Good Deed and a Question

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the beach. Rainy and windy and pretty miserable.
I did manage to get out for a couple of hours. Found the usual junk and coins.
The best thing I found was one gold loop ear ring with some small diamonds in it.

Now the good deed was I walking down the beach when I saw these people pointing at me and talking. Finally, a boy of about 12 came over and asked if I would help them. It seems their aunt had lost a silver ring, with a stone in it, somewhere in the sand. They showed me an area in which they thought she had lost the ring. You could see where the sand was dug up where they had obviously been searching.

I started searching and after about a minute I got a solid hit and when I scrapped back the sand, there it was. Needless to say they were all thrilled and kept thanking me.

So I figured I did my good deed for the day. It was nice to be able to help them. I was thinking one day that it is sort of sad that most of our treasure is from someone elses loss.

Now my question. Why is it a nickle will hit about 25 and a quarter will hit a solid 29/30. However, when I found this bolt and nut, which is about 3/4" in diameter and 5" long, in about 6" of sand, it only registered 16. I would have thought this would have blow off the dial.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, has anyone else noticed that after the last update, things like aluminum cans and pull tabs are hitting a higher number? Use to be pull tabs would hit about 10 to 12. Now they are hitting 18 to 20?

Thanks

Attachments

• Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 60

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the ring recovery. I had a similar experience a couple years ago, sort of makes you feel like a hero.

Your nickels hitting 25 is really high, my high range on a nickel is 15. Maybe the beach you were at was mineralized and causing all your numbers to increase.

The bolt looks stainless steel. Sounds about right for a midtone 16.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Gold and a silver good deed makes for a great outing. Grats!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the ring recovery. I had a similar experience a couple years ago, sort of makes you feel like a hero.

Your nickels hitting 25 is really high, my high range on a nickel is 15. Maybe the beach you were at was mineralized and causing all your numbers to increase.

The bolt looks stainless steel. Sounds about right for a midtone 16.

The bolt and threaded rod are just galavanized metal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Equinox 800 with the latest updates, clean nickels read 13. Add some corrosion, and the number starts to drop lower. I've never had a nickel read higher than 13 (except silver war nickels), and I've dug a s**t load of 14's and up. Tabs read all over the place......mainly 12-18 with the higher numbers being the older style full rings or whole beaver tails. I also find lots of partial tabs that read in the 8 to 12 range.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honorable mention good job My Nox hits nickles at 13 all day long is there iron in the sand just a thought
. Well done. Tommy

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Nickels usually 12/13 unless there is a piece of trash or something in the hole also.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had a nickel and a quarter in the close proximity, not stacked, and the numbers were all over the place. The Nox couldn’t figure out what was there. I was in park 1.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had a nickel and a quarter in the close proximity, not stacked, and the numbers were all over the place. The Nox couldn’t figure out what was there. I was in park 1.

Thats typical of a multi-denominational coin spill using Equinox, especially if nickels are involved.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am headed back to the beach this week. I will double check/verify my readings and let you know what I find.

I forgot to mention, in many of my past posting, there was one section on the beach behind two homes that just made my 800 go nuts. Could never figure out what was happening.

However, the last time I was at the beach the storms had eroded part of the beach behind these two homes, there was solid rock, and it appears to have minerals in it which the 800 picks ups. Now I know what was going on.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It you have nickles hitting at 25 and galvanized bolts hitting at 16, something is amuck.
A modern nickel does not have enough conductivity to register 25.
I would recommend a full reset.
After reset.
Go to whatever mode you were using when you found nickel, do not change any default settings.
Then, air test a couple of different nickels.
If the nickels air tests between 14 and 15, your detector is working as it should.
Now take the nickels back to beach site and bury them in different holes at different depths.
You should be getting the same numbers as your air test.
If not, it's time to call Minelab.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"So I figured I did my good deed for the day. It was nice to be able to help them. I was thinking one day that it is sort of sad that most of our treasure is from someone elses loss."
Our hobby would not be possible without losers

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the gold earring and the stellar return of the silver ring. Good job!
Yes, nickels for me hit at 13 as well as platinum. When the TID is jumping around then it’s usually a pull tab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread