Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Toecutter
  • 4 Post By vferrari
  • 2 Post By Donut
  • 1 Post By Bayoutalker
  • 1 Post By vferrari

Thread: 600

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2007
    SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
    PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
    254 times
    wet dirt

new detectors are made skimpy and highly overpriced my E600 tapped a a rock and that caused the coil to snap off no new coil for me, i refuse to buy another coil for it thanks for poor quality from minelab
    if it wasn't for flashbacks. i would have no memory at all

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    5369 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I smack mine on rocks all the time, Minelab Equinox is a proven great machine, but you broke yours just "tapping" a rock and its not your fault at all so lets blame the manufacture...
    gunsil likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    7386 times
    First, you need to lay down the law and exert some discipline on your detector. Give it a stern talking to and tell it to stop tapping rocks or you will banish it to the closet. Some detectors just don't behave, sheesh.

If it was a weakened coil ear (known issue) ask for a warranty replacement. Equinox has a pretty good 3-year warranty and ML service has been good about honoring it. Get educated on your consumer rights (i.e., know your warranty - ALL Equinoxes are still under warranty BTW), run all avenues to ground and if you still get no joy, then come back and whine about it.
    Last edited by vferrari; Jun 30, 2020 at 09:31 PM.
    Toecutter, gunsil, Normsel and 1 others like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

us
    Jan 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
    263 times
    If you play golf with it , well Yea.! Just kidding.
    your coil is under warranty!.
    When you tighten the coil too tight the ears are bent to the breaking point. I’ll bet if anyone of you look at it right now they are bending, look close.
    ill re post this.
    This will get them straight.
    Ears
    If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
    If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
    If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
    Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
    It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
    Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
    Doug

Coloma, Michigan, South West lower Michigan.Just east of St,
    Joseph Mi, 12 miles

Equinox 800 11, 6 coil
    Steveís Carbon fiber shaft with counter weight.
    Xterra 70

us
    Sep 2012
    Highlands, TX
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher CZ-21
    241 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    If you play golf with it , well Yea.! Just kidding.
    your coil is under warranty!.
    When you tighten the coil too tight the ears are bent to the breaking point. Iíll bet if anyone of you look at it right now they are bending, look close.
    ill re post this.
    This will get them straight.
    Ears
    If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
    If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then itís too tight.
    If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
    Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
    It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
    Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
    Doug

I did the same thing with the milk jug. It just takes a few minutes.

I do agree with calling ML but be nice. You won't get very far by bad mouthing them.
    Donut likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30373 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'd call Minelab and see what you can do. After the warranty expires, I'd try another machine if or after it breaks out of warranty.

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Fisher f75 Teknetics Omega 8000 (Coming soon) Minelab Equinox 800 Have owned Minela b Safari and X terra 705
    1182 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Iíve seen coil ear reinforcing thingys sold on eBay if interested. I just try to avoid banging or putting pressure on or over tightening and havenít broken any since I broke the coil ears off my Omega 8000. Donít know why they make thin ears on any coil.

Feb 2007
    SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
    PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
    254 times
    wet dirt
    Both ears are still attached to the bolt i did not abuse this machine in any way
    if it wasn't for flashbacks. i would have no memory at all

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    7386 times
    Pursue it with minelab then. What are you waiting for? Nothing to lose unless you are looking for an excuse just to complain by doing nothing about it.
    Toecutter likes this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30373 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes, call Minelab. I'd bet its covered under warranty. I have never been able to break any of my other brand machines. I have tried. And I week whack with them a lot.

us
    Sep 2012
    Highlands, TX
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher CZ-21
    241 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    Both ears are still attached to the bolt i did not abuse this machine in any way
    Yes, the ears break off of the coil. They are being flexed with the bolt pulling them together. The part on the shaft is just a bit too narrow causing them to be in a bind. The extra thick washers make up the difference. Now, call ML.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    802 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Heck I had to send my 800 and 600 back to Minelab and they replaced both of them no questions asked. They even sent me a T-shirt because I had problems.

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Sponsored Links