need nox 600 info on the beach

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to know what your settings were at the time. What was sensitivity, recovery speed, what mode were you in and did you ground balance? Also how do you know you swept the exact same spot?

OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No ground balance. salt water beach. Factory reset. Beach 1.
Appreciate any help

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scenario you present is not unusual. I can go right behind people and find good things with just about any machine. Here is an example: Next time you go out, do a "normal" swing. WATCH precisely where the loop goes and look for areas it does not cover. Did you lift the coil off the ground at the end of the swing?
Tall folks will a lot of times have more "space" between loop swings and since most machines only find stuff directly under the loop, you miss it by 1" you miss it by a mile. Your machine is probably ok. I have gone over the same spots in this one Civil War camp and every time I go over the exact same spots, I get more stuff, it's the height of the loop over the ground, wetness or dryness of soil, your stride, closeness of the sweep, air temperature, speed of your swing and battery charge of the machine, among others. I once walked right past where a competitor was digging, we were looking for shipwreck coins at the ocean beach. 2" from his boot print I got a signal and a 1780 shipwreck coin! And I KNOW he's a competent detectorist. I finally met him one day.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scenario you present is not unusual. I can go right behind people and find good things with just about any machine. Here is an example: Next time you go out, do a "normal" swing. WATCH precisely where the loop goes and look for areas it does not cover. Did you lift the coil off the ground at the end of the swing?
Tall folks will a lot of times have more "space" between loop swings and since most machines only find stuff directly under the loop, you miss it by 1" you miss it by a mile. Your machine is probably ok. I have gone over the same spots in this one Civil War camp and every time I go over the exact same spots, I get more stuff, it's the height of the loop over the ground, wetness or dryness of soil, your stride, closeness of the sweep, air temperature, speed of your swing and battery charge of the machine, among others. I once walked right past where a competitor was digging, we were looking for shipwreck coins at the ocean beach. 2" from his boot print I got a signal and a 1780 shipwreck coin! And I KNOW he's a competent detectorist. I finally met him one day.

Phew, that's a relief, I thought you were talking about me for a moment until you said that he's a competent detectorist. :)

To the OP, reset your machine to the defaults and try again. Chains are actually the hardest targets to detect, and unlike flat on coins their detectability depends highly on how they are oriented in the ground (since their footprint can vary from a ball of metal to spread out) and the angle at which you approach them. Edge on coins are often hard to detect but the detectability of chains is all over the map.

Smokey is right that you can't necessarily presume your detector is at fault because someone found something where you thought you already detected.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No ground balance. salt water beach. Factory reset. Beach 1.
Appreciate any help

Still didnt say what your sensitivity was set at and why didnt you do a ground balance? A lot will also depend on how you sweep the coil, there is a very good chance you didnt sweep the coil over the chain.

A lot of people especially new hunters do not sweep properly, they sweep in an arc instead of keeping coil parallel to the ground through the entire sweep and they also sweep to far above surface, every inch your coil is above the surface is 1 inch less depth you are getting under the ground. I see it a lot at the beach, people swinging the coil like a sickle in an arc and 4 inches above the ground plus walking fast as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread