Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mineralized soil contains high amounts of magnetite and/or other iron oxides. Basically the black stuff you see that attaches itself to a magnet when you drag it through dirt.

High levels of mineralization affect ground phase readings and also attenuate (weaken) the magnetic field that is put into the ground by the coil and because of that, limits detection depth.
High ground phase readings can be indicative of mineralization but other things in the soil can affect the ground phase besides mineralization so ground phase cannot really tell you that the soil is mineralized.

The only way to tell the level of soil mineralization is to use a mineralization meter. Many First Texas detectors, the XP Deus, and even the Nokta Simplex+ have mineralization level meters. High or variable levels of mineralization can cause large swings in ground phase which can be mitigated by using a detector with tracking ground balance to detect changes in mineralization and rebalance automatically on the fly.

The Equinox senses mineralization changes and rebalances in tracking mode, but does not explicitly display mineralization level. The Equinox measured ground phase number can vary depenending on selected mode for a given spot and that is why you need to ground balance separately for each mode and is also the reason the Equinox displayed ground phase number tells you absolutely nothing about the level of mineralization at your site. In other words, a high ground phase reading on the Nox does not necessarily mean the ground is highly mineralized.

To mitigate the effects of mineralization on detection depth loss and excessive ground noise with vlf machines - use tracking GB or rebalance frequently, try to use smaller coils that don't see as much ground, minimize the output power of the transmit coil, if possible, and use lower frequencies that are attenuated less by the ground. If possible, use a PI detector which is generally unaffected by mineralization due to the different principle it uses to detect metallic targets.

HTH

I know what mineralization is, but what I don't know is what is considered "high" vs. "low". I do have a Deus. The default manual setting on the Deus is 90... is that considered neutral, and numbers significantly above that is high mineralization, below that is low?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what mineralization is, but what I don't know is what is considered "high" vs. "low". I do have a Deus. The default manual setting on the Deus is 90... is that considered neutral, and numbers significantly above that is high mineralization, below that is low?

No, the GB number really tells you nothing about how mineralized your soil is. The reason being is that GB setting implementation on detectors uses an arbitrary reference number to enable users to properly set their ground balance and what ground balance is different on a Deus than what it is on a multifrequency machine like the Equinox. In fact, on Equinox you will get a different ground balance reference number depending on what mode you do your ground balance in (on Equinox each mode is ground balanced separately if you use it at your site). On the Deus there is a vertical bargraph all the way to the right of the main screen. It doesn't have units, but you can get a relative sense of the degree of mineralization at your site by watching the maximum height the bargraph peaks at while swinging (the coil has to be be moving to get an accurate meter reading). If you see nothing to a 1/4 scale max, that is mild soil. 1/4 to 1/2 height, that is moderate mineraliztion, and anything that consistently hangs out above 1/2 and peaks out is severe, high mineralization.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The room is cleared and in silence"
:0)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread