StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out today and the pinpoint function on my Equinox 600 was acting a little funky. Sometimes it worked normally, sometimes it would be dead silent, sometimes it would make the normal sounds but wouldnā€™t actually lock on to a Target despite there being a pretty good signal. I didnā€™t do a factory reset because I was leaving shortly and didnā€™t want to redo all my settings. I was just wondering if others have experienced this and it turned out their machine was going bad or was it just a temporary fluke?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your detector may have issues. I had my pinpoint go wild and not stop and had to send it back to Minelab replaced the control box

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If you turn the pinpointer on directly over a target it can actually null out over it or the volume of the pinpoinrer can be low.turn it off and back on away from the target and you should be fine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time, my 800 won't go into the pin point mode correctly on the first push of the button. I have to turn PP back off and then hit it again to make it work properly. From what I've heard from other owners, that seems to be a common quirk.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Try not turning it on over the target.

OP
OP
S

StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know. I actually do that on purpose sometimes when I think there are two targets near each other. Iā€™ll pinpoint a target, leave the coil over that target and turn the pinpoint mode off and then back on without moving the coil. That basically discriminates out that first target and Iā€™ll then move the coil around to see if it pinpoints a secondary target nearby.
I actually went back out today and the pinpoint mode was back to acting the way to Im used to. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not a sign of a failing unit!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That's why I almost never use a pinpoint mode on a modern detector. Just dig it and move on to the next target. I've got three pull tabs and a nickel and you are still swinging over the same target.

OP
OP
S

StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends, if itā€™s a shallow target in sand I totally agree. If itā€™s an iffy deep target in tough soil Iā€™ll use whatever I have in my bag of tricks to avoid wasting time digging trash.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Trash. Like a piece of gold that sounds like aluminum? Yea, I used to do the same thing.

Iffy deep targets are my favorite thing to dig and account for many many of my best finds. He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure.

Do you dig zincolns? I DO! I've got a 24K pendant that was "just another cruddy zincoln"...

GL & HH ALL

OP
OP
S

StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on my mood, how long itā€™s been since Iā€™ve dug a hole, the weather, how bad my hip is hurting, etc., etc. ��
I agree, many of my best finds were iffy signals. I do dig a lot of zincolns. But sometimes I pass up zincolns and iffy signals. Hey,I know I might be missing goodies but this is a hobby and not a job so to each his own.

Last edited:

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has been that way from the beginning , quite often all I do is take out of pinpoint and go back in it doesnā€™t do it all the time but quite often. And I know a lot of people would say send it in. Itā€™s like my Truck I donā€™t want someone messing with it if it ainā€™t broke

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread