Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently at the beach on the gulf coast, Seaside FL
Have had great luck here in this coast in the past
After hurricane Zera went ashore last night we have been having massive waves all night and today with blowing sand exposing new sand
So I decided to give my detector a work out.
Several dollars of coins popped up rather quickly plus some other trash
Then I hit a single of 24 tone and found a dime
In the same hole deeper down I had a strong 21 tone and pulled up an IPhone 10. The glass was cracked on the front of the phone. The phone was in a clear plastic case. When I turned the phone over I could see a twenty and a five dollar bill through the case
I was excited and it was a great find!
When I got back in to my condo I took the case off and there was $57 in money!!
I gently cleaned the sand out of the phone7
By chance I decided to plug the phone in and see if it actually worked. The battery was dead but was taking a charge It finally turned on and accepted a full charge. But I still just hard A locked phone
I then started reading and confirmed there was no way I could get access to this phone and it was basically useless to me.
However, In looking at the phone in the upper left corner their were two names. I had originally thought it was part of the desktop image or the case name. However looking closely I realized it might be a persons name, I checked Facebook, Twitter and then finally Instagram and found the name. Then when looking at some of her images I saw where she had been in this areas in early October.
Long story short I was able to contact the girl, who is in high school,and she was thrilled. She lost the phone on October 11th so it had been through to major storms.
She was nice and I told her I would return the phone and money. She said for me to use some of the money for postage and then just keep the rest of the money
Since it is not the right thing to do to keep the money, I am going to return the phone and send her all of her money back. It is just the right thing to do
Disappointed but the right thing to do. I would want someone to do this for me if the situation was reversed
Comments and thoughts

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Send the phone, keep the money with no regrets.
You have her permission and now you have mine.

Four times you mentioned its the right thing to do, like you are trying to convince yourself.
You worked and spent your time and effort to find and contact her where many wouldn't have done that, she appreciated it so accept the reward...I sure would.
Then again, I am a pirate.

As always, all life lessons can be learned from The Godfather...

Attachments

• photostudio_1604052251127.jpg
    photostudio_1604052251127.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done, sir!
dts

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Return the phone and the money...good karma will result and it is the right thing to do!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Maybe she’ll give you some or all of the money for returning her phone. She’ll be grateful just for getting her phone back. Probably has pictures on there that she’ll be happy to have back.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saanich, first, good on you! Second, keep $1, send everything else back. Carry that dollar every time you detect and good karma will follow you! Honorable Mention Vote from me! :hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on the right track. Take out for shipping and send it. That phone looks trashed with that broken screen. Good deeds give people faith in others. Pass it along with no regrets.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love Terry's suggestion of keeping $1.00 as a reminder and for good karma.
You're doing a good thing, Saanich.

Reminds me of a time I found a cell phone in Delaware along the beach (without a detector, had just washed ashore). I was able to get it to turn on, and since it was an older model it didn't "lock", so I could call the last number dialed. It was the owner's mom, and she helped me connect with her son, who had lost the phone a few days prior while swimming. I met up with the kid and gave him his phone back. He literally didn't even say thank you. Oh well, I still did the right thing - and that's what counts.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saanich, first, good on you! Second, keep $1, send everything else back. Carry that dollar every time you detect and good karma will follow you! Honorable Mention Vote from me! :hello2:

Great idea

On a separate note, on Friday evening just as I ready to quit for the night, I found a pair of prescription eye glasses. They were only an inch or two in the sand.

The next day I was out on the same beach and a man came up to me and asked if by chance I had found a pair of glasses. Sure enough they were his glasses.

So two good deeds in one week!!!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, here are most of my "finds". The next day I found a few more dollars of in coins, a pair of glasses and a set of car keys! IMG_0233.jpg

Overall a lot of fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions