Equinox 800 versus Property Stake?

DavidDigs4Free

May 20, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday while I was hunting a Private Yard two guys stopped in a Pick Up Truck and ask if I hired out. I was like what, hired out for what? They said they were with a home construction company working just down the street and the saw me metal detecting and wondered if I could locate a property line stake for them. I've never done this before and have zero context as to what I was looking for but I agreed to try. They told me I was looking for a steel stake just under the sod along the curb in a general area about 10 ft. long. I put my Equinox 800 in Park 1 mode and All Metal. I had no idea how the end of a steel stake would come in, what target ID numbers it would register. I looked along the length of curb they were interested in and was not able to locate the steel stake. It is possible the stake was not there and had been removed, but like I said I have no real context to what I was looking for. For me it was a challenge and I wanted to help these men if I could.

Does anyone have any information or actual knowledge of what the end of a steel property stake target ID's as? Or what to look for or how to adjust the Equinox to best find the end of a steel stake.

I may have to confirm what a property stake is made of and what dimensions they are and make a test in my yard by pounding one in the ground and scanning it.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. And good Hunting!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few of those. Most are steel rebar pounded into the ground like a nail, or sunk into some concrete. Sometimes they're a brass tag (mostly they're ones in the front of the house in the sidewalk or curb. The steel/iron type ones usually read iron, but, not always. You mainly need to get in the right area and check every sound until you find it. Once you find one, it's usually easier to find the rest, especially if you have a copy of the plat map showing the dimensions of the lot. Bring a REAL long tape measure with you.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ones I find are also steel rebar. Get a peices of rusty rebar to test

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thing is with those rebar stakes as property markers, is they are small diameter plus driven straight down in the ground, on purpose. Whoever says you will KNOW when you are over one? It ain't true. They are very low tones, and short. Not a signal we all seek, on purpose.

MidTN

Aug 22, 2018
Mt Pleasant, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Patriot & Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My doctor ask me to find a stake on his property last week. I had some rebar at the house so I drove it in the ground, took my Nox 600 over the end and it was reading 15 on the VDI.

I found it about 30 minutes later about five feet behind the sidewalk. If there's a water meter box on the property that usually indicates where the right of way ends and the property owners property begins.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some for a guy, they locked on at -2 solid hit did not bounce. I set my machine to only detect in the iron range.

OP
OP
DavidDigs4Free

DavidDigs4Free

May 20, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you I really appreciate the help. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Property markers

Yesterday while I was hunting a Private Yard two guys stopped in a Pick Up Truck and ask if I hired out. I was like what, hired out for what? They said they were with a home construction company working just down the street and the saw me metal detecting and wondered if I could locate a property line stake for them. I've never done this before and have zero context as to what I was looking for but I agreed to try. They told me I was looking for a steel stake just under the sod along the curb in a general area about 10 ft. long. I put my Equinox 800 in Park 1 mode and All Metal. I had no idea how the end of a steel stake would come in, what target ID numbers it would register. I looked along the length of curb they were interested in and was not able to locate the steel stake. It is possible the stake was not there and had been removed, but like I said I have no real context to what I was looking for. For me it was a challenge and I wanted to help these men if I could.

Does anyone have any information or actual knowledge of what the end of a steel property stake target ID's as? Or what to look for or how to adjust the Equinox to best find the end of a steel stake.

I may have to confirm what a property stake is made of and what dimensions they are and make a test in my yard by pounding one in the ground and scanning it.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. And good Hunting!

I've been asked to find property markers and well heads. The property markers have been everything from re-bars to various iron & steel pipes. They do read differently and diameter condition (rust, etc.j and depth will have an affect on the reading so there's no one size fits all answer. Property markers along roads are usually (in my experience) set back from the road based on the road right of way which varies by road type. Example: one road had a 50 ft right of way and the “pin” was 25 ft from the road's center line into the property. Hope this helps. As one reply stated “you'll know it when you find it”.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you're in all metal mode and don't have any iron discrimination on. I surveyed for years and these are almost always rebar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread