relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck. For first times out stay away from areas that are really trashy and stick to presets for the most part. I have two 600’s one for stock coil and one for 6” coil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, stick to the presets for awhile. Tweaking it now will only curl your hair. Wait till you get to know the machine first.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing to keep in mind when you start using it is the recovery speed between targets with the Nox is going to be A LOT different than the older Whites machines. I've seen it first hand drive people nuts because they have used the older machines for 20-30 years and their brains just can't keep up with the difference/speed in target information. You can swing over 20 targets in a trashy spot with one swing with the Nox and hear every one of them, where the XLT will null out half of them because the processor can't reset fast enough to audibly report them. There are tons of youtube videos on the subject.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind when you start using it is the recovery speed between targets with the Nox is going to be A LOT different than the older Whites machines. I've seen it first hand drive people nuts because they have used the older machines for 20-30 years and their brains just can't keep up with the difference/speed in target information. You can swing over 20 targets in a trashy spot with one swing with the Nox and hear every one of them, where the XLT will null out half of them because the processor can't reset fast enough to audibly report them. There are tons of youtube videos on the subject.

The Nox won't hear all of those if you are in discrimination. :icon_thumleft:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox won't hear all of those if you are in discrimination. :icon_thumleft:

It most certainly will if all the items in the ground are non ferrous. The recovery speed of the Nox is one of it's best features. If you discriminate out aluminum pull tabs you also discriminate out gold jewelry. Even larger iron will not be discriminated out when you have the iron range discriminated out, and the Nox is fairly easily fooled by some rusty nails.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It most certainly will if all the items in the ground are non ferrous. The recovery speed of the Nox is one of it's best features. If you discriminate out aluminum pull tabs you also discriminate out gold jewelry. Even larger iron will not be discriminated out when you have the iron range discriminated out, and the Nox is fairly easily fooled by some rusty nails.[/QUOTE,,]

If there is 20 objects in the ground [one sweep] nonferrous, PLEASE tell me this spot!!!
You can eliminate some pull tabs if one blocks 13 & 14 numbers. This will allow lots of gold through.
The KEY to avoiding iron is the double ring in all metal. Tell me how many of these nails single ring from all directions!

Dave

OP
OP

66elkie

Greenie
Mar 26, 2019
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT (rainbow)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I look forward to getting to know this machine. It will be a learning curve for sure!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It most certainly will if all the items in the ground are non ferrous. The recovery speed of the Nox is one of it's best features. If you discriminate out aluminum pull tabs you also discriminate out gold jewelry. Even larger iron will not be discriminated out when you have the iron range discriminated out, and the Nox is fairly easily fooled by some rusty nails.[/QUOTE,,]

If there is 20 objects in the ground [one sweep] nonferrous, PLEASE tell me this spot!!!
You can eliminate some pull tabs if one blocks 13 & 14 numbers. This will allow lots of gold through.
The KEY to avoiding iron is the double ring in all metal. Tell me how many of these nails single ring from all directions!

Dave

I have recently been hunting a school yard only made in the early 60s and there are so many coins (99% clad) there my machine beeps at LEAST 6-10 times per sweep. Many old nails ring up from both directions and they sometimes ring up in the mid 20s. Again, discing out 13 and 14 you will miss MANY gold targets, this is gospel and known to all who hunt gold jewelry. Gold comes in many karats and different alloys and jewelry in many shapes all of which cause a wide range of TID numbers including 13 and 14. Sounds like you have a lot to learn my friend. Old bent square nails will give you fits when hunting colonial sites. Discrimination is not the friend of gold seekers. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, period!! Most experienced hunters hunt with 0 disc or only iron notched out and most hunt by tones more than TID.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true...the Minelab Safari I have is a really great detector, but the recovery speed rather slow, whereas on the EQ, really fast, really good in trashy areas, you will like it. Good choice. One more thing, I have found a good # of nickels coming in at 13, if fact I have become so use to detecting in field 2 with multi-tones, that I always seem to go back to it. I will add that I have never found so many nickels as I have with the EQ.

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently been hunting a school yard only made in the early 60s and there are so many coins (99% clad) there my machine beeps at LEAST 6-10 times per sweep. Many old nails ring up from both directions and they sometimes ring up in the mid 20s. Again, discing out 13 and 14 you will miss MANY gold targets, this is gospel and known to all who hunt gold jewelry. Gold comes in many karats and different alloys and jewelry in many shapes all of which cause a wide range of TID numbers including 13 and 14. Sounds like you have a lot to learn my friend. Old bent square nails will give you fits when hunting colonial sites. Discrimination is not the friend of gold seekers. He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff, period!! Most experienced hunters hunt with 0 disc or only iron notched out and most hunt by tones more than TID.

OK Boss. Keep diggin all those holes!!!! :icon_thumright:
By the way, you did not tell me how many of those nails single ring in horseshoe mode [all metal] WELL, you kind to touched on it. But the fact almost 95% of nails will double ring in [B]the horseshoe mode[/B], that goes for ALL Ferrous targets Yes there would be a few exceptions. But this would be an important item to tell a new hunter, NO?
Also can you explain what "0" Disc is on an Equinox?
Can you also tell me what range of numbers gold comes in on the Equinox?
Thanks Dave

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice, don't discriminate anything out until you learn the machine. Dig everything at least until you learn what's what. It won't take you long to get up to speed with it, trust me. I went from a Tesoro to an AT Pro to the Nox 800, no hang-ups. Just take the time to learn the machine and before you know it you'll be killing it with your new Nox.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I guess I can not wait! New hunters need good info! YES gold can and does come in all over the map. HOWEVER eliminating the main pull-tab number in your area CAN save you time and that extra time could lead to more finds!
I urge newbies, or if you have not seen md-hunter's
gold test PLEASE do a google search. As for my own results I personally have not found a "13 or 14" number gold target yet. HOWEVER, I have found this last year.
Gold Silver.JPG

NONE of those rings come in at 13 or 14. Also I personally have NOT notched out any numbers. The gold chains up front" The left one a SOLID "8" The right one a solid "1"

If you look at MD-Hunters chart. Not many 13-14 finds would be lost compared to the rest.

Dave

JMac48

Dec 17, 2013
Well I guess I can not wait! New hunters need good info! YES gold can and does come in all over the map. HOWEVER eliminating the main pull-tab number in your area CAN save you time and that extra time could lead to more finds!
I urge newbies, or if you have not seen md-hunter's
gold test PLEASE do a google search. As for my own results I personally have not found a "13 or 14" number gold target yet. HOWEVER, I have found this last year.
View attachment 1893042

NONE of those rings come in at 13 or 14. Also I personally have NOT notched out any numbers. The gold chains up front" The left one a SOLID "8" The right one a solid "1"

If you look at MD-Hunters chart. Not many 13-14 finds would be lost compared to the rest.

Dave

Soooo now you are telling people new at detecting not to dig pull tab signals. Hmm everyone I started off listening to has said to dig them.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo now you are telling people new at detecting not to dig pull tab signals. Hmm everyone I started off listening to has said to dig them.

That is not what I am saying at all. I am just making the point if you do decide to stop digging some tabs it is not fatal to finding gold. Even though I do not notch out those numbers there are conditions here where the beach goes calm and pull tabs are EVERYWHERE. On those days I do not dig any 13-14 targets that lock in solid. The urban myth of blocking tabs and not finding gold should be taken the the woodshed and left there!

AGAIN it is all a personal choice, but not digging pull tabs. does not mean you will not find gold with an Equinox. I will not plagiarize any one's work, so please google MDhunters gold chart for the Equinox

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions