South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took a tumble over a log and cleanly snapped my center shaft. Removed the piece and used a leprechaun sized detector for some upward slopes. Back at home inserted a 9/16” extended socket to mend and some gorilla tape. A bit wobbly now...

I would like to get one of those telescoping shafts as I do a fair bit of hiking to spots and would like to pack in my backpack. Any good deals out there?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont mind the wobbling and creeking noises teloscopic shaft does compact well, but I wouldn't swing it in tall grass either, I had one and sold it after 2 outings, its weak, noisy and was a waist of time and money... I would only recommend using it on mowed lawns if you can handle the noisy wobble..

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could consider a folding mechanism like “ fold and go” on eBay dans treasure products. Requires cutting section from middle shaft which might be possible depending on where your break is. Folds to about 25” and very fast to fold and unfold. Plenty strong and cost $50 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1590601759.185881.jpg

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have broken everything else besides my shaft you are the man. No seriously I would love having one of those shaft you’re talking about. I wish I would’ve got that instead of the Anderson

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide you want to go the "fold and go" route mentioned by relicmeister, but -- due to the location of the break in your shaft -- you can't make it work, feel free to let me know. I could get you an appropriate length of carbon-fiber tube to utilize...

Steve

Took a tumble over a log and cleanly snapped my center shaft. Removed the piece and used a leprechaun sized detector for some upward slopes. Back at home inserted a 9/16” extended socket to mend and some gorilla tape. A bit wobbly now...

I would like to get one of those telescoping shafts as I do a fair bit of hiking to spots and would like to pack in my backpack. Any good deals out there?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys Steves detector rods who makes the Carbon fiber shafts probobly skilled enough to craft one to your liking I would think it could be worth a try...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops didnt see your post Nice of you to offer help Ive heard alot of great feedback about your products

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was coming down a steep ridge a few years back and stepped on a loose rock, instinctively tried to use the detector to brace my fall and snapped the shaft so I feel your pain. Now with my 800 I collapse the detect-Ed carbon fiber shaft when hiking, works pretty well but accidents do happen 🤕

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the time I tried to make it out the door before it closed with my new Crowder 7 foot fishing rod...... Poof... 6 foot rod...

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the kind words, A2coins!

Steve

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: Decided to just buy a new center shaft. Could not find one online, seems they never need replacement. Ended up contacting my dealer who put me in touch with Minelab to buy the piece. Minelab just sent me a note that they are replacing it free under warranty. Wow, I wasn’t expecting that. Minelab’s warranty is incredible!

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a wooden dowl rod from any craft dept. cut it to length, for a more solid, yet light weight insert. Use the pre existing holes as drill points, and run a zip tye clean thru them on each end

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread