Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I dug this Mercury Dime this morning, but I’m not writing to share the find itself. I’m posting to ask others about their experience detecting these small silver targets with the Eq.

I was detecting at a local park that has produced about 8 other silver coins over the last year. I was using Park 1, with 50 tones enabled. I noise cancelled about an hour before I found the dime, and was able to run sensitivity at 20 with no noise.

I have adjusted the iron bias to use the F2 setting and had it at 5 to knock out some of the iron I was finding. I had recovery speed at 5 also and I was swinging slowly.

Earlier in the day I dug an old bent nail that had both negative and high 20’s tones and VDI’s.
This dime had similar behavior: it had somewhat consistent 30’s (32,33,34,35) from multiple directions but also had negatives mixed in. This is what I call “scratchy”.
I dug it anyway but honestly expected it to be another bent nail. It was still in the hole after flipping the plug, and even though the 30’s signal was stronger with some dirt removed there were still a few negatives mixed in. My expectations were low and I was surprised to see the silver dime.
I rechecked the hole and there were zero signals on all-metal mode (there was not an extra iron nail or similar target with the silver coin).

So my question for the experts is: are there settings that can be changed to help to “clean up” scratchy signals like this one?
I now worry that I’ve skipped some possibly good targets.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1604429295.546653.jpg

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m no expert, but the negatives mixed in tells me there was something ferrous in the hole with it, don’t think you need to worry about missed silver too much, dig all the 30’s, scratchy or not. Congrats on the merc

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are doing everything right, the target might be on edge, and with iron in same hole - that explains your "problem"...!
Congrats on that OLD silver....well, its FOUR YEARS "older" than ME...!

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How deep was it? Sometimes deep targets on the edge of detection depth or coins on edge can cause scratchy signals. Could just be a small area of mineralized soil giving feedback in the form of negative numbers.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How deep was it? Sometimes deep targets on the edge of detection depth or coins on edge can cause scratchy signals. Could just be a small area of mineralized soil giving feedback in the form of negative numbers.
Thanks 67GTA. (cool car by the way)
It was pretty deep, 6-8 inches, so yes - it could have been on the edge of detection range or on its edge in the ground. I feel like that's the thing I'm worried about, and I'm wondering if adjusting recovery speed or iron bias would affect the quality of these sorts of signals.

- Brian

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too much iron bias, or too fast a recovery speed will definitely cause you to miss targets depending on the ground you are hunting. Heavy iron situations will keep you from getting depth so a faster recovery speed is best. Clean ground lets you lower the recovery speed and gain depth. I think park 1 defaults to recovery 6. In cleaner ground dropping that to 5 or even 4 will gain you an inch or two. That dime may have been a clearer signal. It is best to try and run iron bias at 0 or as low as possible. Once you get above F2 @ 3 it can start to limit your depth, or try and call a good target iron.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a recovery speed at 5 would be my guess to why it was scratchy. If you're in a good area for silver coins and you even get a decent hit it's always best to dig. There's only one way to know for sure!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
That would have been a good time to have switched to 4khz just for that signal/ hole.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everybody for the input.
67GTA, I’ll try lowering the iron bias.
Bart, should increase the recovery speed? My understanding is that higher recovery speed helps with separating good from bad, at the cost of some depth.
Donut, I’ve been playing with changing frequencies but didn’t in this situation. I will experiment more.

I think there are probably a few more good targets at this location (I’ve found 8 silver coins already), so I’m going to take my GoPro on future hunts and try to catch video of a live dig of a signal like this.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multifrequency and fast recovery speed can make them sound scratchy. If theres any good repeatable tone in there I dig. The more i dig the less I trust the numbers. I just go by ear with most machines and check the numbers when I am getting too many cents lol.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when you get a good target turn a quarter of a circle and recheck the target. If it's good in different directions then it should be a good target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions