Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS has a lot of good points also. I also am happy with the two machines I have and will probably not purchase another one in the future.

Some of the newer machines are better at target ID, but in a relic hunting situation, it really doesn't matter as they used so many metals its best to dig it all.

Of course, relic hunting is my specialty.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well soil will make a big difference, but here in IN the parks around here have been pounded for years and all the silver left is usually 10"+. With the right coil and detector in my soil I have dug many 10"+ silver dimes in a day, this is in the spring when the ground has plenty of moisture. I've probably found more silver deeper than 6" rather than less, of course it's IN soil which is pretty mild. I've found lots of newer coins less than 6" though. HH

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took me a long time to realize, soil is everything. The soil around where i live here in Minnesota, 7" average on most coin size objects is all you get (be it with my Whites, my Nox 600, my CZ, my AT Pro, all are about the same). Watching video's of guys down south dig coins at 12" with the same detector leads one to believe something is wrong, but it isn't. It's just the area you are in, not the detector. Never is.

I'm also in Minnesota (Twin Cities) and I have done a test a couple of times with a measured 6 inch dime (of course, this was with loosely re-packed soil as mentioned in other posts) and even the 15" coil and a low recovery speed, high sensitivity was not able to get anything more than a random chirp on occasion. My Deus performed similarly. So, yeah... 7" is pushing it.

I wonder if there is a lot of natural iron sand in the soil as a result of the glaciers sweeping through the Iron Range on their way down here.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can bank on vferrari's info. I will add only one thing that I experienced with my 800. After about 3 months owning the 800 I was feeling much like you. I didn't think it was all quite right and maybe something wrong. So I sent it back to Minelab with a note discussing my concerns. They did a full test on it and sent me the results back with the 800. Turns out it was working according to specs. This time period was only 3 months into my learning curve. My biggest mistake was asking other 800 users what settings they were using and then copying those settings. HUGE MISTAKE. You either just use the standard modes, noise cancel and ground balance and hunt. Or you really learn what all the settings are all about and how they should be applied to different hunt sites. That takes a long time, but that is the only way to know your machine. You see copying other peoples settings that they use for their hunt sites will likely not work on your hunt sites unless you are hunting together. You thus end up with a very much de-tuned detector that can hardly find a coin 1-2" below the surface. To learn how to use an Equinox read Clive Clynick's 3 books on the Equinox. All books are packed with Equinox specific info with no fluff filler crap to pad the page counts. They are worth every penny for the Nox user.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the technology of "depth" has changed all that much from the early 80's. .

Dead on, they haven't. My old CZ is actually a bit deeper then my Equinox. I buried a quarter at 10" and the Equinox wouldn't even make a peep. My CZ with the 10.5 inch coil would randomly hit on it, not enough that i probably would have dug it, but it would hit it on some of the swings over it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread