South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a plethora of info in old posts in this forum. Use the search tool and read up. Good luck!

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNSharpshooter, Square Nail Squirrel, Calabash

Jeff

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Google YouTube Minelab Equinox 600 or 800. Or google YouTube “Minelab Equinox and subject like ground balance or anywhere.
There are a bunch of them on YouTube
Doug

OP
OP
A

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, i have seen most of them. I guess I think the equinox is more advanced that it really is.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried U-Tube but the posters start most of their sentences with um. There's a manual you can download.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If it was a perfect science it would be easy. The newer machine are more sensitive and we are aloud to make fine adjustments.
Just try to ask yourself what the adjustments is for and what is the situation asking you to do.
your not going to learn everything with a flip of a switch. It takes time.
You have two methods. One is TID and the other is tone and you have to listen close sometimes. For the sound breaking up (crakeling) on Iron. And listen close for Chang of sound when there is iron/trash next to a target.
Have fun and enjoy detecting.
Doug

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a perfect science it would be easy. The newer machine are more sensitive and we are aloud to make fine adjustments.
Just try to ask yourself what the adjustments is for and what is the situation asking you to do.
your not going to learn everything with a flip of a switch. It takes time.
You have two methods. One is TID and the other is tone and you have to listen close sometimes. For the sound breaking up (crakeling) on Iron. And listen close for Chang of sound when there is iron/trash next to a target.
Have fun and enjoy detecting.
Doug
Could you explain this a little more?

"For the sound breaking up (crakeling) on Iron. And listen close for Chang of sound when there is iron/trash next to a target."

I havent been able to get any real good answers how to find targets in iron. Im not looking for settings like everyone asks for but what sounds are you listening for? Whats the crackling? I go super slow in iron but I rarely feel confident enough to dig any signals. When I do, its iron. I confirm this by rechecking hole.

When people say " I pulled this silver coin from the iron next to the cellar" what are they listening to? Surely not a repeatable signal from all directions, right?

Is it just a quick tiny blip of a high tone and you say f@#k it and dig?

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
First what mode settings are you in.
Which detector do you have.
Until you learn I’d stay in Factory presets patterns.
Have you looked and read the manual on Minelab site.
if you listen when the coil goes over iron it has more of a grunt lower tone and when you go over non Ferris like a coin it will be a higher clearer sound. Sometimes when you pass over iron next to a coin you will here the iron but you may faintly hear a higher sound of the coin. When it is aluminum foil or a pull tab if you listen it may have a crackle broke up sound that can give you and idea weather it’s something good or not.

Doug

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First what mode settings are you in.
Which detector do you have.
Until you learn I’d stay in Factory presets patterns.
Have you looked and read the manual on Minelab site.
if you listen when the coil goes over iron it has more of a grunt lower tone and when you go over non Ferris like a coin it will be a higher clearer sound. Sometimes when you pass over iron next to a coin you will here the iron but you may faintly hear a higher sound of the coin. When it is aluminum foil or a pull tab if you listen it may have a crackle broke up sound that can give you and idea weather it’s something good or not.

Doug
Using the 600. Park 1. Sensitivity in iron at 15. Using all size coils 6" 11" and 15"

I get into the iron and its grunting and falsing occasionally on the iron halos. I swing very slow investigating the signals. But I dont hear anything that says dig me. Occasionally I'll pull a button thats sitting above the iron at maybe 2 inches but I'm not sure if I'm separating iron and non ferrous targets well. Those who hunt in iron, do they just take a lot of chances and dig all funky blips? I know when I hear iron because of the grunt. And I can isolate individual nails. But even then, I'm not getting any real repeatable high or mid tones in the iron. Maybe a little squeak here and there but nothing repeatable from multiple directions.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try listening for the “softness” or “ roundness” of the signal. Most coins & especially silver seems to have that “different” sound/tone to the signal. When you haven’t heard “it” in awhile, it kinda leaves your ears....but you will know it next time you hear it!
Also, keep in mind that coins/silver close to iron may have a lower number....and/or a jumpy number. Example...my nox loves modern nails. Typically get a 18-27ish jumpy signal a lot of times with the “softness, roundness” tone ( I assume it’s the round head on modern nails) ...but I typically dig them because I’ve dug silvers with the same jumpy numbers when close to iron or square nails. You can also use the pinpoint function to get an idea of how long the target is.....but I typically still dig these types of signals just to be safe.
I’m not a dig all guy, but remember the more you dig, the more signals you could possibly open up.
Also, you may only get a 1 way signal on coins close to iron depending on your coil positions....you can test this by laying a coin in between to rusty nails & seeing where the coil picks up all 3 other than just the nails.
Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread