Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Met

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Review of Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Series Metal Detectors.

I think this is the best book in his Equinox series. It is written for a large group of new Equinox users. It is not written for very experience users of other Minelab products or the Equinox experts and there are a few of those experts around.

It is written for and I think most helpful for the newbie who bought the Equinox 600 or 800 and experienced detectorists coming from other non-Minelab machines. The total newbies to metal detecting should buy a good beginners metal detecting book and all three of Clive’s Equinox books.

The book is packed with information that for me told me two major things: 1) why I was not getting the performance out of my Equinox that others were reporting and 2) how to make the Equinox do what I need it to do to perform at a level it was design to perform.

I am not going into a lot of detail because that would be like quoting everything in the book.

I will tell you I learned what my biggest problem was with me and my 800. By playing around with all of the features without not truly understanding the physics behind most of the settings I was operating with a detector that was often greatly de-tuned or not balanced. A balanced Equinox means selecting the proper modes for your type of hunting and small settings adjustments to make the 800 a little more balanced.

The Equinox engineers made the different modes for park, field, beach and gold very balanced. In most cases just using the default mode best for your type of hunting will serve you will. Only until you truly understand the settings and how to effectively use them you should leave them alone. This is why just copying other detectorist’s settings will get you into trouble. Their settings are for their environment, not yours.

Keeping in mind that sensitivity (gain), recovery speed, and iron bias all affect each other. So, you really need to make small adjustments of all in a manner that none or many of these adjustments cause an unbalanced detector.

Sounds complicated? Yes it is. But it becomes a lot less complicated after reading Clive’s third Equinox book carefully. The book is packed full of information on the above topics. I was surprised to learn that even the detector’s volume level affects your ability to hear deep targets and not buy turning up the volume which is what most of us would think to do.

I recommend all three of Clive’s books for the novice as well as a good metal detecting beginners book. For the more experienced detectorists who have never use a Minelab detector the third book will probably be enough to get you over the Equinox learning curve hump.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’ve looked on eBay and Amazon and haven’t been able to find his books.
ok my mistake I just found the by googling them. Is their only two.

Doug

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Ok thanks for the quick reply

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I could use it lol

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After trying to reach for the book several times, I realized your spelling is wrong. Its Clynick not Clylick. Never heard of the guy and took me a few tries.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Clive Cylick third Equinox book – “Skill-Building with the Minelab Equinox Se...

His books are available in the classified section of this forum FYI and thru his website Clivesgoldpage.com

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stuck with the daddy of all Equinox books by Andy Sabisch.

Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very good read. Screenshot_20200313-145645~2.jpg

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After trying to reach for the book several times, I realized your spelling is wrong. Its Clynick not Clylick. Never heard of the guy and took me a few tries.

opps, thanks I will fix that.

well I tried to fix it and it will not let me edit that post. why??????

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opps, thanks I will fix that.

well I tried to fix it and it will not let me edit that post. why??????

Oops. Tnet doesn't let posts get edited after they have been up for a few days.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought his first EQ book because it was the only thing in print at that time. came in handy and was small enough to take along. anyone have both that could say if it's worth getting the new one?

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont believe I know hardly anything about my nox 800 other than noise cancel and ground balance then hunt on park one. If there is a book out there that can help me tame all the jumpy numbers and falsing in high trash areas than I am in. I hear good things about the skill building book. Are these worth the $18?

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont believe I know hardly anything about my nox 800 other than noise cancel and ground balance then hunt on park one. If there is a book out there that can help me tame all the jumpy numbers and falsing in high trash areas than I am in. I hear good things about the skill building book. Are these worth the $18?

Yes Clive Clynick's third book will answer that problem and well worth $18. His other two books are also good. I also read Andy Sabisch's The Equinox series handbook. It is a good basic book on the Equinox and goes further than what Minelab's manual goes with some metal detecting basic theory. The only parts Sabisch's book that I had a problem with was quite a few sidebars on settings that other's used for their different types of hunting. This can cause an inexperienced detectorist to just copy those settings and have his Equinox not balanced or not optimized properly. Why is this? Because everyone parks and fields and beaches are not the same. He should have spent more space in the book about how to understand and properly use all of the different Equinox settings. This comes from my personal experience of trying to use settings that other's have suggested on the forums and apply them to my hunting sites. As a result I often had a detector that was not correctly set up for my hunting sites which means I was likely missing a lot of targets I would have found had my Equinox been set up correctly. Clive's book really hits on understanding what the settings mean and how they apply so you can go anywhere and set your Equinox for the current hunt site. I remember a number of experienced forum members said that is what I should do, but I wanted to do it the quick way and just copy someone else's settings. There is no quick way with the Equinox. I read Clive's third book twice and still use it for a reference on my Equinox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread