Equinox 600 on its way, has the leaking issue been fixed

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I ordered a 600 the other day, and its supposed to arrive tomorrow, Friday, just in time for the weekend. I primarily bought it for a water detector, I own an etrac and have used it for years, love that machine. I won't be doing any water hunting until next year, but after I placed my order, I saw some videos of folks displays taking on water. Has the issue for the leaking been pinpointed? I saw a couple of videos where underneath the handle, a couple of guys filled up with silicone. I was told by the vendor after placing the order it was because people weren't putting the cap back on the headphone jack or not seating the headphone jack correctly.

I dont want to have to send it off and would like to know if anyone has figured out a fix, or if minelab fixed it already. Thanks for any info you can provide. I understand some never have an issue, but with my luck, I will be one that will if it hasn't been resolved.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of no fixes, however, that being said, Minelab wouldn't publish anything about a wide ranging fix, so it's impossible to tell.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with Smokey. I consider my 800 as water resistant vs water proof. Too many reports of water intrusion.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,
SO after having the NOX 800 for a little bit now I think I can chime in here. The NOX 800 has a wax paper seal in the handle it's there incase the battery swells or explodes there needs to a weak point for the gases to escape. That point is in the handle and I think most water issues are from a difference in pressure and that little wax paper seal or what ever it is can't handle it. There is a video on the tube showing this, A little silicone over that should stop all water intrusions.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I suppose you have a couple real world choices. It is NOT a true WATERPROOF machine. It will work, for awhile, underwater. BUT...ask Calabash Digger how many he has gone through. It has a three year warranty and Minelab has good customer service and will switch out the head if its leaks. They don't actually "repair" them, they replace components. Which gives you some options, you can return it now and use or get something else for underwater or keep it for a land machine or use it underwater and assume in three years you will have to buy something else when the warranty runs out. I don't think its cost effective to repair machines much these day if out of warranty. Most machines today are essentially throw away machines (most of them), and as technology moves forward, it is possible three years from now something way better will be available.

If you open the machine and put silicone in it and it breaks within the three year warranty period the manufacturer will not honor the warranty. If you keep it, when it turns 3, or its replacement turns 3, THEN I might be tempted to put the silicone in it.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marjam, you bought a great metal detector, that’s a fact. Unfortunately you, I and a lot of others were duped into thinking we were buying a water proof detector down to 10 ft. Minelab claims only 1 % of the equinox’s have had leaking issues but you have to take into account how many equinox’s actually touch water at all. Mine hasn’t, I’m real nervous about dipping my control pod, with that being said I still don’t regret buying my 800 because on land it’s a beast.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask me and many other people our Equinox they don’t leak. If everyone of them were bad so many people would complain and sales would stop

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Nox 600, I use mine for land, dry sand, wetsand, and the shallow surf. Now for anything over my knees for beach water hunting ,I still use my Sand Shark. I get hit by a wave and she go's under she can take it.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having just gotten my replacement 600 after drowning my first, I can say they are waterproof at first. It lasted about sixteen - twenty outings in the water. Mine is decrepit for only being two years old. The cam locks are shot and the shaft is a few sweeps from falling apart. The shaft balance is really poor as well. That being said its better (for me ) than most anything on the market rt now for that shallow salt water then straight to the farm field cheap-ish niche. I look at it from the perspective of "did the machine pay for itself/earn its keep before needing repair." Mine generated more than its price tag in finds, but it was too close for comfort. I borrowed a friends machine for my most recent two gold ring day because mine was in the shop n conditions were too good to miss. I'm trying to keep the new head where i can read the screen while its underwater but that will probably cost me the gold.
I need to look into this sealing angle. If that will keep it from drowning I'll do what I have to. A voided warranty that doesn't need to go to the shop sounds great especially since I have until July on this one. Meantime I am hoping I can repair my excalibur because I know that machine and its capabilities and I've reached the conclusion it is irreplaceable for the type of hunting I like to do. I'm still a little sour at minelab since they talked me into a "b stock" coil to " save a few bucks" three years ago and the wires immediately delaminated rendering it useless. I must say they were quick and courteous on replacing the 600 brain. Now I just need to get the shaft replaced/ repaired. I was hoping the equinox could do what I need it to do but apparently it will not without killing it. The excalibur is a beast but its achilles heel is the wire sheathing which degrades rapidly in UV. It makes me sad that there are geniuses among us who can retrofit the machine better than the original design but in twenty plus years minelab hasn't upgraded the excalibur and the price has actually increased. Having my machines laid up more often than not has cost me a lot of frustration and finds. I am an equal opportunity detector destroyer. have a garrett at pro that lasted an illustrious twelve outings, went for repair (big $) and still doesn't work right so I don't do Garrett anymore. I bought it as a stop gap waiting for the excal repair. I called it my lucky detector because it found me 5 gold rings in parks, street tearouts and places I never dig gold rings. I am not too tender with my detector but my gf is probably jealous that I'll bathe them and tuck them in after they find me some treasure. If I could take the deus swimming I'd be set.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys made me paranoid now. I take mine to Florida every summer and of course get her wet. No issues yet, knock on wood.

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for the information. Has anyone tried just going around the bottom of the handle with silicone, instead of filling up the bottom where the wax paper seal is? I dont know if it would seal properly or not doing it this way, but then if you had to send it in for warranty, you would just have to scrape the silicone off the sides.

On a good note, I took it out this weekend and dug 40 clad coins with it and a 1946 silver rosie. I am not saying its better than my etrac, but it found signals that I had went over with my etrac, and due to its fast recovery, I was able to pick out some more coins where I didn't think there were any left. It has its advantages over the etrac, and weight is one of them, coupled with fast recovery. I still don't know it well enough, thats going to take some time, but its a fine machine. 20201018_142553.jpg

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be honest. I find it more disturbing that they consider batteries blowing up as more of a threat than water intrusion, and decided to bolster the former more than the latter.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my 800 replaced three times for water love the machine but hate the leaking

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
3 times and Minelab is ok with this. I really would like to get an Equinox but I don’t see or hear Minelab doing anything yet to fix this on going water deficiency.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound, with the latest software update on what you already have, there is no real reason to get one unless you just want another machine.

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 times and Minelab is ok with this. I really would like to get an Equinox but I don’t see or hear Minelab doing anything yet to fix this on going water deficiency.

I guess they keep telling me the time to find the problem but I have yet to test the new one they gave me I’m going to try it this weekend

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Irishgoldhound, with the latest software update on what you already have, there is no real reason to get one unless you just want another machine.

At first I had my heart set on an Equinox but after all the great reviews of the Orx and Deus I opted for an Xp instead. I have an At pro also but still I have always wanted a Minelab from day one. Maybe I’ll just wait for the Equinox 1000 to be better lol. What is the latest update? Is it for the Orx too or just the Deus?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread