Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know what the weak areas are on a 800?
? I used to run an at pro. I was nervous about dunking it too. So I went out to my shop and filled in every crevice with grease. It made the screen pretty nice too with the water beading off.

Only ML would know for sure, doubt if they'd let that info out as that would be an admission of a design defect.
From what I understand it appears likely water enters the control box via the buttons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab will never admit anything "wrong" in their design. Too many units sold. Just assume its not good in the water.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no ask how many people actually use theirs in the water with problems. You'd be surprised. My AT Pro also drowned on me after the warrenty was out they did repair it for free.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cuz called me today very excited, said his waterlogged nox 600 was replaced with an 800, and it was shipped to him before he even sent the old one out. He thinks it was the vendor [detector warehouse] and not ML responsible for this good deed.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice. Remember, the warranties expire working from the original sales date, not replacement date.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine held.....5 hours at 2-5 feet....I worry everytime I have it in snorkel mode. I just drop the machine to the bottom while I fan targets. Anything deeper than my chest/neck....its excal time. Still worries me after 1 failure. What I've found is if you start to say how unreliable this machine is for those of us that water hunt most of the time....well...people get upset and dont want to hear it ! The fact is that leaving it resting at depth on the bottom is risky. And please !!! Dont tell me about scoops and my hunting techniques. You can't use a scoop down hear so you must snorkel and fan sand....in order to fan sand you must put the machine down to work. You will never scoop a coin out of a coral rock pot hole. This machine should have been labeled as WATER RESISTANT not water proof !! That would not sell many machines though would it ?? I had a water resistant timex watch as a kid. It survived many trips to the pool....by the end of that summer and 20 + trips to the pool...it was full of water and dead !! So I restrict use of mine to 5 ft max....that's half of what its rated for ! I will say there service was great this last time and they got me back in the water quick...that being said I missed some opportunities and why should I have to miss out evertime the product fails ?? Let's hope it can hold up to light shallow water use....when I say light duty I dont mean babying it I just mean keeping limited to half its rated depth or less. It's a tool and its gonna get knocked around some....it should hold up...right ??

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think ahead a bit if you use yours underwater and try to decide what to do or what type or brand of machine you want next time after the warranties run out in the next few months and yours breaks. Same thing, the new AQ, something different? And with White's and Tesoro out of the market, it may take awhile to research it.

Is there a warranty on a repair made after the original warranty has expired? 30 days like most repairs on other items? I don't know.

Some days I wish I went in the water.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty sad, most of us bought the detector with the being waterproof the main selling point. I do believe that it is a lot better unit than the AT series on land and that is good but I wanted it to be good in the water too. Been too busy taking care of the wife from her surgery to be detecting plus my sites are all grown too tall from not being cut. the warranty thing is not so hot either. I thought when I finally bought a ML product that I was getting the quality with it that I had always heard of. guess not. and so the rats begin to jump ship LOL

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and so the rats begin to jump ship LOL

We are?? I bought my Equinox for $550 with my military discount. 2 years later and i have yet to see anything better at that price point and it still works awesome! If you know of something better for that price point, please post it up! I think they should change the listing to indicate it shouldn't be submerged and is only water resistant though. But heck, a Deus costs twice what i paid for my Equinox and isn't waterproof either and both are great detectors.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions