Steve's Detector Rods - Totally Awesome!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To start off, I really do like the Minelab Equinox very much. However, she's a bit of a flawed beauty. Although I never had the shaft wobble issues that others had complained about, I always did feel that the machine felt a bit on the "chintzy" side. I had heard about Steve's Detector Rods from other members on the forum and decided that I would treat myself to one after I had finished up with college. I went back to school in my early 40's and worked my butt off for two years so I figured; what the heck!

Up until this afternoon I would have told you that a an aftermarket shaft is a nice to have. I am telling you now, that an aftermarket shaft is a must have, and if you're going to do it; go with Steve's Detector Rods! I purchased a complete shaft for my Equinox on Sunday night and it arrived today (Wednesday) first thing in the morning! It was easy as can be to move the arm cuff, coil, and control box over to the new shaft, everything lined up perfectly.

You will notice the difference in quality between Steve's carbon fiber shaft and Minelab's factory shaft almost immediately. If you're going to make a purchase go ahead and order the complete carbon fiber shaft system. It's like upgrading from a Ford Fiesta to a Porsche! I can't say enough good things about Steve's Detector Rods, Steve will probably get a job offer from Minelab someday; this is the shaft that should have shipped with the Equinox in the first place!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
secondstar -- WOW! THANK YOU so much, for the terrific compliments! As always, I'm thrilled to know that you are a happy customer -- that's always the goal!

Thanks for your business, and for taking the time to comment on your shaft. I am so glad you like it!

Thank you!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Second star did you also get the counterweight. I believe it’s a must have option. I never take mine off.
Doug

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not get the counterweight option. I know that the machine is a little nose heavy, but this never really bothered me all that much.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Second star did you also get the counterweight. I believe it’s a must have option. I never take mine off.
Doug
Donut,

I am going to order the complete system and I too was thinking I should get the counter-weight. I want to be able to use a 15" coil with it feeling nose heavy.

Do you use the 15" coil and if so how much weight do you suggest?

Thanks

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
No I do not Have the 15” but I’m sure it will help and with that big coil you will probably need to to install both bags of counterweight inside it.
Doug

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donut,

I am going to order the complete system and I too was thinking I should get the counter-weight. I want to be able to use a 15" coil with it feeling nose heavy.

Do you use the 15" coil and if so how much weight do you suggest?

Thanks

Just contact Steve directly. He has a method to determine how much counterweight you might need based on the coil you typically swing, your height, and how you swing the coil (far out or near your feet). It really is customized to fit your needs and needs to be determined based on how long the lower rod is typically extended when you are detecting. Asking others can't get you the information you need to make the right determination on the counterweight to suit your needs. Steve gives personalized service to his customers. That and the quality of his product are what sets him apart.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve worked with me on my equinox 600 to replace the stock shaft with his carbon fiber. I needed mine cut into two sections to allow the fitting of the folding mechanism I had already installed to make it easy to fit in a backpack without disassembly.
It is on its way and will be here any day. As it was precut transferring everything over should be a snap. I intend to post the finished job when it’s done.
Thanks Steve

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use a counter weight, my 70yr old arm gets tired fairly quickly

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I did not get the counterweight option. I know that the machine is a little nose heavy, but this never really bothered me all that much.
You should add the counter weight. It screws into the end of the shaft and is quality built.
Doug

Sam.A

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2019
Covington, LA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote a review on FB about Steve's rods and they are fantastic. I wouldn't be without them. The counterweight is something you have to experience to believe.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, everyone! Thanks for the terrific comments! I really appreciate it! I am so glad to have been able to achieve so many happy customers, and most important, it makes me smile that I am able to make the detecting experience for some just a bit more pleasant/comfortable!

Thank you all!

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sphillips -- sounds good to me. I'm available anytime.

Thank you!

Steve

Thx Steve, not in the budget this month but maybe next.

steve

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven’t put my Equinox down in over two weeks since my initial review. Swapping out the factory shaft for one of Steve’s is like going from fish sticks to caviar! I think that my Deus is getting jealous!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
secondstar -- THANK YOU for the followup! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear about customers that are as excited and satisfied as you are! (Though, I do feel a bit bad for your Deus... ;) )

THANK YOU!

Steve

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late to the party here. Steve’s products are superior! I have Steve’s Equinox800 set-up, just perfect. My CTX is in the shop but I will be contacting Steve shortly to check out his offerings for the 3030. Steve if you read this shoot me an email so I can order more great stuff!

Semper Fi,
EJD

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
USMC Reaper,

THANKS for the kind words! I sent you an email about a CTX lower rod, as requested!

Thank you sir!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread