Swing Speed vs Recovery Speed

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,
I have the 600, my soil is very quiet, I use recovery 3 around trash and 2 in cleaner places.
I usually slow my swing speed down when I go into 2 recovery. Sometimes slowing down quiets the machine...but many times I don't hear any falsing when I forget to slow down....so is it the falsing that makes you have to slow down when lowering recovery or is it something to do with the return signal not catching up with your coil?
If I don't hear any fasling can I swing fast with a medium recovery?

Btw, I never run 1 recovery, it always falses, no matter my swing speed.

Thanks!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet everyone is out hunting. Someone will answer you. I’m a Garrett user, so I can’t provide any help. I will say that you are certainly learning the nuances of your machine. How long have you been using the Nox? Have you found any gold?

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks UB, I was an early adopter of the nox and use it almost every day. We don't find lots of gold in these parts. No natural gold and few gold pieces.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 800, so, my advice may not apply specifically to your numbers. In general, I use a fairly slow to moderate swing speed. It's just something I've gotten used to over the years and feels comfortable to me. I do slow down if I'm in bad ground (ie. black sand, iron infestation, junky park, etc). I then sometimes play with the Iron Bias, (if appropriate), Sensitivity (at all times) and Recovery Speed. On recovery speed, that will depend on the average good target depth and what type of ground interference I'm working with. A slow recovery speed will give me more depth, but, sometimes increases the chatter to an unacceptable level. In clean ground with few targets, I run the recovery speed on the low side (for greater depth) and swing at my normal pace. I never swing fast. It's just too hard on my arm, shoulder, wrist, etc, and frankly, I'm just not in that big a hurry! :laughing7:

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 800, so, my advice may not apply specifically to your numbers. In general, I use a fairly slow to moderate swing speed. It's just something I've gotten used to over the years and feels comfortable to me. I do slow down if I'm in bad ground (ie. black sand, iron infestation, junky park, etc). I then sometimes play with the Iron Bias, (if appropriate), Sensitivity (at all times) and Recovery Speed. On recovery speed, that will depend on the average good target depth and what type of ground interference I'm working with. A slow recovery speed will give me more depth, but, sometimes increases the chatter to an unacceptable level. In clean ground with few targets, I run the recovery speed on the low side (for greater depth) and swing at my normal pace. I never swing fast. It's just too hard on my arm, shoulder, wrist, etc, and frankly, I'm just not in that big a hurry! :laughing7:

I’m leaning toward upgrading to the 800, but am curious about one thing. Does the Nox do any better at discriminating between a gold object,( whether plated or not), and pull tabs? Is that something specific to multiple frequencies? Thank you in advance.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple answer is no. Gold can read all over the I.D. range. Now when it comes to sound and whether the I.D. number is stable or jumps around a bit......that's a matter for experience and hundreds of hours with the machine.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple answer is no. Gold can read all over the I.D. range. Now when it comes to sound and whether the I.D. number is stable or jumps around a bit......that's a matter for experience and hundreds of hours with the machine.

Yessir, it’s the same with my Pro. Gold is anywhere between 42 and 75 up in the penny range. Thanks!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply run recovery speed at 2 if using the factory 11"

Wow... and the OP wrote, "I use recovery 3 around trash and 2 in cleaner places"

I consider even recovery speed of 3 to be very slow. Most of the time I'm running at 4 or even 5. Am I missing a lot because of that?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 600 only has 1, 2, and 3, which is approximately 2, 4, and 6 on the 800.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you running for sensitivity?.... Charlives

Im using the 800 and run 6 recovery speed but i will adjust sensitivity down when falsing orcures.. Im usually running around 20 for sensitivity sometimes 18 and sometimes 23...

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great question by the way...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recovery speed is simply the speed with which the machine returns to its steady state after passing a target. Usually what you're after is how fast it recovers from "blanking" a bad target. too slow, and it may miss a good target that's close to the bad target. Downside of too fast is on deep "good" targets, the target signal may be too quick, and weak to hear. Like everything else on our detectors, it's all a compromise. Best thing is to bury a known good target at various depths where you're working, and set the recovery as fast as possible, and still give a signal you can hear, at the max depth you're likely to find something. My buddy uses a Nox 800...I use a Whites DFX. The same rules apply to both.
Jim

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, guys! Interesting to throw sensitivity into the equation, Toecutter. I had to think about it for a sec...many times I'm not getting any falsing with a 2 recov while swinging fast, so I guess I could raise the sens, especially taking into account what Jim said.
BUT, if I raised it I MIGHT create falsing which in turn would make me have to slow down my swing speed :icon_scratch::laughing7:
To sum it up, I guess the answer is I CAN swing fast in a lower recovery speed IF I'm not getting falsing.
Thanks everyone!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you running for sensitivity?.... Charlives

Im using the 800 and run 6 recovery speed but i will adjust sensitivity down when falsing orcures.. Im usually running around 20 for sensitivity sometimes 18 and sometimes 23...

Yes. There is more to masked targets than simply recovery speed. That is one part of it, but another part is the magnetic field that your coil can generate in a piece of iron and reducing the sensitivity also reduces that halo, I believe. I have done some experimenting with reducing the sensitivity and have been amazed at how low I can go before a good target can no longer be detected. (I've also been amazed at how many detectorists I know have never done any testing on their machines!)

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, Iron Buzz...I've never been above 23 Nox or 85 T2. You make a good point, I'm going to try REALLY reducing the sens in a bed of nails.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run a 600 as well. I basically keep it in the middle (2) recovery speed all the time. I run 21 sensitivity mostly and swing at various speeds depending on environment. I also always use the horseshoe and if the iron is getting thick I slow down my swing and lower sensitivity as far as 12. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread