Latest Beach Finds - August 2020

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so it's not a silver coin (I wish it was), but here are my latest beach finds.

Due to weather (Hurricane) and work, I was not able to go out but a couple of times.

I did the 800 update before I went to the beach and I have a question. Normally, a nickel would be in the mid 20's. Dimes in the 24-25 range. Quarters 29 to 30, and pennies are 17 to 19. However, after the update, nickels hardly even register. The only nickel I found was with a dime, which was in the 24 to 26 range. Usually, I find as many nickels as dimes, but this time I only found one. Even when I put the nickel back down on the sand and ran the detector over it, most of the time it did not register. Has anyone else had issues with the update changing your signals or not reading items?

The watch was a solid 20. It had not been in the sand long as it was running (correct time) and does not have pitting. I looked it up and the watch new is about $110 USD.

The wedding band also come in at a solid 20 (again, I looked it up and it's worth about $150 and looks new). The silver ear ring was between 18 and 20, bouncing around. The other two rings were also in the 19 to 20 range

What drives me crazy is screw off beer bottle caps (Michelob especially) also come in at a solid 20, so you have dig those. I know that regular bottle caps and pull tabs are usually 13 to 15, but these screw off caps are driving me crazy. Plus, buried beer cans also come in between 20 and 22.

Anyway, I was happy with he three rings and the watch.

IMG_9944.JPG IMG_9943.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your numbers are way different than what my Nox 800 displays on nickels. I'm assuming that you are in multi and not a single frequency. Nickels around here ring in at a solid 13, with an occasional 12. Zincs are 20-21 if not overly corroded. Corroded ones can read all the way down in single digits. Copper cents are usually 24-8 depending on corrosion, Clad dimes are 24-5 usually, Quarters are mostly 29-30. Screw tops are typically 22-3 on my machine unless they're the bigger ones which can sometimes read a quarter. With the latest software and Iron bias set on F2 @5 or higher, I don't dig much in the way of bottle caps. You may want to re-install the latest software after a factory reset and see if that helps. If you know a local that has a Nox, try talking them into comparing signals to see if your machine is working properly. You didn't mention which mode you were using either, or, if you had the horseshoe turned on, or, your other settings, so, there could be something there that you missed too.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach 1 for the dry sand and Beach 2 for the wet sand. Ground Balance 0. Noise Cancellation, depending on where I was, from 0 to -4. Multi Signal

Other than pennies and nickels we are hitting about the same numbers.

Horseshoe was on and off depending on where I was searching

The most confusing thing is the nickels!!??

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah something is amiss for you before and after the update with those nickel TIDs which make no sense. And if you are now having trouble hearing nickels at all that may affect your ability to find gold jewelry. No good. You can try rolling back to a previous version of the SW, say 2.0, and then reinstalling 3.0 to see if that helps.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah something is amiss for you before and after the update with those nickel TIDs which make no sense. And if you are now having trouble hearing nickels at all that may affect your ability to find gold jewelry. No good. You can try rolling back to a previous version of the SW, say 2.0, and then reinstalling 3.0 to see if that helps.

How do I roll back the updated? Are there instructions somewhere that tell how to do this?

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I roll back the updated? Are there instructions somewhere that tell how to do this?

Thanks

When you run the update utility there are three little dots in the lower right of the screen. If you click on those it gives you additional options including the ability to roll back.

In addition to the actual software update utility, you can also download an instructional PDF on how to run the update on this page: https://www.minelab.com/equinox-software-update-3-0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread