New Minelab Equinox Snake Skinz Wire Sleeves....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressed by how easy they are to install, well executed, but at $20 bucks a pop, I'll pass. If I am bushwhacking, I am usually using my Deus which is wireless (including the coil). Thanks for posting it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressed by how easy they are to install, well executed, but at $20 bucks a pop, I'll pass. If I am bushwhacking, I am usually using my Deus which is wireless (including the coil). Thanks for posting it.

I dont think these will hold up to bushwacking, twings and thorns will reek havoc...IMO, If you buy from ebay only 7 to 10 bucks..

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As a beach hunter, I see this as hindering proper cable maintenance...i.e. cleaning and applying silicon. Salt is hard on cables if not cleaned...eventually, the cable covering will harden and split. This Snake Skin cover I think would hold the salt against the cable at worst and at best, is time consuming to remove in order to perform proper maintenance. I admire imaginative mods and this is unique but I'll pass on this one.

Just the view from my salty foxhole...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look cool, but, in my experience, coil wire failure doesn't happen often in the middle somewhere. It's usually at one connector end or the other due to stress. I don't see these reducing the cable being yanked on. In brambles, thorns, and hedges, it might even snag worse. It'll be interesting to know after people use them for a while and we get some feedback.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is pretty though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is pretty though.

I guess that's really the point. Form over function. Not into spending money to trick out my machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Col Dan said, I would not use them on any detector you beach hunt with. You need to wash the cables if they are exposed to salt water or salt air and should be treated with silicone spray to preserve the cables.

Found-It

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice. I wash my cables, but never did put silicone spray.

Another great protector I use on any rubber and also put on the cable was "Gummi Pflege Stift"

This works extremely well on helping preserve the rubber so it doesn't get brittle or break.

It can be found at some auto stores. :)

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
IMO
itโ€™s just tricking out your machine like people do to their cars. Iโ€™m luck I only have fresh water and was thinking about adding it to my water detectors just for looks but at $20 a pop I doubt I ever will.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Col Dan said, I would not use them on any detector you beach hunt with. You need to wash the cables if they are exposed to salt water or salt air and should be treated with silicone spray to preserve the cables.

Thanks TH - just had to get kicked back into the reality that I really need to take better care of my toys.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thats what I was wondering about. Water and drying will accelerate rotting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I've had a coil wire go bad, with one exception that was bad out of the box once years ago. And I bushwhack.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a beach hunter, I see this as hindering proper cable maintenance...i.e. cleaning and applying silicon. Salt is hard on cables if not cleaned...eventually, the cable covering will harden and split. This Snake Skin cover I think would hold the salt against the cable at worst and at best, is time consuming to remove in order to perform proper maintenance. I admire imaginative mods and this is unique but I'll pass on this one.

Just the view from my salty foxhole...

Excellent point Dan

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck I have never bought any accessory for any detector including coil covers. If I damage it I send it in for repair. If I break it I buy a new one. Within 4 - 5 years there is a new latest and greatest detector on the market that is a must have and the old ones gather dust. The same goes for new shafts etc. I will buy a new detector before a new carbon fiber shaft.
To me it's like paying 60K for a new truck then buying aftermarket accessories.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen so many aftermarket add-on's for the Equinox over the past few weeks and most have multi-color choices.. charger covers, control box covers, cable stabilizers, cuffs, shafts.. coil cable skins. Do I need these things? Probably not.. Do I want some of these things? Of course. Only one thing is for certain.. it's evident that people absolutely love this machine. And that skin looks pretty cool.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck I have never bought any accessory for any detector including coil covers. If I damage it I send it in for repair. If I break it I buy a new one. Within 4 - 5 years there is a new latest and greatest detector on the market that is a must have and the old ones gather dust. The same goes for new shafts etc. I will buy a new detector before a new carbon fiber shaft.
To me it's like paying 60K for a new truck then buying aftermarket accessories.

True. I paid $900 for my Equinox and I feel that could turn into another $900 real quick. Additional coils are expensive enough and a good investment for possibly selling the machine off somewhere down the line. I don't have enough disposable income to justify paying over $100 for something like a carbon fiber shaft. I'd love to have one.. just don't feel like paying for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread