New Equinox update

jasonboise85

Mar 22, 2016
middlebury vt
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just updated my 600 today and tried it out for a little while. So far my pinpoint feature seems a little different (for the better) and also picking up deeper targets in places i have previously detected. My tid's are a little different than they were, but seems to be more stable.
I wish minelab would explain the details better too, but figured it would be worth a shot updating to the newest firmware.
Still alot of testing to be done, but so far so good for me. I figure if end up not liking it, I can always change it back.. its nice we all have that option.
I think that it will take some getting used to figure out the details and nuances of how this new version works for us, as we are are familiar with the firmware we have been using. Nothing like learning the same machine again for the third time! But it dont think it will be too hard. I guess time will tell if we all like it or not. Hopefully it will unlock some better treasures for us all!!
Happy hunting

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I installed it and took it out for a test run and I will say that it seems to have quieted the machine down *considerably*. None of that random (non-EMI) chatter, even at sensitivity of 25. I'm happy, so far at least.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 600 was always using 5 frequencies in multi. It's just the 20khz and 40 khz single frequencies that the 600 didn't have. My understanding is that the new 4khz is just an additional single frequency, and not added to multi as a 6th..

How reliable is your source for that information? That's a pretty big (IMO) detail for them to leave us guessing on. It seems to me that 4kHz added into the multi mix could be an excellent addition.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've installed V 3 on my 800. I'll use it on Cocoa Beach this evening and report back. 8-)

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
The 600 was always using 5 frequencies in multi. It's just the 20khz and 40 khz single frequencies that the 600 didn't have. My understanding is that the new 4khz is just an additional single frequency, and not added to multi as a 6th..
Looking at the youtube test it looks like the 4khz is only added to single frequency and not the multi but I may be wring.
4khz seemed to be mich more stable and quieter than 5khz. and multi.
Minelab is terrible on explain to us on what they are doing when they put out an update. They are lacking in public relations.
We had this same confusion with the F2 update.
Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the youtube test it looks like the 4khz is only added to single frequency and not the multi but I may be wring.
4khz seemed to be mich more stable and quieter than 5khz. and multi.
Minelab is terrible on explain to us on what they are doing when they put out an update. They are lacking in public relations.
We had this same confusion with the F2 update.
Doug
He tests each frequency alone but how do we know if it is added to the multi? Only ML knows I guess.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
He tests each frequency alone but how do we know if it is added to the multi? Only ML knows I guess.
I’m not sure but I don’t think so because when he had it in multi it wasn’t hitting on it as well but I may be wrong. I think it was just added to single freq.
Doug

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish Minelab would explain their upgrades better so we don’t have all the confusions.
And dose it do anything else in the update. It says for Asia so do we need to do the update on other parts of the world.

Minelab has NEVER given good explanations of the internal workings of their machines. Most of us gave up worrying and just enjoy the fact they outperform everything else, however they do it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I wanna know is what are the large deep objects in Asia

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not sure but I don’t think so because when he had it in multi it wasn’t hitting on it as well but I may be wrong. I think it was just added to single freq.
Doug
I just wonder if the other frequencies are causing it to sound that way. I normally hunt in multi so it would be nice if it did give a bit better depth there too.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sewer plates

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Toasted, that's what I was thinking??????? So, I just did the download, it worked and the equinox came back on. If it wasn't so hot, I would run out and try it. Perhaps tonight...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How reliable is your source for that information? That's a pretty big (IMO) detail for them to leave us guessing on. It seems to me that 4kHz added into the multi mix could be an excellent addition.

It says right there in the ad that the other single and multi frequencies are not effected by the new version. I installed the upgrade yesterday and gave it a short test drive. Much more testing needs to be done before drawing any conclusions, but, in my short hunt, I found it to be more stable at any given sensitivity, and the I.d. number didn't jump around as much. That's an improvement in my book even if nothing else is improved. More info as I continue to use it.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New version improves the wow and flutter on the capstan drive for the 8-track module.......

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can confirm that 4 kHz is available as a single frequency on the Equinox 600.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1595792501.306660.jpg

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I installed 3.0 on my 600 and ran it in my yard and test garden today. Maybe the feds have upped their EMI since the last time I ran but I could not get multi-freq stable at 23 sens like I used to in 2.x. It does quiet down at around 20 but I was surprised how many times I ran the noise cancel it still came up with the same chattery number. I can confirm that 4 khz works well - and was very stable surprisingly considering my Deus hates 4 khz in my yard.

Park 2 is still a killer in the iron and I am getting good depth with Field 1 as before - so I guess that's good news. I just have to figure out what the deal is with the chatter now in multi.

Otherwise I did not notice anything 'new' when I scanned quickly through all the settings but I admittedly haven't read the new manual yet either! lol

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I installed 3.0 on my 600 and ran it in my yard and test garden today. Maybe the feds have upped their EMI since the last time I ran but I could not get multi-freq stable at 23 sens like I used to in 2.x. It does quiet down at around 20 but I was surprised how many times I ran the noise cancel it still came up with the same chattery number. I can confirm that 4 khz works well - and was very stable surprisingly considering my Deus hates 4 khz in my yard.

Park 2 is still a killer in the iron and I am getting good depth with Field 1 as before - so I guess that's good news. I just have to figure out what the deal is with the chatter now in multi.

Otherwise I did not notice anything 'new' when I scanned quickly through all the settings but I admittedly haven't read the new manual yet either! lol

Odd... that sounds like the exact opposite of my initial experience with it. Mine seemed MUCH quieter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread