Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on going on a couple day backpacking trip to try and find some virgin soil. I have a USB port on my solar panel that provides 5 volts at 2.1 amps. I notice in the Equinox specifications, it says the battery will charge through USB at 5 volts, in 4 hours, at 1.7 volts. Anyone for sure if it would be safe to recharge my Nox with this panel?

That's 4 hours at 1.7 Amps. It's safe but will take forever because you will likely never get anywhere close to 1.7A out of that panel, much less 2.1A continuously except under ideal sunlight conditions. Plus how are you going to charge the detector during the day when you are swinging it? Your best bet is to get a 10000 mA-hr or higher capacity charge bank to recharge the Equinox and replenish the charge bank with the solar panel during the day on the trail or while you are detecting. BTW what is the wattage of the solar panel? If it is anything less than 15 Watts, you will be lucky to get anything close to 2A of continuous charge current out of it even under ideal solar conditions.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charging amperage is not too much more than recommended. I think the issue would be right as you reach full charge so just don't top it off completely if you are nervous about it. I agree with vferrari a charging bank would be easier, then use the solar cells to recharge that. Make sure to bring along the correct USB cables.

OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
28 watts

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/28-watt-foldable-solar-panel

The ideal conditions for sun are right now for the next couple days. I doubt the weather is going to stay in the steady 70's either much longer. So I guess I'm going without waiting on a charging bank. Maybe it will irk me off not having one, to actually seek one out. As long as I know I won't be frying my machine with the panel.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will work.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a decent panel. It will work, but again, you can only charge the Equinox during daylight so... Charge bank is the way to go and you can pick one up at any store that sells cell phones like Walmart, Best Buy or Target. Should run you only $20 to $30 max. Make sure you get one with at least 10000 mAhr of capacity and that sources 2.1A at 5 VDC. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread