Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was hunting at the beach yesterday and did my usual "dial it in" routine...adjusting F2, Recovery and Sensitivity using my test sticks to optimize my EQX 800 performance for that particular beach.

As I hunted, I got a strong tone of a high conductor and started to dig and dig and dig. I couldn't see or find the target but I knew it was still there...somewhere...the EQX said it was!

I finally narrowed it down to a certain pile of sand from the ever growing hole. Still couldn't see it but it was there among the brown sand...somewhere. Finally resorted to my Pro-Find 35 pinpointer. It rang up nicely but I still couldn't see this high conductor! I started to test small hand fulls at a time and finally...finally I saw a minuscule piece of wire on the edge of my hand. Could this be what all the fuss was about? YES. I measured the depth of the hole with the Pro- Find 35 and saw that it was approximately 8 inches!

I brought the wire home specifically to post this story about the importance of adjusting your detector to meet the conditions. When we change beaches, I "dialed in" my EQX again for that new beach and had to change the settings from that first beach where my EQX sniffed out that piece of wire. Conditions change and so must your settings....one size DOES NOT FIT ALL.

Wire and Dime.jpg

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’ve dug so many really small pieces of wire even smaller than that. It just happens and you just have to deal with it.
The Nox is just that darn more sensitive and you will just find more and including junk..

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve dug so many really small pieces of wire even smaller than that. It just happens and you just have to deal with it.
The Nox is just that darn more sensitive and you will just find more and including junk..

Yes, I too have found smaller targets with the EQX...extremely small...as those who hunt for gold nuggets can attest. I just used this target as an example of the importance in setting your EQX up for the environment in which you're detecting. It just may help some who are new to the EQX to achieve success a little more quickly! :thumbsup:

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your questions - YES. I have run into the same situation.

Believe it or not, I actually found a sewing needle on the beach buried about 10" down. Like the needle in the haystack!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread