Horse shoe or No Horse shoe
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Horse shoe or No Horse shoe

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    11454 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Horse shoe or No Horse shoe

This question is for more experienced Equinox users. Do you use the horse shoe button to hear the iron or only sparingly to decide on iffy signals?

I have been running with horse shoe on all the time (but the iron segment volume is turned down), mostly hunting around old cellar holes. If I turn it off, it doesn’t feel right. Recently have been going out with some other Nox users that only use it sparingly.

I also read an excerpt from Clive’s book and it seemed to imply more depth not using horse shoe.

What are y’all doing with this feature?
    sprailroad likes this.

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    523 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I never use it.

Matt
    pa-dirt_nc-sand likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9341 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I like to hear everything all the time.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Dec 2017
    Franklin, KY
    Equinox 800 XP Deus Vanquish 540
    199 times
    Metal Detecting
    I leave it on and just turn the iron volume down. If you are cherry picking a clean park or field,then it doesn't matter that much. If you are hunting an iron infested site and trying to squeeze the last few targets out, then you might miss a partially masked target. Some of those iffy signals can be easier to pass over because of how the digital audio gets clipped. You can also miss good targets much the same way by notching. Co-mingled target tones can be pulled down lower depending on what the lower conductive target is.
    vferrari, AARC, dts52 and 1 others like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    213 times
    Relic Hunting
    Although I agree with 67GTO and cudamark, I'm a bit older and I can't listen to that many sounds for that long, so I've been using the horseshoe mostly to check targets. Many times I'll turn it on away from the cellar hole just in case there is a cabin site or other building, but even then I've found you can still hear the iron as the Nox sputters over nails even without the horseshoe.

us
    Dec 2017
    Franklin, KY
    Equinox 800 XP Deus Vanquish 540
    199 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by charlives View Post
    Although I agree with 67GTO and cudamark, I'm a bit older and I can't listen to that many sounds for that long, so I've been using the horseshoe mostly to check targets. Many times I'll turn it on away from the cellar hole just in case there is a cabin site or other building, but even then I've found you can still hear the iron as the Nox sputters over nails even without the horseshoe.
    Have you tried playing with the iron volume? You can turn it down to a really low level in the background. If I leave it on the default level, I get ear fatigue after 2-3 hours in heavy iron.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and charlives like this.

us
    Jul 2020
    NC
    Equinox 600
    17 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's interesting, the idea that having it off increases depth -- I have found just the opposite. I typically leave it on for depth, and because I like to hear a more complete picture of what's under the ground. I turn it off occasionally in especially trashy areas when I am feeling overwhelmed by the constant audio.

Charter Member
    us
    Master of My Domain

Jul 2015
    Near Ground Zero for Insanity
    XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
    7865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    I leave it on and just turn the iron volume down. If you are cherry picking a clean park or field,then it doesn't matter that much. If you are hunting an iron infested site and trying to squeeze the last few targets out, then you might miss a partially masked target. Some of those iffy signals can be easier to pass over because of how the digital audio gets clipped. You can also miss good targets much the same way by notching. Co-mingled target tones can be pulled down lower depending on what the lower conductive target is.
    Couldn't have said it better. Iffy signals that may have a ferrous component due to masking or depth down averaging get clipped with discrimination. If the ferrous tone is driving you nuts 1) make sure you are ground balanced because the ground noise will overwhelm and 2) lower the bin 1 tone volume.
    pa-dirt_nc-sand and AARC like this.
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."

"Sit down and shut up, will ya? Try not to live up to all my expectations."

us
    Member of Northwest Treasure Hunters

Nov 2013
    Spokane Wa
    Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil Whites MX Sport With Detec
    2581 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ditto leave it on all the time. It helps me pick out more masked targets. Definitely has made a difference in finds in hunted out areas
    Here's a link to my finds

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gr...-pictures.html

Happy Hunting MackDog

us
    Jul 2019
    SW Pennsylvania
    ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
    895 times
    Metal Detecting
    I run with it on all the time. I like to hear everything in the ground....to me, thats what a detector is for. I think with it on it seems to pull the good targets out of the iron....just gotta learn to hear them!

Charter Member

Aug 2014
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pa-dirt_nc-sand View Post
    This question is for more experienced Equinox users. Do you use the horse shoe button to hear the iron or only sparingly to decide on iffy signals?

I have been running with horse shoe on all the time (but the iron segment volume is turned down), mostly hunting around old cellar holes. If I turn it off, it doesn’t feel right. Recently have been going out with some other Nox users that only use it sparingly.

I also read an excerpt from Clive’s book and it seemed to imply more depth not using horse shoe.

What are y’all doing with this feature?
    Well you never told us WHERE you are hunting? I would NEVER uses "horseshoe mode" at a salt water beach with direct water contact.
    HOWEVER: I go to horseshoe mode to decide on all targets to dig.

For me the horseshoe mode is the TRUTH MODE! I used the truth mode many times today!

There most definitely is a purpose for that mode! In my case there are too many targets to run it all the time, and in salt water contact it is too unstable!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9341 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by midalake View Post
    Well you never told us WHERE you are hunting? I would NEVER uses "horseshoe mode" at a salt water beach with direct water contact.
    HOWEVER: I go to horseshoe mode to decide on all targets to dig.

For me the horseshoe mode is the TRUTH MODE! I used the truth mode many times today!

There most definitely is a purpose for that mode! In my case there are too many targets to run it all the time, and in salt water contact it is too unstable!
    That's one area where I make SURE it's on. I just wish I could figure a way to make it the default on my machine. Sometimes I forget to punch the button when I first start out.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1295 times
    This is what I do most of the time too, turn down the iron volume in the first bin. Depending on the site though, I do sometimes turn it off and use the horseshoe for verification. Some of the spots I hunt are just too trashy with iron bits (ghost towns) and even with the iron volume down it's gets annoying after a while.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    9386 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Best to leave it on all the time IMO... That way you learn what a masked target sounds like and if your a relic hunter it is a must ...or it is for the way we hunt. If you use the horseshoe to check targets you might be messing up if you hunting in iron... Now that is coming from a pure relic hunter point of view.

Well even if you are coin hunting it would at least alert you to slow down as there is a ton of iron under feet....

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Charter Member
    us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
    1665 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I leave it on. I have a 600 so I cant adjust the volume. I've become accustomed to the noise and just consider it part of the detectors language. If I dont hear iron, im constantly swinging over my boot to make sure my detectors working. Always throws my concentration off when things are too quiet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links