Equinox 800 New Shaft?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That closeup shows that they definitely changed to a more robust camlock design. Looks nothing like their first two iterations. So looks like some improvement there.

I suppose I am spoiled by SteveG's high quality CF detector rod craftsmanship and attention to detail which is a high bar for any detector rod manufacturer to hurdle.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the very kind words, vferrari! I appreciate it!

One thing I will add, is that I looked at those "anti-twist" carbon-fiber tubes, with the "anti-rotation" groove. One of my carbon-fiber tube suppliers began producing them last year, and wanted to send me a set for inspection -- so I agreed. My conclusion though was two-fold -- one, is what you said about transporting the detector. Sometimes you WANT your coil to be able to "rotate," for storage/transport purposes. Further, when I hunt, I like to have my control box "turned inward" toward my body slightly. In other words, I rotate the control box/handle perhaps 10 degrees "off" from being perfectly lined up with my coil. This slightly inward-canting of the handle/control box allows me to see the screen a bit better. So, that's another reason why being able to turn your lower rod -- relative to the upper shaft -- can be useful. And with the "anti-rotation channel," that would not be possible.

The other thing though, the MAIN thing, is that any "anti-rotation" assistance -- be it a "channel," or the traditional spring button/button hole design, or whatever -- is rendered ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY by the use of a proper, heavy-duty cam lock. A proper cam lock will not only offer rock-solid attachment security between two tube sections, but it should also offer user adjustability of the clamping tension. When a user has complete control over exactly how tightly their cam lock clamps their shaft sections together (thus being able to adjust the clamping tension as needed, so as to ensure rock-solid connection of their shaft sections), then there IS NO ISSUE with shaft section rotation, as it is not possible. And thus, there is no need for any "anti-rotation" device. I all boils down to proper cam lock design.

My GUESS is that with the "light-duty" cam locks Tele-Knox was initially using, such an "anti-rotation" design was necessary -- the cam locks were not able to clamp securely enough by themselves, and so that "supplemental assistance" in terms of shaft section connection was needed (it's the same reason Minelab's Equinox shaft REQUIRES the spring button/button hole design -- due to their "light duty" twist locks). However, with the new, high-quality cam locks that Tele-Knox has begun using (very similar to mine), that "anti-rotation channel" has been rendered moot; the channel is now entirely unnecessary (and possibly even, for the aforementioned reasons, a hindrance at times).

Steve

Last edited:

High Noon

Greenie
Feb 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

I have quite a few metal detectors and I’ve never even thought or needed to turn the control unit off center. In fact all my detectors are permanently bolted in center position. A moot point for sure. Again using the well engineered grooved Tel-Nox shaft prevents any twisting or movements including the control box by using their included bottom module that fits in the bottom groove. They even provide the tools and a few extra parts! Another thing that really impressed me is each section has a different size groove so each slides into the next and this also prevents any movements between each section. Again this square groove adds strength to the shaft for reduced flexing. As I stated above at my age I’m not easily impressed but this new Tel-Nox Carbon Fiber shaft is very well designed and made!

High Noon

https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/

US Dealers carrying the Tel-Nox products:

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...and=detecting-innovations&query_type_brand=or

TELE-KNOX Detecting-Innovations Telescopic Red/Black Shaft for the Minelab Equinox Series of Detectors - North Georgia Relics and Metal Detectors

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

I have quite a few metal detectors and I’ve never even thought or needed to turn the control unit off center. In fact all my detectors are permanently bolted in center position. A moot point for sure. Again using the well engineered grooved Tel-Nox shaft prevents any twisting or movements including the control box by using their included bottom module that fits in the bottom groove. They even provide the tools and a few extra parts! Another thing that really impressed me is each section has a different size groove so each slides into the next and this also prevents any movements between each section. Again this square groove adds strength to the shaft for reduced flexing. As I stated above at my age I’m not easily impressed but this new Tel-Nox Carbon Fiber shaft is very well designed and made!

High Noon

https://www.detecting-innovations.co.uk/

US Dealers carrying the Tel-Nox products:

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...and=detecting-innovations&query_type_brand=or

TELE-KNOX Detecting-Innovations Telescopic Red/Black Shaft for the Minelab Equinox Series of Detectors - North Georgia Relics and Metal Detectors

It's just a personal preference hence a no-win argument. Glad you're happy, but others are going to prefer a rotatable shaft like Steve's rods for transport with no need for a groove to keep the shaft strong and twist free during use because the cam locks he uses are high end.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Long thread and thanks for the photo bomb above... I had Pluggers shaft on my Excal for like 5 yrs before i sold it and it was great. I then went with Pluggers for the NOX and it didn't last 7 months before the got severely sloppy and overall just re+arded. I just bought the Detect-Ed red CF 2 pc shaft. Looks great. Makes the POD look poopy though. I like the cam lock. Hopefully it holds up and or doesn't trash the lower shaft from accidental over torquing.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a personal preference hence a no-win argument. Glad you're happy, but others are going to prefer a rotatable shaft like Steve's rods for transport with no need for a groove to keep the shaft strong and twist free during use because the cam locks he uses are high end.

Exactly like Detect Ed Does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread