XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
Good luck with the new coil!
The 15" bring me the smalles gold piece with Nox, stud earring back 14K:)

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impressions of 15" coil
-It's heavy (ish) , well noticably heavier than the 11"
- Pin-pointing has to be relearned as it is anything but simple.
- Coverage helps
- For some reason i can't enable the Iron Bias upgrades in Field 2 (my normal setting) FE and F2 won't go live, they do with park but not Field. Strange.

Anyway is gonna take a few outings to really get a feel for it... Haven't yet noticed any depth gains nor anything to 'write home' about, but it's early days ....

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First impressions of 15" coil
-It's heavy (ish) , well noticably heavier than the 11"
- Pin-pointing has to be relearned as it is anything but simple.
- Coverage helps
- For some reason i can't enable the Iron Bias upgrades in Field 2 (my normal setting) FE and F2 won't go live, they do with park but not Field. Strange.

Anyway is gonna take a few outings to really get a feel for it... Haven't yet noticed any depth gains nor anything to 'write home' about, but it's early days ....

Iron bias can’t be accessed if the detector is in single frequency, so make sure that isn’t the issue with your field mode inability to set iron bias.

When you find someone who puts out a an accessory coil that is larger but weighs less than the same manufacturer’s smaller coil, let me know. I would love to see that. ;)

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks

Just received my new 15" coil today... Hooked up and ready to roll.
I am hoping this rekindles my passion for the Nox, as we have had a patchy relationship so far....:love1:

Fingers crossed, a nice quiet riverbed (creek type thingy) with high rock faces either side....

AD

be prepared to be dissapointed

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron bias can’t be accessed if the detector is in single frequency, so make sure that isn’t the issue with your field mode inability to set iron bias.

When you find someone who puts out a an accessory coil that is larger but weighs less than the same manufacturer’s smaller coil, let me know. I would love to see that. ;)

So Iron Bias settings won't work in Field modes, with 15" coil in Multi Frequency.... Am a good few hundred hours into my journey with the Nox... maybe not as many as some , but enough to know when something isn't right.
Will be in touch with ML customer services.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Iron Bias settings won't work in Field modes, with 15" coil in Multi Frequency.... Am a good few hundred hours into my journey with the Nox... maybe not as many as some , but enough to know when something isn't right.
Will be in touch with ML customer services.

To be clear, iron bias does not work in any mode while in single frequency.

The coil should have no effect on your ability to access iron bias settings in any mode while in multi. If you are having consistent issues accessing iron bias in the Field modes while in multi, it should manifest itself regardless of whatever coil you have connected. Especially if you just did an update, I would do a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue. If not then definitely get in touch with ML support.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Factory reset enabled the Iron Bias settings to function as normal, on 15" coil.. Thanks :notworthy:

However i swapped back to 11" coil for a river search, and the Iron bias F2 and FE settings will not function on Beach modes... Weird... yes in Multi FQ...:icon_scratch:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach is multi only, so iron bias should always be accessible. Weird unless you are not holding down the button in recovery speed mode long enough to access IB. Good luck you are running into a lot of UI challenges for some reason.

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, it seems like i have a slightly defective machine...
Am sitting tight with what i have for the next year or so, and hoping that XP bring something new to the game...in next couple of years

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, it seems like i have a slightly defective machine...
Am sitting tight with what i have for the next year or so, and hoping that XP bring something new to the game...in next couple of years

Got it. That answers the question I suggestion I had gor you in the other thread. You seem to be frustrated from the get go with Equinox, so even if you have a defective machine getting a different model/brand might relieve the frustration. XP is overdue to release something to replace Deus as their flagship detector. Haven't heard anything confirming an imminent new release but the timing seems right. I like my Deus. Might be worth waiting for...

OP
OP
AstralDruid

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have continued with the 15" coil, the glitches have been overcome, at last.
I have however noticed nothing in performance improvements with the big coil. About 20 hours with it now and have no idea what benefit it is bringing, except slightly larger ground coverage, depth has not improved in any noticable way, and pin pointing is a pain. I have however noticed the considerable difference in balance and weight causing hunts to be somewhat shorter.

My advice, at 240€ , expensive for an extra bit of ground coverage, totally changed VDI numbers, insane pinpointing and very little else, except swing fatigue.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have continued with the 15" coil, the glitches have been overcome, at last.
I have however noticed nothing in performance improvements with the big coil. About 20 hours with it now and have no idea what benefit it is bringing, except slightly larger ground coverage, depth has not improved in any noticable way, and pin pointing is a pain. I have however noticed the considerable difference in balance and weight causing hunts to be somewhat shorter.

My advice, at 240€ , expensive for an extra bit of ground coverage, totally changed VDI numbers, insane pinpointing and very little else, except swing fatigue.

Yep, it's a 12x15" coil which means you are going to gain perhaps a fraction of inch to an inch of additional depth under ideal conditions vs. the 11" round, so yeah, you are paying for the extra 4" of swing coverage per sweep. That's about it. I have pretty much concluded that the Equinox is very optimized for that 11" coil, has great separation, and hits tiny micro targets well. That leaves little that either the small or large coil can bring to the table other than getting into tight spots with the former (and a little less noise in trashy situations with less targets and ground seen by the coil) and swing coverage with the latter. Not a very high performance to cost ratio in either proposition unless you have no other choice because you want to do something with the Equinox that the 11" coil can't handle (i.e., tight spot detecting).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread