Pinpointer as Deep as a Reg Mode?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

Am I correct in thinking the center-pad pin-pointer does not go as deep as a regular mode? I.e. you can hear a deep target with say Park1, sens 23 but it's too deep for the pin-pointer. Thanks!

That can happen in theory. To test this, simply remove a couple inches of sod/soil at least the size of your coil (if you can) then you should be able to get a better pinpoint.

Some people are dead set against big plugs but they actually cause less root damage to grass.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember the deeper it is the more accurate you have to be over the target in either mode and if your off just an inch you can miss it.
As the signal deeper under the coil the less from the front to back and side to side the signal is and being a DD coil you have less to work with from side to side.

Doug

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Am I correct in thinking the center-pad pin-pointer does not go as deep as a regular mode? I.e. you can hear a deep target with say Park1, sens 23 but it's too deep for the pin-pointer. Thanks!

Mine seems to be the other way around. I can get a sketchy or real weak signal, hit the pin point button, and it then seems loud and clear. I don't think I've ever had a regular signal that disappeared when I hit the pin point button.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpoint puts all the power in the ground where discrimination does not due to the discrimination circuits.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the pinpoint go silent over a shallow ferrous chunk today in a corn field. Swung it up horizontal and got a solid continuous signal, cycled pinpoint off/on and seemed fine. A while later pinpoint was real faint on a target that was loud in field2 but pinpoint volume came back as i dug. weird.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember just because you have a 6” or a 11” or 15”. You act don’t have that full amount and you can actually I'm guessing take a full inch of them in certain situations.
so you better be ddad center and off only an inch between each swing can be big difference and jut leaning a little can cause that.
Remember they are DD coils and put only a knife shape signal below the coil and front to back you may only have 5” to 10” of usable signal and from side to side even less.
If you are doing big swipes I’ll bet you will never be exact every time. So a more steady sweat and not real big and keeping the coil flat. A DD coil dose not put out a bowl signal like the old concentric coils.
I wish Minelab would produce a 5 x 11 elliptic DD coil. for the Equanox
Doug

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been working on coil control, 1 step 3 swings and repeat. No earth shaking results but need to get better sites. But the old advice on coil control rings true from the oldest detecting info. Level coil, over lapping swings and target consistency.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

Are you referring to your handheld pinpointer, or to the pinpoint mode of the detector?

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you referring to your handheld pinpointer, or to the pinpoint mode of the detector?
The detector...but the comments make sense in that the PP is deeper but you have a very small area to get over deep targets...and I must miss at times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions