasting longer than a couple of hours. It doesn't pin point quite as easily as the 12 X 15 either, which is no surprise, but, it's not that big a deal. IIRC. the price difference was about $20-30? If I was only going to get one of the two, and the added depth wasn't important, I'd get the 12 X 15. I can swing it all day and the quicker pin pointing is worth it to me.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Minelab 12 X 15 and the Coiltek 15" round. In the short time I've had the Coiltek, I find it's slightly deeper.....maybe an inch or two, but, a bit heavier too. It makes the Equinox nose heavy enough to where I would use a sling for any hunt lasting longer than a couple of hours. It doesn't pin point quite as easily as the 12 X 15 either, which is no surprise, but, it's not that big a deal. IIRC. the price difference was about $20-30? If I was only going to get one of the two, and the added depth wasn't important, I'd get the 12 X 15. I can swing it all day and the quicker pin pointing is worth it to me.

Thanks for your honest comparison of the two large coils for the Nox. The 15 X 12 Nox coil will be my next addition to my Nox coil arsenal.
Walt

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, if I was a land hunter, but since I hunt beaches more, it'll be a bit of a pain. Great idea for the relic hunters out there.

Josh

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remove the cover, clean the bottom of the coil with alcohol. Then I spray 5-6 (or as many as I want) coats of liquid rubber. You can use spray or the heavy liquid type. I have heard that the that some of this stuff has metal in it. I have never found any that does. I have coils I coated and have used for years without any problems.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remove the cover, clean the bottom of the coil with alcohol. Then I spray 5-6 (or as many as I want) coats of liquid rubber. You can use spray or the heavy liquid type. I have heard that the that some of this stuff has metal in it. I have never found any that does. I have coils I coated and have used for years without any problems.

Kind of getting away from the point of this thread. Op is talking about solid covers vs. the fitted covers supplied with the coils because solid covers help keep corn stalks and other vegetation from getting caught between the coil supports while swinging in farm fields and in scrub.

Also, coating coils is a great option for beach hunters unless the manufacturer considers that a non-reversible modification that voids the ML 3-year coil warranty should the coil fail for reasons other than simply having the coating on the coil.

Last edited:

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I can't imagine pinpointing being any easier if the solid cover isn't transparent, i ding up enough coins already.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Just my protective cover / skid plate fills with very fine sand and pours out like a funnel when I tip it from side to side and if I go into water it fills with wet sand. The sand on L Michigan is very fine sand not like the corse sand like ocean sand. Mine was so bad I had to fill the open cavities on the bottom of my coil with silicone sealant. Before I did that my coil was heavy with dry sand and when that sand gets wet it is even heavier.
I understand your thoughts on a complete cover. But not in my conditions.
Before I filled it with the silicone I had to take the cove off any time I went to a beach because there was just to much inside it.

Doug
Just food for thought, but how much weight did you permanently add to your coil with silicone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread