sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach last night and as soon as I turned my relatively new Nox 800 on, it started chirping. Thought ti would stop after it acclimated to the wet sand, but it did not. Numbers jumping all over the place with no targets. Could sit the coil down and not move it and it would chirp and numbers from 7-29 with no target. Wiggled the strain relief at the coil and got chirp and numbers. Guess I will be mailing it back to Minelab repairs on Monday.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, call Minelab. That's the only recourse.

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a similar situation. When I'm on the beach near the pier, I noticed there was live video transmitting from the pier. The interference sounds just like what you are describing. Does it clear up when you move further away.
If this doesn't clear it up I would definitely contact minelab

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Did you look for a clear channel.
was your cell in airplane mode.
or a phones around you that someone has.
in some salt conditions the sensitivity may be to high.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does is chirp with the coil up in the air? How about at a lower sensitivity level? Noise cancel? Other locations the same problem?

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for all of the feed back. Beach was isolated, no power lines, commercial buildings, etc. I did have my iPhone in my back pocket, but have always had it there with no previous issues.. Chirping did continue when the coil was held up in the air. I think the wiggling of the strain relief at the coil and the sounds and numbers going crazy points to wiring at the coil. When I first walked down to the beach, the surf rolled over the coil, could be the cord seal at the coil failed. I saw a video by Gigmaster who had to send his back to Minelab for that very issue

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low tide is at 8:30 so I think I will head down and try some detecting with phone in airplane mode and turn sensitivity down, will let you know how it does. Cant ship back to minelab anyway until tomorrow.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So took my Nox 800 to a different beach this morning, took my Excal as a back up. I swing right handed, phone in left back pocket. Walked a quarter mile south swinging wet sand but not getting coil in the water, no chirping or false numbers, Turned around and headed back north with phone in airplane mode no difference, no affect. Put coil in the surf a few times heading back north, started to get a few chirps, turned sensitivity up a couple of notches, chirping went away. So, I think the other beach I was on was highly mineralized, I should have adjusted the sensitivity. I am concerned about wiggling the strain relief at the coil and making the numbers jump. Don't think I will send to Minelab yet, need to keep playing with it some more, lots of warranty time left for issues.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Usually lowering the sensitivity helps. I don’t understand why it went away why it would go away by turning it up.
if the coil wire is flopping it will chirp.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right to play with it some more before sending it in. Mineralization on that machine in the sand shouldn't make it go off like that however.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually lowering the sensitivity helps. I don’t understand why it went away why it would go away by turning it up.
if the coil wire is flopping it will chirp.

Sorry donut, turned the sensitivity down a couple of notches

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right to play with it some more before sending it in. Mineralization on that machine in the sand shouldn't make it go off like that however.

Yep, won't send it back yet, only had it a couple of months

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wiggling coil cable

Yep, won't send it back yet, only had it a couple of months

Depending on how you wiggle the coil cable near the coil you will be moving a metallic object near your coil much like when you move your coil near a metallic object when detecting and you will get readings on your detector. This is why the Nox comes with the velcro straps that inhibit coil cable movement near the coil.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
I agree a with Dirt Duke. If the wire nerve the coil is flopping or moving or the coil is bumping to much it can chirp.
also you said you turned down the sensitivity a couple notches , it may take more than a couple notches.
Also if your in a area that has a lot of EMI you might also try going to 10 khz single frequency.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree a with Dirt Duke. If the wire nerve the coil is flopping or moving or the coil is bumping to much it can chirp.
also you said you turned down the sensitivity a couple notches , it may take more than a couple notches.
Also if your in a area that has a lot of EMI you might also try going to 10 khz single frequency.

Will do, thx

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also be a tiny bit of metallic trash caught under the coil cover.
I'm always amazed at how much debris accumulates, particularly in the water.

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also be a tiny bit of metallic trash caught under the coil cover.
I'm always amazed at how much debris accumulates, particularly in the water.

True, the amount of sand from the beach that gets lodged under the coil cover is huge. Cover is a ***** to remove on the box 800, fairly easy on my excal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions